It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:23

Fitting plasterboard inside timber frame

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Fitting plasterboard inside timber frame

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Oct 2021, 09:15

Just in case this is of any use to anyone. I am plaster boarding inside my new oak timber framed room. I'm using acoustic plaster board in this case, double thickness in a few parts. It has to be fitted between oak posts on the sides, cill beneath and beam above. Everything is very close to square but not always perfect.

I know normally you score and snap plasterboard, but in many cases I need to trim off just a narrow strip. I've found that the tracksaw, with vacuum attached, does this brilliantly, leaving a very clean edge and no mess. Very quick too. It minimises gap filling as I am seeking not to skim and plaster over the boards, just decorate them.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Fitting plasterboard inside timber frame

Postby novocaine » 08 Oct 2021, 12:01

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marshalltown ... lsrc=aw.ds

oh and get a new blade for the tracksaw when you're done. the fibre in the board will kill the TC in short order.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Oct 2021, 13:23

Thanks novocaine. In this case I put on an old Mafell TCT blade that is in my collection of blades for various saws ready to go off for resharpening. It has worked very well to get very neat, crisp edges, and it gives a clean cut on the paper both sides.

Thanks for the surform link.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Oct 2021, 20:23

A surform is my answer. Plasterboarding is messy anyway, so I just try to make all the mess in one pile.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Oct 2021, 20:29

I have one of the old original surforms so will give that a go now you guys have suggested it, but I find the tracksaw does a superb job with zero dust and mess (due to connected vac) and I can trim down to 1mm. Its a right faff getting super tight fits inside oak beaming, but I'm quite pleased with how it's gone.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 10 Oct 2021, 00:44

Interesting, wouldn’t have dreamt of doing that, I always keep an old hard point saw for plasterboard work, over the years I have used handsaws a great deal and find it easy to do accurate cuts, including around curves.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Return to General Woodworking