It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:23

Has anyone here ever made a coffin?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Has anyone here ever made a coffin?

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 Dec 2021, 20:43

I've mentioned here before that my best friend, Stuart, is dying. I saw him last week and we said our goodbyes. But I've spoken to him again this evening. He sounds weak, but in good spirits and seems to think that he still has weeks rather than days. I hope he is right.

And then he asked me something I did not expect. He wants me to make his coffin. It would, of course, be an immense privilege, but I don't know anything about their construction. Whilst he would think it hilarious if he fell out of the bottom of the box twixt hearse and crem, that is not something that would do my reputation much good....

So I would really like to do him proud with this, but not much idea where to start.

He is going to research the rules and regs, if there are any, and then we are going to build it together, as far as that is possible.

Anyone got any tips? I'm flying blind here.
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 20 Dec 2021, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Has anyone here ever made a coffin?

Postby novocaine » 08 Dec 2021, 20:51

I made one. It was 6" long and had the words man hood written on the top.

Bride in the day was not impressed. God i was a tit when i was younger.

More recently i did an assessment for a mobile furnace/crem following a door failure that could have resulted in fatalities if it had dropped on someone (still alive).

This was one of the inputs.

https://saifinsight.co.uk/industry-body ... ng-scheme/
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Lurker » 08 Dec 2021, 20:52

Assuming your friend is sorting other things for the inevitable, has he contacted a funeral director?
They would be best placed to advise.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 Dec 2021, 21:05

Good Q. I would be astonished if he hasn't, but I'll check.

Actually, maybe I wouldn't be totally astonished. It's not mandatory to use an undertaker, you can do a DIY job quite legally, and Stuart is not financially profligate...

I told my mate Charlie, who said, "Is the cheapskate expecting Mate's Rates?" You've got to laugh where you can.

I know of one bloke who was simply buried in his own field. They had to get permission for it to be a legal burial, but there was no problem getting that.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 08 Dec 2021, 21:13

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Steve.

This webpage I've found with a quick google seems to have some very good information:

https://whiterosemodernfunerals.co.uk/how-to-build-your-own-coffin/

There appears to be a lot of materials you can't use in a cremation so it's probably worth calling an undertaker/crematorium to verify your design, as Lurker says.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2021, 21:55

If you are able to do it Steve what a wonderful thing to do.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 Dec 2021, 22:05

It is, indeed, Andy. I'm sitting here laughing and with tears rolling down my cheeks at the same time.
There is lots of research to be done in a short space of time.

T - thanks for that link, I'm working my way through it.

S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 09 Dec 2021, 00:20

Chris Schwarz covered this well a few years ago. Go to this page and scroll down a bit for a pdf download of instructions, foc

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/10/1 ... n-chapter/
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 09 Dec 2021, 00:24

Apparently coffins need to be lined to make them waterproof.

There's a lot of info about DIY funerals on the Good Funeral Guide website.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Cabinetman » 09 Dec 2021, 01:33

I’ve thought a few times- usually at funerals- how is that joint at the shoulder line done? No doubt I’m about to find out!
Your saying about your mate falling through the bottom reminded me of a friends funeral, a very Eco Architect, he had specified a wicker coffin which looked superb, trouble was that as it was carried in, it creaked and squeaked most alarmingly, he would have loved it! Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Dec 2021, 08:17

Most things covered I think but having recent experience of this I remember asking questions and materials are specified as to what is/isn’t allowed so that will be your key area of research. There’s stuff around what metals can’t be used plus other things that I can’t remember.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Pete Maddex » 09 Dec 2021, 09:16

Roy Underhill did a coffin build

https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-s ... -pine-box/

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 09 Dec 2021, 10:45

I think I am going to specify an unfaced chipboard one.
If they can get the sheet off a skip so much the better.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 09 Dec 2021, 10:47

Melamine faced chipboard is used (used to work for a company that supplied coffin makers)

What about the very straight forward no frills Jewish pine coffin? All straight side construction and rope handles.

When I worked in the corrugated industry they tried using double wall corrugated board. Made a nice looking coffin, but it just was not 'smart' enough. They also tried marketing it up in Africa, just did not get acceptance.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Steve Maskery » 14 Dec 2021, 08:05

Well after a bit of misunderstanding about what was wanted, we have agreed a design.
coffin tapered.jpg
(100.56 KiB)
Simple, clean lines.
And I've learned a lot so far. There is a coffin manufacturer just round the corner from where I live. Steve Soult. I paid a visit and the lady there was very helpful indeed.

This is not a coffin, it's a casket.

It can't be made of any old wood, it has to be FSC certificated. They have their own FSC stamp and the crematorium will look on the underside of the coffin for such a stamp. I don't have one, of course, because I'm not certificated, so this morning's task is to ring the Superintendant at the crem to find out what I need to do for him to accept my casket,

It is normally lined with a layer of plastic, to contain any fluids, so you have to be carefult what you staple where.

The body is packed around with wadding. I assumed that everything would be natural materials like cotton, but they use polymers as well. The lining that you see is satin rather than cotton because to burns so well. The idea is to get everything as hot as possible as quickly as possible.

The above is in "normal" times, if you can remember those. Because of Covid, there are no unwrapped bodies inside. The body will be in a body bag, which will do all the necessary containment, so I don't think I have to worry about upholstery at all. I'll know for sure after I've spoken to the crem.

The handles are just for show and the Superintendent may ask for there to be no handles at all.

The casket must be labeled with the occupant's name, by law.

So yesterday I bought a couple of cubic feet of Unsorted and today I have a lot of planing up to do.
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 14 Dec 2021, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 14 Dec 2021, 13:46

:text-bravo:
This is a lovely thing you are doing, Steve.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Dec 2021, 13:49

Lurker wrote::text-bravo:
This is a lovely thing you are doing, Steve.

Agreed, a lot more complex than it first appears - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 14 Dec 2021, 20:46

Thanks, chaps. I didn't say yesterday, but when I went to measure him up, I was met by his son. Stuart was asleep, so we sat and had a cup of coffee for 10 minutes. He told me that Stuart was "over the moon" that I had agreed to do this. I'll take that.

Today I rang the Superintendent's office (apparently it's an E. AttendAnt. SuperintendEnt. A pedant's nightmare). There is no-one in post at the mo, but the lady who answered the phone was very helpful.

If it is obviously pine, I don't have to worry about proving FSC status.

I don't have to worry about lining the coffin (the body bag will do the necessary).

Rope handles are OK, but they would prefer natural jute to polypropylene. That is not a problem (eBay is my friend) but I am quite surprised, given the other references to flammability.

We have decided to get Stuart to sign his name with a Sharpie, and then transfer that to the coffin and burn it in with a pyro iron.

I'm not sure I've measured him up right, I've asked his wife to check. The last thing I want is for him to be squeezed into place, nor should he be free to move around (for reasons of balance). I'm not actually certain I've bought enough wood.

One thing that this episode has brought home to me is how fast things can go pear-shaped. Within one week he went from apparently tickety-boo, to being ill, to have a paliative care package in place.

One. Week.

So when this is done, I'm going to crack on with my dining chairs, which have taken a bit of a back seat (ha-ha) whilst I've been having fun with a little birthday project for the first lady with whom I ever fell in love, and then I'm going to build my own. If been thinking about for many years (if I get enough notice, etc, etc), but I now realise it may be too late by then. So if I do it now it will be ready whether I need it in 20 weeks or 20 years. I hope it's not just 20 weeks, but who knows? I rather hope it's not going to be another 20 years, to be honest. Enough is enough.
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 14 Dec 2021, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Vann » 14 Dec 2021, 21:01

I too think it's a great thing you're doing for your mate. He obviously thinks so too. Prefect.

Steve Maskery wrote:...and then I'm going to build my own. If been thinking about for many years...

Me too. I want to build my own using only hand tools. Pine, rope handles.

Trouble is, as my wife points out, the way I finish projects, I won't be able to die until 2095 :oops:

Steve Maskery wrote:...I rather hope it's not gong to be another 20 years, to be honest. Enough is enough.

Hear, hear. The last thing I want is to develop dementia and hang around as a burden for years like my mother did - and there's a lot of dementia on my mother's side (I think 7 out of 8 siblings).

Cheers, Vann (who has recently turned 66).
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 14 Dec 2021, 21:06

Thanks for this thread Steve. It's a useful reminder of how it's good to be unsentimental about some things and indulgent on others. (Hint to others - do follow the link in Steve's last post!)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Lons » 14 Dec 2021, 21:19

Steve Maskery wrote:
...I rather hope it's not gong to be another 20 years, to be honest. Enough is enough.

Don't wish your life away Steve, it will disappear quickly enough. :cry:

Not the same but when my dad died I was asked by the family to make a casket for his ashes to be buried in, I had only a few days notice and though like you I felt privileged I did find it very difficult emotionally, a few years later mum asked me if I'd do the same for her and I just put it off despite pressure from her over a few years, one day I decided to make it but didn't tell her and typically the following week she said "I've had second thoughts, I don't want to tempt fate" so I never told her and she lasted another 4 years before it was needed.
As you said you'll shed a lot of tears but it's a very worthwhile thing you're doing :eusa-clap:

Bob

PS
I used to do a lot of marquetry and well over 40 years ago I found a coffin manufacturer who gave me loads of large offcuts in exchange for a bagful of trout, I still have a stash of veneers and they were mostly elm, oak and mahogany which they glued on to chipboard, they didn't use the heavily figures veneers which were perfect for my use. it's very likely regs are much tighter now of course.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Steve Maskery » 20 Dec 2021, 17:03

Well I've not been idle on this, but until now it's been graft.

I bought a couple of cubic feet of Unsorted. Nice stuff, but the yard had only 6x1s, so four boards were a bit shy for the width I needed. But I had a cunning plan.

Mill everything up.

thicknessing.JPG
(221.54 KiB)

Arrange boards to hide the few knots that there are, and register which board goes where with an assembly triangle. It's difficult to see in the photograph, but it is there, I promise.. Mark biscuit positions.

marking for biscuits.JPG
(171.89 KiB)

The biscuits are not for strength, and I haven't even glued them in, but they help enormously with alignment.

biscuiting.JPG
(182.26 KiB)

Glue the boards together for the top

clamping.JPG
(236.65 KiB)

Then cut the taper, starting about 500mm from the top

tapering sides of bottom.JPG
(248.22 KiB)

Then glue the tapered offcuts back on at the top end to get my required width. Ta-daaaa!

gluing tapers back on.JPG
(255.29 KiB)

glued base.JPG
(175.35 KiB)

The side and end panels are all now cut to finished width, so tomorrow I shall be cutting grooves, rebates and other joinery.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 20 Dec 2021, 18:03

give that man a mince pie, I think he deserves it.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AndyT » 20 Dec 2021, 18:07

:text-+1:
I'll wager that's a really emotional workshop session there.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Steve Maskery » 20 Dec 2021, 20:22

Thank you both.
You're not kidding, Andy. I have shed tears in my workshop on this, though now I'm getting into it, it is actually becoming easier, more like an ordinary project.
I'm waiting for some carbon paper so that I can transfer his signature to the wood. I'm not expecting that to be an easy ride.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking