It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

Merry Christmas to...Me!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Merry Christmas to...Me!

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 17:10

As many of you know mum Mum sadly passed away earlier this year, long before her time at only 66 years of age. As so many of us find, she always joked about being worth more dead than alive what with her various life policies etc.

She never had much during her life but she planned for her untimely death, leaving my sister and I some money, not a large amount but substantial enough to make a dent in the mortgage. Obviously I'd give it all back to have her back and healthy, but sadly it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I was talking with Mrs Trim the other day and she asked what I was going to buy myself with it? Myself? Says I, I hadn't really thought about that, just assumed we'd bung it on the mortgage and in my pension...

She said i should buy myself something, in the way that when her Dad passed, her mum gave her some money and said she should use it just for her, to do whatever she wanted with.

I'd been idly mulling over buying myself something anyway, before this, but couldn't justify it, so then I revisited. I've had a 10" compound mitre saw, one of B&Q's Performance Power range, for a good 20 years, and while it's served me well, taken a pounding, the guard is shot and it is what it is, an £80 saw.

I was thinking of replacing it with something decent to go in the workshop, so after mulling over this and the Festool, I decided I just couldn't justify the significant extra outlay for the Festool and so the Bosch it is!

IMG_6397D.JPG
(322.35 KiB)

gcm121.jpeg
(109.4 KiB)

Reviews looks blooming good for it, but worryingly I did find one thread, post ordering, saying someone had found that the alignment of the blade at full extension was 5mm to the left of the line when at minimum extension so I'll have to set it up quick and check. I would have thought it would have been all over the internet if that was a common fault, and he bought second hand, so I'm hoping it's either a Friday PM machine or was damaged before he bought.

Either way, Thank you Mummy T. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Merry Christmas to...Me!

Postby Andyp » 22 Dec 2021, 17:17

Good for you Mark,
Can’t wait to see what you do with it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AndyT » 22 Dec 2021, 17:19

I bet you'll remember her with gratitude every time you use it.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 22 Dec 2021, 17:20

I've always been a fan of the glide mechanism and been waiting for a 250 or even 200mm version to no avail
I went a looked at the 300mm and is just too big in the location where I'd use it.

Still envious of your new toy nevertheless Mark!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 17:21

AndyT wrote:I bet you'll remember her with gratitude every time you use it.

Absolutely mate, might even name it after her, she did have a sharp tongue and cutting wit when she wanted to! :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Dec 2021, 17:33

Well, fond memories and she was clearly a sensible woman.

I've had that saw (and the trolley for it) for a few years. It's done thousands of cuts, I am on my third blade, and it has never missed a beat. Spot on accurate from day one, and stayed that way even when I knocked the trolley and saw over with a digger.

Extraction is nigh on useless as you will discover (the air path is convoluted, which doesn't help, but in my experience of both this saw and a smaller Festool, the only thing that is better about the Festool is that the tilt mechanism is much easier to use. You've made a good purchase there.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Dec 2021, 17:35

PS. Tools are never for "yourself". This is a bad mistake to make. Tools are essential equipment, bought only out of necessity and always used for the good of the family and to avoid wasting family cash on tradesmen, cads and charlatans.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 22 Dec 2021, 18:21

Nice way to remember your mum mate
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 18:30

AJB Temple wrote:Well, fond memories and she was clearly a sensible woman.

I've had that saw (and the trolley for it) for a few years. It's done thousands of cuts, I am on my third blade, and it has never missed a beat. Spot on accurate from day one, and stayed that way even when I knocked the trolley and saw over with a digger.

Extraction is nigh on useless as you will discover (the air path is convoluted, which doesn't help, but in my experience of both this saw and a smaller Festool, the only thing that is better about the Festool is that the tilt mechanism is much easier to use. You've made a good purchase there.

Ah good to hear, thanks Adrian. All the reviews and YT videos I watched suggested it was a good choice, just this one that I saw raised an eyebrow, but as I say it would be all over the web if that was a common issue.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 18:31

AJB Temple wrote:PS. Tools are never for "yourself". This is a bad mistake to make. Tools are essential equipment, bought only out of necessity and always used for the good of the family and to avoid wasting family cash on tradesmen, cads and charlatans.

Haha, of course that's my go to phrase and Mrs Trim is well aware. It might take me a lot longer than GALMI but inevitably costs a LOT less and is generally done better due to my tendency to over-engineer!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Phil Pascoe » 22 Dec 2021, 18:53

AJB Temple wrote:PS. Tools are never for "yourself". This is a bad mistake to make. Tools are essential equipment, bought only out of necessity and always used for the good of the family and to avoid wasting family cash on tradesmen, cads and charlatans.

Fortunately my loved one sees things this way as well. Many moons ago she moaned at an expense and I said quite simply would you rather I paid a £100 for the tool or £100 to someone else for doing the job that I can't do because I haven't the gear? She's not questioned anything since.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Blackswanwood » 22 Dec 2021, 19:15

looks like a good choice and sound advice from Mrs T.

I always seem to find an online review just after I’ve bought something that makes me wonder if I’ve done the right thing. I think it’s just Bill Gates having a laugh though :D
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Phil Pascoe » 22 Dec 2021, 20:58

I'm wary of online reviews. I saw one of an extremely good chainsaw that someone had given one star ........................ because it was delivered with no petrol in it. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Dec 2021, 21:44

You won't be disappointed. The only thing that is slightly less than excellent is the trenching facility. Mine has a bit of bounce in it, but as I hardly ever need to use it, it doesn't bother me. In every other respect it is superb.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Dec 2021, 22:06

Steve has a good point about the trenching facility. I'd forgotten that. There is not enough adjustment in the blade depth limiter to allow really shallow trench cuts, and to use the centre of the blade (to avoid curvature at the end of the cut) you need to find a way of holding the workpiece well out from the fence. So it requires fiddling about with to trench cut tenons for example. I keep meaning to make a modification to mine.

It would also be good if the two laser lines could be adjusted (maybe they can) to exactly match the blade kerf too. You can get absolutely wafer thin, accurate cuts and end trims with this saw, and a sharp blade will leave a super clean, almost mirror face. Superb saw. I really rate mine.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Dec 2021, 22:17

I'd forgotten about the laser. Yes, not a lot of use, TBH. It is adjustable (though I forget how), it's just that it isn't really razor sharp. But just mark you line and cut to that.
But laser and trenching aside I'd still give it a very solid 8/10.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 22:46

Cheers chaps, getting good feelings about my decision.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Phil Pascoe » 22 Dec 2021, 22:50

AJB Temple wrote:Steve has a good point about the trenching facility. I'd forgotten that. There is not enough adjustment in the blade depth limiter to allow really shallow trench cuts ...

I haven't tried them yet and won't for a few months but I picked up a Hitachi 250mm saw and a couple of smaller diameter blades (a fiver each for decent quality nos blades :) ) thinking that might give me a few more depth options.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Dec 2021, 22:57

IIRC the trenching adjuster is just length of M8, so it would be easy enough to replace it with a longer piece.
And the scoop problem at the back can be overome in many cases simply by packing out at the rear. Not for 12" wide boards, no, but for anything up to (not measured it, just guessing) 8" or so.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 22 Dec 2021, 23:11

Mark,

Having tools that remind you of your Mum is a great idea. I have a number of things my Mum and Dad bought, I think of them every time I use them.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Dec 2021, 23:19

The annoying thing Steve, I find, using the trencher, is that if you want to do shallow cuts, and switch between that and full cuts, you need to remove the depth stop screw. And it has a spring fitted (for obvious reasons) so it is a faff to take in and out. What I need to do is work out a quick release depth stop that has micro adjustment.

Sorry Mark. You will soon discover this. It's not a fault of the saw - just a facet of all saws of this type with people who try to push them beyond the design brief.

PS, the standard Bosch blade is very good. I only bought extras for flexibility when I send one away for sharpening.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Dec 2021, 23:56

AJB Temple wrote:The annoying thing Steve, I find, using the trencher, is that if you want to do shallow cuts, and switch between that and full cuts, you need to remove the depth stop screw. And it has a spring fitted (for obvious reasons) so it is a faff to take in and out. What I need to do is work out a quick release depth stop that has micro adjustment.

I don't think that mine is like that, Adrian. There is a slider. Move it over to reveal an aperture for the depth stop, slide it back to act as a stop.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 23 Dec 2021, 00:31

I have one and it's a great saw but I also have a slider that is about 3-4 mm out on the slide with the blade not parallel with the slide. It has not been abused and there have been a few reports of similar problems from new on the Bosch Owners Group forum in the states. Unfortunately I did not realise until it was out of warrantee as I had used it for cutting large sections but not using the slider for any work that required any level of accuracy.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Merry Christmas to...Me!

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Dec 2021, 00:33

HappyHacker wrote:I have one and it's a great saw but I also have a slider that is about 3-4 mm out on the slide with the blade not parallel with the slide. It has not been abused and there have been a few reports of similar problems from new on the Bosch Owners Group forum in the states. Unfortunately I did not realise until it was out of warrantee as I had used it for cutting large sections but not using the slider for any work that required any level of accuracy.

Thanks for that, I’ll be having a close look at mine in the next day or so and will be checking that very carefully.

I struggle to understand how it can work st all with that discrepancy though. It being out by 3-4mm to the left when fully extended, when you start to push it in it must be trying to go sideways which must surely bind up and burn the sides of the cut?

Cheers
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Trevanion » 23 Dec 2021, 00:48

I've recently been putting a Dewalt DWS780 through its paces and overall I'm quite impressed with it, although I do find it's overbuilt in some places and a bit underwhelming in others. One thing I did notice immediately though was that the blade was whipping side to side by about 0.5mm, so I swapped it for another blade I know to run true and it was throwing the same amount so that would suggest the flanges are out, they've sent new ones FOC but I've yet to receive them. I've come to the conclusion that there are very few new machines to be had that don't come with some kind of manufacturing fault, so long as it gets corrected it's not too big of an issue.

AJB Temple wrote:Steve has a good point about the trenching facility. I'd forgotten that. There is not enough adjustment in the blade depth limiter to allow really shallow trench cuts, and to use the centre of the blade (to avoid curvature at the end of the cut) you need to find a way of holding the workpiece well out from the fence. So it requires fiddling about with to trench cut tenons for example. I keep meaning to make a modification to mine.

If I recall from eons ago, Milwaukee of all manufacturers actually took the trenching facility into account when they were designing their mitre saw (not sure if it's still the case) and the centre of the blade actually ended up finishing just behind the fence so there was no need to put a packing piece in between the workpiece and the fence.

AJB Temple wrote:PS, the standard Bosch blade is very good. I only bought extras for flexibility when I send one away for sharpening.

Bosch own Freud, whether it's blades made by Freud but branded Bosch that go on the saws is another thing. It's always been a consensus that Bosch's supplied blades are pretty good compared with other manufacturers who fit the cheapest rubbish possible.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking