It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:51

Aprons

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Aprons

Postby PAC1 » 27 Dec 2021, 10:19

I have been considering buying an apron. I am fed up of putting things down and then having to search the shop to find a tape measure etc. I have not warn one since school woodworking on the basis that any flappy material is just a death wish and the strap was just to pull you into the machine. I have noticed that some are much tighter fitting and do not go down to your knees. If I get one it will be used on machines and bench. I have seen one that seems ok and the worst people say of it is that it looks new and will do for a long time as the material is bright.
I am not looking to spend much on it so the designer aprons are not going to get considered.
Any suggestions or will I just get the bright one and bury it in the dung heap for a week before I wear it?
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Re: Aprons

Postby Lurker » 27 Dec 2021, 10:47

I have one for much the same reason.
I never wear it :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Dec 2021, 11:00

I prefer to wear a lab coat, press stud fastening. I tried an apron but the open sides and neck just attracted too much debris, especially from the lathe.
Something this
https://www.alsico.co.uk/coat-cotton-rich-315gsm
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Lurker » 27 Dec 2021, 11:14

During the house move, I found a lab coat that I wore when I was around 25. The damn thing has shrunk to an alarming extent. But yes, I agree that would be better than an apron.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 27 Dec 2021, 11:30

Another vote for a lab coat. Plenty of pockets and less dangly bits (oo-er missus) to get trouble with. Of course, if you're not a "normal shape", good luck buying one - I ended up having to ask my mum to make me one as I couldn't buy one with long enough sleeves. Having said that, the advantage of that is that my custom-made one has flame-retardant material (for welding) and a pocket that's perfectly sized for my 150 mm steel rule.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Doug » 27 Dec 2021, 11:31

I like an apron I find them less restrictive than the alternatives, I bought my present one for well under a fiver when on one of the very rare shopping trips with the GLW she tells me the shop was Sostrene Grene I think it sold danishie home wear, this is it

1A16A45B-F100-4D76-B1A6-9F82E2DE7E8F.jpeg
(327.17 KiB)

It’s really quite thick cotton material very hard wearing, a bargain for the price considering I’ve had it a few years now & even though it could really do with a wash it’s still going strong.

FFC1FD98-0160-49D8-A661-309BC88B6489.jpeg
(178.83 KiB)
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 Dec 2021, 11:37

I wear one all the time, I love it. But it is not without its issues.
I wish the straps were less weedy. There are shoulder pads, so it's not as if it digs in, but the straps are quite narrow.
The pockets fill with debris. It would be better if there were a flap covering them.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't be without it now. I might splash out on a posher version.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 27 Dec 2021, 11:46

Interesting the chief machinest where I served my apprenticeship wore a lab coat
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Lurker » 27 Dec 2021, 12:41

PAC1 wrote:Interesting the chief machinest where I served my apprenticeship wore a lab coat

The hidden benefit is that you can wipe your hand on the &£se bits :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Dec 2021, 12:57

I have the Veritas one which is pretty good but I never wear it. It has the cross over straps across your back which is supposed to be an advantage, but it's still a bit of a faff to sort out; plenty of nice deep pockets though for all sorts of rules etc - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 27 Dec 2021, 13:16

I am currently leaning towards the Veritas as all of the big pockets are covered over or accessed in a way chippings are unlikely. Against is the price. The bright one has 21 scoop shaped pockets. At least I could fill my wood burner quickly. It is only 19.99 from Jeff.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Richard » 27 Dec 2021, 14:28

I'm fond of my traditional aprons. I've probably got about twenty of them that I use, get filthy one at a time, rotate for a clean one, and then wash all the filthy ones in a single batch. In reality I've only once that I can recall had an apron get caught up in a machine, and that was on an occasion when I was using a hand held belt sander; I foolishly lifted the untriggered but still running and slowing sander off the piece I was working on and swung it down towards my thigh. It grabbed my pinny and stuffed the material up into the workings. It tool a while to untangle everything, ha, ha.

I usually buy a couple or three new pinnys at a time at a shop called Hewats on Teviot Place in Edinburgh when needed and I'm there catching up with friends and family. They can also supply online if you're interested. Slainte.

Richard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Guineafowl21 » 27 Dec 2021, 14:33

I like my Arkwright-style brown shop coat. Tape measure right pocket, pencil top pocket, other oddments left pocket.

It stops dust and chips getting into my trouser pockets and sleeves (and thereby being transferred to the house). Also looks the part.
Guineafowl21
Sapling

Name:

Postby Lurker » 27 Dec 2021, 17:32

Guineafowl21 wrote:I like my Arkwright-style brown shop coat. Tape measure right pocket, pencil top pocket, other oddments left pocket.

It stops dust and chips getting into my trouser pockets and sleeves (and thereby being transferred to the house). Also looks the part.

Sounds like a good idea, one question: does it make you stutter?
I have already perfected the tight with money element.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 27 Dec 2021, 19:02

I used to have to wear a white lab coat at work but I managed to gradually discard it.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Dec 2021, 19:05

Andyp wrote:I prefer to wear a lab coat, press stud fastening. I tried an apron but the open sides and neck just attracted too much debris, especially from the lathe.
Something this

Now that is a good idea. I have been wearing my more traditional apron a bit since I started doing a little turning, and it just fills up with shavings.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 27 Dec 2021, 19:14

Andyp wrote:I prefer to wear a lab coat, press stud fastening. I tried an apron but the open sides and neck just attracted too much debris, especially from the lathe.
Something this

That takes me back!

When I was at college the lecturers had white overcoats, the technicians had green ones, and students could wear blue ones if they wished.

Mike G wrote:Now that is a good idea. I have been wearing my more traditional apron a bit since I started doing a little turning, and it just fills up with shavings.

That also takes me back :lol:

We had what were called Turner's Smocks by the lathes which were very similar to the coats but the sleeves came down about halfway from your elbow to your hand and were done up with velcro so that you could close them tightly, the same around the neck too to help prevent shavings from getting inside your clothes and being irritating. They also had deep pockets on the outside around the back for keeping tools in, but naturally these would fill up with shavings.
Last edited by Trevanion on 27 Dec 2021, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Dec 2021, 19:14

Lurker wrote:......I found a lab coat that I wore when I was around 25. The damn thing has shrunk to an alarming extent...........

:lol: :lol: I see, so it shrank whilst packed away in the dry, untouched for years? Sounds plausible...... :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 27 Dec 2021, 19:46

I have a leather hide apron and it has no pockets. It doesnt get worn for working with cellulose foam but I wouldnt be wothout it when using the extreme hot glue gun or BBQing some prize steel steaks. A hoodie has always done me in the wood shop (with the strings removed)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike Jordan » 28 Dec 2021, 09:47

Dangerous things aprons, I’m reminded of the sight of my boss in the 1960s being dragged towards the infeed rollers of a huge Dankeart six cutter by his apron. He’d managed to get it between the timber and bottom roller, fortunately the neck strap parted and only the apron suffered. It didn’t seem to occur to him to operate the lever to stop the feed. The only pain involved was to members of the workforce trying to stifle laughter.
Last edited by Mike Jordan on 28 Dec 2021, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby PAC1 » 28 Dec 2021, 10:24

Mike G wrote:
Lurker wrote:......I found a lab coat that I wore when I was around 25. The damn thing has shrunk to an alarming extent...........

:lol: :lol: I see, so it shrank whilst packed away in the dry, untouched for years? Sounds plausible...... :lol:

It is very plausible to me. I had some overalls that I was given when I was about 20. They fit perfectly. By the time I was 45 they had shrunk. The strange thing was they only shrank in the width. The length would have still been perfect. I wonder if Lurkers lab coat suffered the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PAC1
Sapling

Postby novocaine » 28 Dec 2021, 10:34

PAC1 wrote:
Mike G wrote:

It is very plausible to me. I had some overalls that I was given when I was about 20. They fit perfectly. By the time I was 45 they had shrunk. The strange thing was they only shrank in the width. The length would have still been perfect. I wonder if Lurkers lab coat suffered the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any good seamstress will tell you its because of the cut off cloth. Everyone knows it shrinks more in 1 direction.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 28 Dec 2021, 11:13

novocaine wrote:
PAC1 wrote:It is very plausible to me. I had some overalls that I was given when I was about 20. They fit perfectly. By the time I was 45 they had shrunk. The strange thing was they only shrank in the width. The length would have still been perfect. I wonder if Lurkers lab coat suffered the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any good seamstress will tell you its because of the cut off cloth. Everyone knows it shrinks more in 1 direction.

Just like wood then so we should not be surprised.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Blackswanwood » 28 Dec 2021, 14:28

I was given an apron for Christmas as my wife had been making the observation (aka complaining) that when I nipped out for an hour in the workshop I always came back dusty.

It’s brilliant. I keep putting my hand up to the pencil pocket and finding it empty which means I know I’ve mislaid it far faster than I used to know it.

E7DCA3DA-7251-4764-8FCE-4CF81B0C8B68.jpeg
(211.49 KiB)
Last edited by Andyp on 28 Dec 2021, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod edit: image rotated
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby PAC1 » 28 Dec 2021, 16:01

Can you congratulate Mrs Blackswanwood on an excellent piece of research. It has flaps over the pockets :eusa-dance: It looks like they come from USA
Thank you
PAC1
Sapling

Next

Return to General Woodworking