It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:56

How much offcuts is reasonable

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

How much offcuts is reasonable

Postby PAC1 » 30 Dec 2021, 10:54

I currently have 2.5m3 of offcuts mostly oak and beech. That is under 18” (450mm) long. That also does not include stock timber or sheet materials. It also excludes wood designated turning blanks (even if turning is rare). I measured it because I intend to re organise it and wanted to see the size of the problem.
That is a lot of space that could be used to better purpose.
How much have you got?
You may be aware that from time to time I box it up and give it away. I might need to do so again soon.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Re: How much offcuts is reasonable

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Dec 2021, 11:05

I've got about the same I suppose. Most of it is offcuts from oak beams and thick planks, and is anything up to metre long. Small bits I chuck straight into those large plastic gardening bins with two handles and these get carted to the large log burner basket regularly. When the offcuts get out of hand they are cut down and go into the log pile. This is about to happen as the back of one of my outbuildings has a lot of short bits of oak in it too now I come to think of it.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 11:16

I guess I'd be in the 1 to 2 cu m range, but it's nicely under control and an important resource. The newel caps I have just turned came from post feet from works to my house 3 or 4 years ago, for instance. I have a further couple or 3 cubic metres of stuff put aside for kindling.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2021, 11:28

Offcuts ? mmmm..I know at least one pro who burns the lot at the end of a job and TBH I can see his point.

Rules of offcuts

1) If you have a bit the right length then it will neither be wide enough or thick enough
2) if you have a bit the right length and width then it will not be thick enough
3) if you have a bit the right length, width and thickness then that will be the only bit and you need two
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Peri » 30 Dec 2021, 11:52

Sounds like just the right size for more chopping and chess boards !
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby StevieB » 30 Dec 2021, 12:00

Depends how much you need the space for other things, how fast you work through the pile, how likely you are to get more in the near future and so on. There is no right answer to this one. I have recently thinned my off cuts considerably, largely due to SWMBO getting a chimenea last year. I tend to keep 'useful' bits for a long time, but have started to be more ruthless with common items such as PAR pine offcuts and anything under 12" in length. Definitions of useful will vary, but good quality solid timber of any species that could feasibly be used for another project or have components milled from it counts in my book, even if that is the kids bunk beds from 15 years ago or iroko skirting from an old workplace fished out of a skip 12 years ago :oops:
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Dec 2021, 12:26

RogerS wrote:Offcuts ? mmmm..I know at least one pro who burns the lot at the end of a job and TBH I can see his point.

Rules of offcuts

1) If you have a bit the right length then it will neither be wide enough or thick enough
2) if you have a bit the right length and width then it will not be thick enough
3) if you have a bit the right length, width and thickness then that will be the only bit and you need two

Sooner or later though, you'll come a across a job where Roger's Rules of Offcuts don't apply and you'll be really glad you kept it rather than bin/burn it.

The stuff, especially walnut and the like is simply too expensive to treat as an 'offcut' so I generally keep almost all of it, the exception being where pieces have knots, splits etc where it's very difficult to see how to use it. The really cronky bits can be used for spoon carving.

Smaller lumps I keep for the lathe and then have a 'turning day' when I spin up a few bits for the hospice shop in town or the hospital charity - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 30 Dec 2021, 12:29

I never throw out hardwood unless it's tiny and that means less than pen blank size and while I haven't measured volume I'd guess it's substantial. :oops: Softwood is a little different though my frugal habits are hard to break and replacement material costs at the minute aren't an incentive to changing the habit of a lifetime.
As Stevie says though it depends on space and priorities.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Stuart » 30 Dec 2021, 13:19

Considerably less than nearly all of you! Actual offcuts probably less than a couple of cubic feet. I use a lot of recycled timber so generally my offcuts really are rubbish and head straight to the log burner.

I do however, have a serious amount of ‘recycled’ bits and pieces in the shed that are destined for projects of one sort or another. Failing that the log burner will have plenty to choose from.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Dec 2021, 16:36

I should add that I also have a "collection" of at least 50 pallets, including some large hardwood ones, and 3 large hardwood machinery cases "round the back" (ie out of sight) in my building materials storage area. I really need to get shot of the pallets. :oops: Also two heavy duty hardwood cases that were empty until today and are now full of limestone slabs.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 30 Dec 2021, 16:44

Lons wrote:I never throw out hardwood unless it's tiny and that means less than pen blank size and while I haven't measured volume I'd guess it's substantial. :oops: Softwood is a little different though my frugal habits are hard to break and replacement material costs at the minute aren't an incentive to changing the habit of a lifetime.
As Stevie says though it depends on space and priorities.

:text-+1:

One incentive to get on with my bed building project is the quantity of useful ash offcuts it will produce!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Rezi » 30 Dec 2021, 16:54

I do a lot of small projects so, for me, I don't have any off cuts, just wood stock. A professional would look at my wood store and think all of it was off cuts or firewood.
I do have a few bits of white pine left from a Pergola I built last year (2020) but I'll soon be using them to make a drawer cabinet for my workshop.
I have noticed in youtube videos when they say they are making something from off cuts those off cuts may include an 8ft board of ABW!
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby PAC1 » 30 Dec 2021, 17:59

Lons, it is a matter of perspective. I would like to adopt the same approach but would have needed a few barns to keep the offcuts and would never actually use them. You should see what goes in the wood burner. So far since November my office wood burner has run on offcuts alone. I will probably start on logs soon.
I will box some offcuts up soon and offer them free. you are welcome to have a box or two.
As for pallets. A few years ago I received some wood and noticed that the packer for the forklift was a mighty fine piece of narly ash. I asked if I could keep it. I think the driver thought I was mad. I am currently turning it into pepper mills. If I manage to finish them without the CUF attending I will post some photos. It is very nice but I am not a good turner, so they may end up in the wood burner.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Craig Salisbury » 30 Dec 2021, 23:43

being a part time hobbyist, i keep a tiny amount of offcuts, most goes in the fire pit or pizza oven, other stuff like mdf or ply goes to the recycling centre, i just dont have room to store bit of wood i may never use. of course it might be different if i had a lot of room.
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby AJB Temple » 31 Dec 2021, 02:09

Just out of interest Peter, what mechanisms are you using for the pepper mills may I ask? I know Peugeot make most of the ones you see in retail places. I have a thing about pepper mills in that I regard most of them as pretty hopeless (slow, not enough capacity, grind size hard to adjust).
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 31 Dec 2021, 08:07

a little smaller than an offcut....but

for those wanting a bit more creativity from your sawdust, i give you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ri62uzLoss

*skills may be required
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby PAC1 » 31 Dec 2021, 08:32

AJB Temple wrote:Just out of interest Peter, what mechanisms are you using for the pepper mills may I ask? I know Peugeot make most of the ones you see in retail places. I have a thing about pepper mills in that I regard most of them as pretty hopeless (slow, not enough capacity, grind size hard to adjust).

I have bought a Crushgrind from Axminster. It says it is ceramic and has plenty of adjustment. I should finish it in the next day or two and then will pass it over to the quality control and assessment department aka Mrs C for approval. If it passes there are 3 more to make.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby Andyp » 31 Dec 2021, 08:36

PAC1 wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:Just out of interest Peter, what mechanisms are you using for the pepper mills may I ask? I know Peugeot make most of the ones you see in retail places. I have a thing about pepper mills in that I regard most of them as pretty hopeless (slow, not enough capacity, grind size hard to adjust).

I have bought a Crushgrind from Axminster. It says it is ceramic and has plenty of adjustment. I should finish it in the next day or two and then will pass it over to the quality control and assessment department aka Mrs C for approval. If it passes there are 3 more to make.

Something I have had on my tuit list for sometime. Please let us know how they get on in use.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 31 Dec 2021, 09:24

Thanks Peter. Will look into that, I was unaware that mechanisms can be bought separately.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 31 Dec 2021, 09:31

Craig Salisbury wrote:a little smaller than an offcut....but

*skills may be required

I wondered when someone was going to post that.

I'll just say, if you appreciate inventiveness and problem solving in a woodworking workshop, set aside 40 minutes and give yourself a treat.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Craig Salisbury » 31 Dec 2021, 10:05

AndyT wrote:
Craig Salisbury wrote:a little smaller than an offcut....but

*skills may be required

I wondered when someone was going to post that.

I'll just say, if you appreciate inventiveness and problem solving in a woodworking workshop, set aside 40 minutes and give yourself a treat.

Certainly looks like a decent project for a workshop that generates a lot of sawdust and has a woodburner, I imagine that costs a bit to put together but nowhere near a commercial product.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Dr.Al » 31 Dec 2021, 12:19

PAC1 wrote:

I've used crushgrind pepper mills for years now - on my second one as the first one detached itself from the wooden body after about 5 years of twice-daily use. They were bought as complete pepper grinders not as mechanisms (I don't have a wood lathe). I've used loads of other ones over the years but the crushgrind bottom-adjust ones are by far the best pepper grinders I've used (especially if you like coarse ground pepper).
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Lons » 31 Dec 2021, 13:52

PAC1 wrote:Lons, it is a matter of perspective. I would like to adopt the same approach but would have needed a few barns to keep the offcuts and would never actually use them. You should see what goes in the wood burner. So far since November my office wood burner has run on offcuts alone. I will probably start on logs soon.
I will box some offcuts up soon and offer them free. you are welcome to have a box or two.
As for pallets. A few years ago I received some wood and noticed that the packer for the forklift was a mighty fine piece of narly ash. I asked if I could keep it. I think the driver thought I was mad. I am currently turning it into pepper mills. If I manage to finish them without the CUF attending I will post some photos. It is very nice but I am not a good turner, so they may end up in the wood burner.

Many thanks for the offer which is much appreciated but I'll have to decline or face the threat of possible divorce. :lol:
We don't have a wood burner though I do give away sackfuls to friends who do and sawdust goes to a neighbour who has rabbits. Apart from offcuts gleaned when I had my little business, mostly oak from T&G floors and kitchen cabinet doors as well as loads of softwood I have a huge hoard of various hardwoods much of which would be impossible to buy now and some I've had for a very long time. I should really sort it out and sell as the vast majority will never be used before I pop me clogs. :eusa-doh:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Return to General Woodworking