It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:03

The importance of double checking.

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

The importance of double checking.

Postby Peri » 08 Jan 2022, 09:02

Needing a piece of steel for a jig I ordered this - Indexa GFS Gauge Plate 15x5x500​​​

The important bit of the spec was this
08-01-22 07-29-29.jpg
(8.59 KiB)

Stupidly, I assumed it would be perfect - it's gauge plate, after all.

So I cut it to length, drilled it, test fitted it, and it wasn't even close to fitting.

So finally now I decide to check it :eusa-doh:

20220107_090954.jpg
(106.66 KiB)
20220107_091020.jpg
(63.01 KiB)

And to top it off, it's bowed

20220107_090823.jpg
(113.21 KiB)

EDIT: And just in case anyone thinks it got damaged in transit, this is how it arrived :D :D
20220105_165742.jpg
(101.68 KiB)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: The importance of double checking.

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jan 2022, 11:21

Complain. They state GFS and it’s not flat.
You might at least get your money back in compensation for the extra work needed to make it usable.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 08 Jan 2022, 11:24

If it was a misprint in the ad and they meant + or - 0.2mm then isn't in spec ?

I also am guilty of not reading the ad properly. I stupidly left my £5 hot glue gun on over night and that knackered it. So I ordered another one at an economical price. It arrived. It's tiny. It's a 'mini' hot glue gun :( As per the ad.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Peri » 08 Jan 2022, 12:17

Haha I did that with some hold down clamps. Ridiculously low price (that should've been the flag), I was expecting clamps that were 6" or 8" long, the ones that arrived were maybe 2".

I didn't register the word 'mini' in the ad either.
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 08 Jan 2022, 12:20

I've heard of folk buying furniture online and ending up with dolls house sized pieces and no comeback as it was hidden in the description. :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 08 Jan 2022, 12:58

Thanks for the warning. I bought lots of GFS in the past and not had any issues for the purpose I was using it for. All my stuff was bought over the counter from an engineers supplies outlet though. I need some more soon but the size is not critical for what I’m doing. I will check the size out of interest thought.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 08 Jan 2022, 15:15

When my missus worked at the prison she had to wear expensive boots and preferred a specific make, I was on fleabay and came cross some perfect boots virually new size 3 in the description, perfect and at a fiver for £90 boots were a steal. Paid, posted and duly arrived in a couple of days, they were KIDS size 3. :lol:
The buyer offered to take them back as she hadn't put that in the description but we were in stitches with laughter and my missus took them in to work and hung them from her computer arm so everyone else could have a giggle.
I gave them away in the end to a suitably sized child.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Peri » 15 Jan 2022, 10:24

Quick update.

Had a refund, and a reply

Hi Steve,

Our warehouse team have said that our stock is correct according to measurements with a simple calliper and is not bent as shown on the customer pictures. It probably got bent in transit due to poor packaging.

file.jpg
(101.68 KiB)

Yeah...... thing is it's bowed along the thick edge, not the thin.

Just if anyone is interested, I got talking to a retired toolmaker at work, he said he'd seen that often. It comes from being surface ground incorrectly.
Instead of putting the bar on the magnetic table at an angle to the grinding wheel (so that the wheel only has intermittent contact), they've placed the bar at 90 degrees to the wheel, so when ground the wheel travels down it's whole length in one go.
Heat builds up in the bar, the centre of it expands, more material is ground away, and when the bar cools and shrinks you're left with a hollow.

Still, alls good now :)
Peri
Sapling

Postby Lurker » 15 Jan 2022, 11:41

Anyone got recommendations for GFS suppliers?
Lots on the bay but spendy.

When I was a working man, I either raided the engineering stores or bought from Cromwell with company discount (which was close to 50% IIRC) plus free delivery to works address.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 15 Jan 2022, 11:50

Lurker wrote:Anyone got recommendations for GFS suppliers?
Lots on the bay but spendy.

When I was a working man, I either raided the engineering stores or bought from Cromwell with company discount (which was close to 50% IIRC) plus free delivery to works address.

I bought some large pieces (150mm x 12mm x 500mm) from Coventry Grinders which I thought were a fair price. Ground Flat Stock also sell it, surprisingly :lol:

https://www.coventry-grinders.co.uk/

https://www.groundflatstock.com/
Last edited by Trevanion on 15 Jan 2022, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Jan 2022, 11:50

Sometimes - not always, I've found an ebay supplier and then gone direct to their website for a better deal.
For weighty stuff sometimes a visit in person to a local supplier works.

Totally agree about losing the ability to use employers facilities. Nearly 13 years since I retired, virtually all my contacts at my ex workplace have moved on. :( :(

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby wallace » 15 Jan 2022, 13:04

I wanted some brass flat bar for a machine and all the suppliers were crazy money. £300, Mr doubleboost kindly sourced it from the guy who does his cnc stuff and it was £120
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to General Woodworking