It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:22

Stuck lock

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Stuck lock

Postby PAC1 » 09 Jan 2022, 17:30

I have got an old fashioned mortice lock which has a roller rather than wedge shaped latch. It has jammed! In the lock plate of course. I have tried removing the handle and manually turning the Tommy bar. It is solid. I have also tried to get a thin strip of metal between the plate and latch to lever it back. No success.
So before I take a multi tool to cut off the latch is there anything else I can try?
I have ordered a replacement lock as whatever happens I am not risking getting stuck again.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Re: Stuck lock

Postby Mike G » 09 Jan 2022, 18:34

Get a new key cut. It is often the fault of a worn key, rather than any problem with the lock.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby John Brown » 09 Jan 2022, 18:43

Mike G wrote:Get a new key cut. It is often the fault of a worn key, rather than any problem with the lock.

Reluctant though I am to disagree with Mike, I can't help wondering how getting a new key cut would do anything other than duplicate the malfunctioning one.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 09 Jan 2022, 18:45

The deadlock is fine it is the roller latch that is fast
PAC1
Sapling

Postby John Brown » 09 Jan 2022, 18:48

Oops!
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Jan 2022, 18:54

Is it stuck in the out position, so that it won't pop back in when the door is closed? It might get a tap from a hammer or punch and hammer if it is not moving at all as the mechanisms are usually quite flimsy. Unless it is something expensive like a Banham, I would just swap it out I think.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 09 Jan 2022, 18:58

Adrian, yes it is stuck in the out position effectively locking the door. Not sure what happened. Five minutes earlier I opened it no problem. Closed it and now it is stuck. The Tommy bar does not turn at all.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby AJB Temple » 09 Jan 2022, 23:26

Hmmm. Tricky one then if there is minimal door gap. This may be stating the obvious and I know you are no fool, but is there any chance that the door may have dropped enough such that the roller is binding against the keeper in the frame such that friction has locked it in place. Have you tried a pry bar under the door or over the door to see if a mm or so of movement frees it?

If that does not work, is it feasible to knock the pins out of the hinges with a punch and take the door off from the hinge side?

With the deadbolt in, I doubt the roller is hardened steel, so you might be able to get in there with a thin cutting disk on an angle grinder?

Hope you find a non-destructive solution Peter.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 09 Jan 2022, 23:46

A mortice lock with a roller is a bit of an uncommon sight, is it a two-way opening door?

Sounds like something inside the lock has catastrophically failed and as you've already found, it's a bit of a bugger to get open again. At the very worst you'll end up cutting through the latch which with a multi-tool and a sharp metal blade it's not too hard, but I would first try the tommy bar again, but with an adjustable spanner or a pair of mole grips clamp onto the bar and give it (the spanner or mole grips) a few hard whacks with a hammer to see if that helps to free it up at all.

Adrian's suggestion may so be a good starting point, as a drooping door can cause binding.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2022, 00:55

John Brown wrote:
Mike G wrote:Get a new key cut. It is often the fault of a worn key, rather than any problem with the lock.

Reluctant though I am to disagree with Mike, I can't help wondering how getting a new key cut would do anything other than duplicate the malfunctioning one.

New keys have crisper corners, rather than rounded over ones. The followers are of a certain width, and so miss the worn corners. It does work. Not every time...but it's certainly worth a try before destroying the lock.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Jan 2022, 01:05

Mike - he said the deadlock bolt is fine. So the key is working to operate the lock but the roller is jammed. Surely the key would not operate the deadlock if the key or levers/tumblers had an issue?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby toolsntat » 10 Jan 2022, 01:59

You might want to try operating the spindle with varying degrees of pressure whilst giving the door a good thraping.
The theory being something might have been dislodged in the mechanism and stopping it operating.
Cheers Andy
Ps don't discount turning the spindle in the opposite direction, just in case...
toolsntat
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2022, 08:42

AJB Temple wrote:Mike - he said the deadlock bolt is fine. So the key is working to operate the lock but the roller is jammed. Surely the key would not operate the deadlock if the key or levers/tumblers had an issue?

Ah, right. I got the hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 10 Jan 2022, 10:49

Although the more common wedge shaped sort, our living room door latch broke leaving me stuck inside ! I got DW to pass a kitchen knife through the window and was able to work it open by jiggling in the crack between the frame and the door. Not possible from the outside I guess. The very poor grade cast metal internals had simply fallen apart.

Can you access the other side of the door by any remote chance ?
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby PAC1 » 10 Jan 2022, 14:47

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have cut the latch off with a multi tool, it will be the easiest solution. The replacement lock is on route. When I replace it I will try and find out what went wrong with the old one.
Thanks again.
PAC1
Sapling

Postby PAC1 » 12 Jan 2022, 17:56

The replacement lock arrived yesterday, so I swapped it this morning and it works a treat. I looked at the old lock and could not see anything wrong. Anyway all good now. Thank you for the suggestions.
PAC1
Sapling

Return to General Woodworking