It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:12

Design help

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Design help

Postby Stuart » 13 Jan 2022, 12:07

One of the (many) thing I'm crap at is design. I'll copy anything but a fresh, blank sheet of paper design and I'm stumped.

My next project is a box for an old mahjong set that will be incorporating an engraved lid from the original.
IMG_0960 copy.jpg
Old lid
(176.93 KiB)

This panel is 210 x 110 mm

My intention is to use some old rosewood moulding for the sides so it's going to be a shallow bow (approx 50mm high not including lid). Dimensions are dictated by the pieces and other game items so overall it'll be about 370 x 210mm.

This means the lid will need framing to suit. Preliminary work shows an additional 160mm on the length and 100mm on the width so it'd look something like this.
box lid.jpg
New lid
(77.27 KiB)

My concern is this looks out of proportion with 80 and 50 mm 'frame' but is that just me? My options are limited. I could make the box wider than 210mm but we're already struggling to find a home and if it gets much bigger it'll end up living in a cupboard!
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Re: Design help

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Jan 2022, 13:23

Tricky one this :D Personally I think the lid will indeed look out of proportion but you're between a 'rock and a hard place' because of the size limitations of the original panel. Were it me, I would think about a frame for the panel where each bit is no wider than say, 40mm.

That then will probably leave you with a further difficulty as the box won't then be physically big enough to hold all the bits. A solution (not the only one) might be to have a double layer of pieces? Dunno though, whether on not you could get away with that? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 13 Jan 2022, 13:38

Could you do something akin to a picture frame mount with some contrasting (lighter coloured) wood?

Something like this:

Untitled.png
(34.85 KiB)
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Robert » 13 Jan 2022, 13:48

I liked Tony's picture frame viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6996

Just wondering if you could set your panel in something like that then put the whole thing on (or set into) a frame the size you need. the picture frame could have wider top and bottom rails to make the surround equal. could be a contrasting wood.

edit I see Dr Al is on the same lines :)
Last edited by Robert on 13 Jan 2022, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Stuart » 13 Jan 2022, 14:58

First experience of a lost post! Let's try that again.

Woodbloke wrote:A solution (not the only one) might be to have a double layer of pieces? Dunno though, whether on not you could get away with that? - Rob

Already on 2 layers Rob. 3 gave me some very weird dimensions and meant I couldn't use the rosewood mouldings as I really wanted but I think a revisit required to see if I can tweak the dimensions enough.

Dr.Al wrote:Could you do something akin to a picture frame mount with some contrasting (lighter coloured) wood?

I came up with this
box lid 2.jpg
(73.71 KiB)

Because I'm using recycled rosewood I can't come up with a good contrast that is also tight grained and in any case, still not sure I like it enough. A lighter contrast didn't look right to me.

I'll keep thinking and revisit the 3 layer approach.

Thanks again.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jan 2022, 17:15

I've seen some japanese style tool boxes where the removable part of the lid was retained by a wedging action at the ends. This gives extra length to the box so in your case the panel frame could have a common width all round and yet fit you required dimension.

I think Malc made such a box before being overtaken by twangy instruments :lol:
I will try and find his thread.
Bob

EDIT: Malc's box is hidden in this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4369&p=65983&hilit=toolbox#p65983

Rezi made one too: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5389
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Stuart » 15 Jan 2022, 14:56

A complete rethink.

I was getting nowhere with the approach I was taking which was sticking far too closely to the 2 layer approach. The sizes being produced by all sorts of combinations were frankly stupid.

A 3 layer storage approach means I can go to a 300 x 200 mm lid (ish!) but I will have to increase the size of the moulding I plan on using for the sides.

This means a 45mm 'frame' for the panel
box lid 3.jpg
(72.54 KiB)

This is far more 'normal' and if I get the chance I'll reduce to 300 x 185 which is the golden ratio but if I can't don't think it'll be the end of the world.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking