It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:59

Oak Prices - How did I do?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Oak Prices - How did I do?

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jan 2022, 16:30

Collected some prime quality rough sawn SE KD Euro oak boards today.
It's a place I've used before but I can't say they know me or that I give them lots of business.
I did ask if they had a discount for pensioners and he said he knocked a bit off. :lol:

50mm boards were £2500 per m3 and 27mm £2200 per m3 plus vat of course.

Pre discount it was £390 all in and came down to £319 inc vat with discount. Trouble is there was nowhere to sit down!

However comparing to online vendors it looks like I did not do too badly - anyone care to offer recent experiences?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Oak Prices - How did I do?

Postby Mike G » 18 Jan 2022, 16:41

It's difficult to compare, because next week they'll be higher, and the week after higher again. The Chinese are buying up European oak by the train load (literally), and so the prices are just going up and up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jan 2022, 16:55

Mike G wrote:It's difficult to compare, because next week they'll be higher, and the week after higher again. The Chinese are buying up European oak by the train load (literally), and so the prices are just going up and up.

OH! I'd assumed that prices might be coming down on the basis of covid no longer being a valid excuse and trading with EU becoming better understood and operated. What are the chinese doing with all the oak? furniture to sell back to us?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MattS » 18 Jan 2022, 17:00

Price in everything seem to be going up so much, makes me wonder what the inflation rates are based on as prices have gone up so much!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 18 Jan 2022, 17:03

Shorter boards are cheaper than long ones. Narrow boards are cheaper than wide ones. One yard's premium grade is another yard's character grade. It really is very difficult to compare like-with-like when looking at oak prices.

And yes, the Chinese are selling oak furniture back to us, but also producing flooring by the acre. All I know is that they ruin everything they touch.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike Jordan » 18 Jan 2022, 19:35

Many supposedly British companies have all or part of their product made in China at very low cost. It’s not possible to buy the materials for a piece of furniture cheaper than buying the imported product. It’s generally poor quality, imported as flat pack and quickly assembled here. Rubbish, but recognised by the public as “Oak Furniture” Time to tax the importers out of business I say. Preferably before the remaining British makers disappear.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby PAC1 » 18 Jan 2022, 22:07

With oak it is definitely worth specifying less than 1.8m where that works as it can be much cheaper and more likely to get the benefit of the doubt on the waste calculation.
That said the last order I placed for specific sizes resulted in a through and through board circa 7m long upto 800mm wide and 105 thick being delivered
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby RogerS » 18 Jan 2022, 22:58

Mike G wrote:....
And yes, the Chinese are selling oak furniture back to us, but also producing flooring by the acre. All I know is that they ruin everything they touch.

:text-+1:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 Jan 2022, 20:02

PAC1 wrote:With oak it is definitely worth specifying less than 1.8m where that works as it can be much cheaper and more likely to get the benefit of the doubt on the waste calculation.
That said the last order I placed for specific sizes resulted in a through and through board circa 7m long upto 800mm wide and 105 thick being delivered

Wow. That is impressive. We had a lot of fallen trees converted after the great storm of 1987 and despite some trees being 250 - 300 years old we didn't get very many usable beams above 7m long, let alone straight planks 800mm wide and 105mm thick.

What did you use it for? I know you have a listed building so presumably there was a special purpose. Would love to see a photo. Boards like that are a real rarity I think.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 19 Jan 2022, 20:50

Mike G wrote:And yes, the Chinese are selling oak furniture back to us, but also producing flooring by the acre. All I know is that they ruin everything they touch.

Two things about this, Mike:

1. Somebody sent those flooring factories to China. And it wasn't the Chinese.
2. Somebody demanded low price over quality any way possible. And that wasn't the Chinese either.

This is not to say the Chinese aren't to blame for a lot--they have a very protectionist system, they cheat at every trade treaty they sign onto, they massively pollute the environment, and they horribly abuse their own people.

We (the US, the UK, and the EU) can do something about the first three of the latter items. But the first two is something we need to work on too.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 19 Jan 2022, 21:44

We didn't send factories to China, Kirk so much as have our factories undercut by Chinese imports, forcing their closure. And if you are offered a washing machine for £1000 and another ostensibly the same for £300, which one are you going to buy?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 19 Jan 2022, 21:59

Mike G wrote:We didn't send factories to China, Kirk so much as have our factories undercut by Chinese imports, forcing their closure. And if you are offered a washing machine for £1000 and another ostensibly the same for £300, which one are you going to buy?

In a lot of cases, the factories were dismantled here and the machinery sent to China. The wood still gets cut here, but not nearly as much flooring made. Maybe it's different there.

I bought a $2000 washing machine two years ago because I wanted one to outlast me. Made in USA, 10 year full warranty. Yes, I could have had a Chinese one for $600 or so, and perhaps the features would have been the same. But I decided to put my money where my mouth was and buy quality.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 19 Jan 2022, 22:09

kirkpoore1 wrote:
Mike G wrote:We didn't send factories to China, Kirk so much as have our factories undercut by Chinese imports, forcing their closure. And if you are offered a washing machine for £1000 and another ostensibly the same for £300, which one are you going to buy?

In a lot of cases, the factories were dismantled here and the machinery sent to China. The wood still gets cut here, but not nearly as much flooring made. Maybe it's different there.

I bought a $2000 washing machine two years ago because I wanted one to outlast me. Made in USA, 10 year full warranty. Yes, I could have had a Chinese one for $600 or so, and perhaps the features would have been the same. But I decided to put my money where my mouth was and buy quality.

Kirk

But over there you have the huge advantage of a MASSIVE internal market for home manufactured stuff.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 19 Jan 2022, 22:23

But Roger, until a few years ago you were part of a massive internal market too. And this issue started way before Brexit.

Most washing machines are not manufactured here anymore. There are some. Mine is a home version of a commercial (laundromat) machine, it just has a different panel so I don't have to put in a bunch of quarters when I wash a load. :) We have much the same problem that you do, just perhaps not _quite_ as pronounced.

BTW, getting back to the start of this thread, I think you got a good price, Bob. Way better than most retail here. I go to local sawmills, but that's the only way I'd beat the price.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 19 Jan 2022, 22:25

kirkpoore1 wrote:But Roger, until a few years ago you were part of a massive internal market too. And this issue started way before Brexit.

Kirk

It was still tiny compared to the US. Just look at the size of your workshops ! Got to fill all that space somehow ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug71 » 20 Jan 2022, 21:13

I had a couple of lengths of 40mm Prime Euro Oak delivered yesterday along with some other stuff.

Just got the invoice through, the Oak was £2.586.09 per m3 + vat so you did better than me :(
Doug71
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2022, 21:26

Doug71 wrote:I had a couple of lengths of 40mm Prime Euro Oak delivered yesterday along with some other stuff.

Just got the invoice through, the Oak was £2.586.09 per m3 + vat so you did better than me :(

Thanks Doug, useful to get a calibration with your at least it makes me feel that I possibly was not being stiffed for being joe public entering a trade outlet.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to General Woodworking