It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:07

Chinese ( marine) plywood

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Chinese ( marine) plywood

Postby Mike Jordan » 22 May 2022, 14:16

I notice that the adverts for this rubbish are increasing in number, the last two sheets I ( inadvertently) purchased turned themselves into “puff pastry “ very rapidly. I won’t be buying any but let’s hope it forces a reduction in the prices for decent European materials.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Re: Chinese ( marine) plywood

Postby PAC1 » 22 May 2022, 14:45

The problem is the time and effort needed avoiding this stuff and sourcing quality materials. Not helped by sales staff who do not know (or will not admit to knowing) better.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Woodbloke » 22 May 2022, 15:14

Mike Jordan wrote:I notice that the adverts for this rubbish are increasing in number, the last two sheets I ( inadvertently) purchased turned themselves into “puff pastry “ very rapidly. I won’t be buying any but let’s hope it forces a reduction in the prices for decent European materials.

The last marine ply I bought came from Jewson's but this was a very long time ago. Dunno whether or not they still sell decent quality stuff? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 22 May 2022, 15:40

Agree. Not been caught out myself as I have got quite a lot of stock of B grade baltic birch ply I use a lot, but friends have recently. The lure of on-line "deals" can be strong. It doesn't help at all that some good stuff used to come from places now prohibited due to Putin.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 22 May 2022, 19:53

During my boatbuilding days there was only one go to manufacturer...BRUYNZEEL. it's expensive but excellent.
I seriously doubt that any builders merchant would stock anything even close. It might qualify as WBP but no more.
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 24 May 2022, 07:41

Does anybody else refer to this as "boil in the bag ply"? Back when I was starting out, this was a 'code' to show you were a real builder when you went to the yard for timber.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Mike Jordan » 24 May 2022, 08:46

Not heard that term used for what I’ve always known as “WaterAnd Boilproof” but I suppose it gives the message!
Many years back I was told by a supplier that some sort of rule or regulation had been introduced which prohibited the importation of ply that wasn’t up to that standard. Clearly not the case now.
As mentioned earlier the true Marine Ply is of very high quality and price.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Return to General Woodworking