It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:35

Original Nitromors

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Original Nitromors

Postby Raymedullary » 25 May 2022, 11:20

I see that the original Nitromors is back on sale (in Aldi). I know it was removed from sale due to EU rules.
I'm guessing we can buy it again due to Brexit?
And to think that I voted remain....if only I had known!
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Original Nitromors

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 May 2022, 11:47

Haha, I bet it's about £400 a tin though!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Blackswanwood » 25 May 2022, 13:55

I think it's more likely to be a marketing ploy than the old recipe being back on the shelves.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Eric the Viking » 25 May 2022, 18:36

It *is* available (well stuff using methylene chloride is, if not the exact same formula), but only to professional furniture restorers. I can't see it being permitted on the DIY market again because of the risks of the manufacturer being sued (and anyway I don't think the regs have changed since the EU).

I've been mourning its passing myself recently, as I'm doing a horrible repair job on a shower cubicle, and being able to recycle some of the tiles I've taken off would be reassuring (I have sufficient unused ones for the repair, but not an excess). Original Nitromors was excellent in removing ready-mixed tile cement, but that's down to the methylene chloride I think. That said, it didn't do plastic drains any favours!

In the 1980s it was still made by Wilcot, across town from here in Staple Hill (Bristol). I used to buy trichlorethelene from them back in the day too, in 1 gallon containers. I'm not sure who bought them, but the plant is long gone now.

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 25 May 2022, 19:36

as a "furniture professional" I was able to source two cans of 5 litres of the proper stuff a couple of years ago when I was helping with a historical building project. It's amazing what you can still lay your hands on, including lead paint if you really want (at least in white and red).

Must check out what Aldi have, not that I need any. I must admit, I am a considerable convert to a very sharp scraper.

PS The Bahco ones are MUCH better than the clones of them. The Bahco blade has a slight curvature and the corners don't dig in, unlike the clones from Stanley and such.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 25 May 2022, 19:56

20220525_195257.jpg
(236.8 KiB)

Ye I don't think this is the old recipe after all
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 25 May 2022, 20:21

Last time I used the old stuff was back in the 70s and 80s and it really did Sting when it got on your hands – probably good job it was restricted lol
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 25 May 2022, 20:50

The chap who organised mine is a furniture restorer / finisher. He's an old man now and has contacts all over the place. Does lots of historical restoration.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 26 May 2022, 05:51

Eric the Viking wrote:It *is* available (well stuff using methylene chloride is, if not the exact same formula), but only to professional furniture restorers. I can't see it being permitted on the DIY market again because of the risks of the manufacturer being sued (and anyway I don't think the regs have changed since the EU).

I've been mourning its passing myself recently, as I'm doing a horrible repair job on a shower cubicle, and being able to recycle some of the tiles I've taken off would be reassuring (I have sufficient unused ones for the repair, but not an excess). Original Nitromors was excellent in removing ready-mixed tile cement, but that's down to the methylene chloride I think. That said, it didn't do plastic drains any favours!

In the 1980s it was still made by Wilcot, across town from here in Staple Hill (Bristol). I used to buy trichlorethelene from them back in the day too, in 1 gallon containers. I'm not sure who bought them, but the plant is long gone now.

E.

I frequently have to reuse tiles and stone slabs here as replacements are no longer available. I use a disc cutter with a 4" flap disc for metal cleaning and can remove ALL cement and adhesive, right back to the diamond pattern on tiles and smooth stone on the slabs.
Its dusty work though, very, very dusty :eusa-whistle: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking