It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:45

Getting to the 'Cross-roads' - no speed limits!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Getting to the 'Cross-roads' - no speed limits!

Postby Loghead » 29 Jul 2022, 12:42

Hi folks.

I have finally realised it is time to pull in my horns, and grasp the nettle! Sorry for the mixed grammar!

It's time to dust off my hand tools; although it's been apparent for some years! At 83, I can no longer wrestle 12 x 2 planks across a planer, or through a bandsaw. i will still buy my timber in such 'chunks', but I am going to make sure my handsaws and planes are kept in A1 fettle. (I shall retain my Elu 9inch portable circular saw mind! )

In the next few weeks I shall be disposing of some hefty, professional machinery, (watch this space) to return to reducing planks to comfortable sizes, before working by hand. Also I'll have much more space available, something not to be sneezed at!

For the purists, I can't promise to dispose of my routers, Dominos and other Festoolery, as I can still manage those. For a while though they will remain on the shelf, while I resharpen my handwork skills.

I don't know if this is a cause for celebration, but I am looking forward to the challenge. With a touch of heart failure to cope with, and the need to sit down to cut joints, it is definitely
going to be a challenge, but it's clear I shall have to 'slow down' and take it on.

I recently discovered a YouTube channel called 52m. A Polish hand-worker who turns out some delightful stuff; maybe his channel has been instrumental in my transition. I don't know the gent's name, and i don't understand Polish. However he speaks 'Woodwork' and that's what matters.

To close, I shall miss my Sedgwick 12" planer/thicknesser, but I can welcome the 'exercise' I am going to get from hand planing. So if you feel so inclined, wish me luck?

Cheers John
Those who understand Compound Interest, make money from those who don't. (Accredited to Einstein)
Loghead
New Shoots

Name: Jon-Alex

Re: Getting to the 'Cross-roads' - no speed limits!

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Jul 2022, 12:53

Whatever it takes to keep you woodworking and enjoying it John. Power to your elbow, both figuratively and literally! :D

:text-bravo: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Blackswanwood » 29 Jul 2022, 14:39

That's a really refreshing and positive approach John. :eusa-clap:
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby johnward » 29 Jul 2022, 14:55

Good luck John with your new direction. I too am a hand tool plus bandsaw-and-planer kind of woodworker. I'm sure you will find it rewarding.
All the best.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 29 Jul 2022, 16:03

johnward wrote:Good luck John with your new direction. I too am a hand tool plus bandsaw-and-planer kind of woodworker. I'm sure you will find it rewarding.
All the best.

John

Thanks John, only 67 but thinking along similar lines with my new setup in the States. All power to your elbow!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby PAC1 » 29 Jul 2022, 16:15

I hope that when I get to 83 I can make the same decision. At the tender age of 59 the thought of working solely by hand fills me with dread. I like hand work but I have too much needing making to move out of the fast lane.
More power to your elbow.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby AndyT » 29 Jul 2022, 17:00

Jon, I'm a few years younger than you, but I can't help noticing how important it is for physical and mental health to keep as much mobility as you can for as long as you can.

I think you are making an excellent decision and choosing a great way to include something physical into your daily routine. I enjoy moving stuff around, planing, sawing, chiselling but I would be bored immediately if I needed to go to a gym and pick up heavy things just to put them back in the same places. Woodworking lets you do as much or as little as you want, at your own pace.

More power to your elbow! (and knees, hips, back...) :)
Last edited by AndyT on 29 Jul 2022, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 29 Jul 2022, 17:11

Good luck John......as long as you're sure ! I really miss my Sedgwick and my hands aren't too happy with handtools. And I'm ten years younger than you to boot.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby clogs » 29 Jul 2022, 19:11

put a table top on it for ur mugs of T....
IT MAY COME IN HANDY.....NEVER ENOUGH TABLE TOP SPACE IN A WORKSHOP....
good luck for the future....
I'm 73 and forcing myself to carry on.....
some days I just wanna sit but do paperwork n drawings instead....
not quite as hard now but still 7/7....
gotta keep busy....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 29 Jul 2022, 19:20

Good for you. I am a quarter of a century off that age and already feel knackered from endless building and garden projects at home. It has killed my motivation. So I want to get a few things finished, and then emulate you by cutting back radically to manageable projects and far fewer tools. This means I won't need to rebuild my workshop but can reconfigure it purely for pleasure with no pressure.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Loghead » 30 Jul 2022, 11:34

Hi folks,

To paraphrase 'Oddball' of 'Kelly's Heroes' 'Keep hitting me with them positive waves.'
Thanks folks. Indeed, this codger is not giving up. As soon as possible I will be trying to record WIPs, if only to show how rusty I probably am!

(That was a good suggestion; put a cover over the planer to provide a surface to work on.) To get more space I could sell the MFT and it's accoutrements, 'cos I hardly use it anyhow; except as a repository for 'stuff'...

Cheers John :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Those who understand Compound Interest, make money from those who don't. (Accredited to Einstein)
Loghead
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 30 Jul 2022, 13:19

Loghead wrote:Hi folks,

To paraphrase 'Oddball' of 'Kelly's Heroes' 'Keep hitting me with them positive waves.'
Thanks folks. Indeed, this codger is not giving up. As soon as possible I will be trying to record WIPs, if only to show how rusty I probably am!

(That was a good suggestion; put a cover over the planer to provide a surface to work on.) To get more space I could sell the MFT and it's accoutrements, 'cos I hardly use it anyhow; except as a repository for 'stuff'...

Cheers John :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Excellent to hear that woodwork continues to feature as a hobby John.

Best wishes
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 30 Jul 2022, 14:26

Good for you Jon,
Someone around these parts once said “what I make is for others, how I make it is for me.”

Dont set yourself timescales and everything will be finished on time. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Loghead » 01 Aug 2022, 22:05

Thanks Bob, Andy.

Just getting to grips with making my shop a place in which to work comfortably again. Finally splashed out on some beech worktops, (Worktop Express) to replace the ones made from some MDF, covered in a tough, green plastic material. Life of me I can't recall where I sourced those... :mrgreen: Still, they have served me well Bob... :mrgreen:
Thought you might like to know. :D

Cheers John
Loghead
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 01 Aug 2022, 22:10

Loghead wrote:Thanks Bob, Andy.

Just getting to grips with making my shop a place in which to work comfortably again. Finally splashed out on some beech worktops, (Worktop Express) to replace the ones made from some MDF, covered in a tough, green plastic material. Life of me I can't recall where I sourced those... :mrgreen: Still, they have served me well Bob... :mrgreen:
Thought you might like to know. :D

Cheers John

Very good to know they have been good for you. I think it might have been around 2006 that you and your good lady drove down to Romsey to collect them but I could be wrong
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Trevanion » 01 Aug 2022, 22:45

Good to hear you're still nose to the grindstone, John/Benchwayze!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Loghead » 03 Aug 2022, 16:00

Bob

My word, is it really so long ago? If I could remember which Volvo I had at the time it would help me place the year more easily. :mrgreen:

The tops have been useful to me. My shop is a mere 17 feet by 8 feet and the remaining worktop is at the blind end of the shop, and covered in 'stuff'. So I am doing away with it; hoping to replace with a rolling bench for my Coronet Major lathe. Thanks to the swivelling head, I can still use the rip-saw attachment! (10" and a quality TCT blade, and the motor just whispers; not bad for a 1971 model! The biggest problem is I have to find blades with a 5/8 inch bore; everything seems to be 30mm these days. :D

Regards to you and yours

John
Loghead
New Shoots

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Aug 2022, 18:07

Hi Jon, they sell them here in the States and I’m coming back end of Sept easily put one in my case, if you’re interested pls PM me size etc. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Loghead » 03 Aug 2022, 18:27

Many thanks Ian.

That is a thoughtful offer. At the moment I have my original rip blade (HSS) and a TCT RIP blade. Cross cut too. What I couĺd use is a Combo rip/crosscut. However, it isn't imperative so don't worry if it proves difficult.
Regards

John
Loghead
New Shoots

Return to General Woodworking