It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:55

Door on Edwardian brick porch

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Door on Edwardian brick porch

Postby Windows » 06 Aug 2022, 06:32

Thanks Trevanion. Really appreciate the detail. You’re absolutely right that the doors around here set a high bar. It’s going to take a certain amount of froufiness and skill to get it to look in keeping with the vibe of the neighbourhood. My feeling was to reproduce the existing door as closely as possible if it’s relationship to the opening still makes sense. The current door is 3ft 1in wide and 6ft 11 1/2 inches tall. I think I’m going to have to mock up some images on the computer to see how that would relate to the frame. Going a bit wider on the door like you suggest might make sense to avoid the frame looking too thick.
Windows
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Windows » 06 Aug 2022, 14:09

Oh forgot to add re: insulation that the porch is only exposed to the elements at the front. There’s a bathroom above it and rooms to either side. The porch is slightly wider than the opening, but only 2.5 brick lengths. That small amount of brickwork for the arch and its support is two bricks deep.
Windows
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby the bear » 06 Aug 2022, 14:27

There’s some lovely doors in your mums road. From a purely aesthetic point of view I wouldn’t add another door I think it looks great as is. And I prefer an open porch (mines an oak frame) as somewhere to stand out of the rain (remember that?) fumbling for keys, taking wet gear and muddy boots off and leaving them there

But I understand your drive and look forward to seeing you make it if you do go ahead.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Windows » 07 Aug 2022, 21:25

Thanks Mark. Still giving it a lot of consideration. If we do put a door on it, we’re hoping that we’d be able to leave shoes there overnight without foxes stealing them.
Windows
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking