It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:03

Scott & Sargeant

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Scott & Sargeant

Postby Steve Maskery » 05 Aug 2022, 09:59

Has anyone had any dealings with ScoSarg? How did you find them? I've been trying to buy spares for nearly 3 weeks and am getting more and more frustrated with them.
Unfortunately suppliers of CMT stuff are thin on the ground since Axi ditched them.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Scott & Sargeant

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Aug 2022, 10:28

I bought my iTech TS from S&S and agree their customer service was abysmal. Quite happy to take your money, then have you wait weeks longer than they said.

Although they sell items I've been interested in, I've tried to avoid them.

I'm not sure if they still do, but last time I used this business, they were selling CMT stuff.

https://eps-services.co.uk/

Also, Yandles have sold CMt, not sure if they still do.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Peri » 05 Aug 2022, 10:42

Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Aug 2022, 10:48

Steve Maskery wrote:Unfortunately suppliers of CMT stuff are thin on the ground since Axi ditched them.

Therin lies a tale :eusa-whistle: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 05 Aug 2022, 11:27

I once attempted to buy a machine from S&S via a company I had. They spent some time fondling my money but the machine did not materialise. After some "discussion" with my solicitor business partner I was refunded as our delivery contract was quite clear. That was my sole experience, it was a few years ago, and I would not now touch them even with your barge pole. For all I know, customer service may be brilliant for everyone else.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 05 Aug 2022, 11:36

Thanks guys.
I'd seen some of those sites, Peri, but not the ukonline one.

I have the CMT rebate set,1/2" shank, 1/2" depth of cut. I've chipped it by being careless. I'd like to replace it with the 19mm deep version. I think they are otherwise identical. I don't need the bearing or flanges, just the cutter.

The set also has two screws, different lengths depending on which bearing is installed. I'd like to replace those, too, they are starting to round over.

I would not have thought that that was too difficult to undestand.

The guy is giving me part numbers that don't exist when I search for them, no links at all, I have to copy & paste and search. Entries on their site have Technical Specifications listed as N/A. Some of the items use the same picture for more than one product, so the tech spec is quite important.

The site says, "Having trouble with your order? Give us a call on xxxxx", and when you do, you get told,quite curtly, to email them. You can't discuss anything.

And now he has started to use exclamation marks at me! I definitely don't like being Exclamation Marked!!
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 05 Aug 2022, 13:29

Time to walk away Steve!

Pete

p.s. !
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Peri » 05 Aug 2022, 16:17

Not sure if this helps in any shape or form, and you've probably been there, but https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en/in ... outer-bits

is the CMT main site, it may at least give you part numbers you need.
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby RogerS » 05 Aug 2022, 17:20

I bought my Record bandsaw from them last year without any problem.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 05 Aug 2022, 17:29

Pete - :)
Peri - Ta

I've just had a call-back from Jeremy at Westcountry Machinery4Wood. What a totally different attitude!

Knowledgeable! Polite! Patient! Professional! Thoroughly helpful!!!
Guess who is getting my business.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 05 Aug 2022, 17:46

Cornwall, you see. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Trevanion » 05 Aug 2022, 21:03

Their site can be a bit of a pain to navigate, especially when buying the CMT stuff it helps to have the CMT catalogue PDF to look through and enter the product codes from there into the site as the listings on the site can be vague at best, as you've found out. I've always had decent dealings with S&S but nothing has ever really gone pear-shaped to test them, though the last time I did order CMT blades from them there was a month lead time due to import difficulties. I have heard from other people that they won't deal with them anymore though as they've apparently gone a bit hoity-toity about who they deal with, really only wanting to supply and service larger companies, they are definitely one of if not the most expensive service engineers in the country, though not rated very highly.

I know Appleby Woodturnings also sell CMT blades, but not sure about router bits.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 05 Aug 2022, 21:30

Yep, a friend had a nightmare with them when he bought 2 new machines, he’s definitely not in a rush to use them again
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking