It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:52

Dust extraction - dos and don'ts video (brief review)

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Dust extraction - dos and don'ts video (brief review)

Postby Eric the Viking » 12 Dec 2020, 10:36

Not a video from me, but James Hamilton, alias "Stumpy Nubs" on YouTube.

Ordinarily he winds me up a bit, as there have been several instances recently of duff gen being passed on as common sense, however this particular video (just published) seems to have a lot of genuine common sense in it, especially making the comaprison between the high-vacuum (pressure) and low volume of generically 'Henry' types of extractor, versus the high volume + low pressure of the smaller 4" hose big-fan machines, and strategies to get the best use from both types.

I was a little disappointed as he chose some stills from Next Level Carpentry to illustrate his "how not to" section. That was unfair and disingenuous. Matt Jackson (NLC) did a series of videos explaining his choice of setup, how he took advice, and how it's all connected to a serious (and seriously expensive) dust extractor which is more powerful (and sophisticated) than the arrangements Hamilton was describing. Matt was also well aware of the issues caused by the hoses he uses, but they are appropriate for the working method he has and evidently work well.

Anyway, given all the hot air that gets expended on this in, er, 'another place', I thought this video might be helpful to have available. Hamilton's recommendations are sound, and if followed should give satisfactory results in many circumstances.

https://youtu.be/qjI5l4nF9AM

PS: I would also recommend Steve Maskery's approach to bandsaw DX. He has built on ideas from Olly PJ brilliantly (and Steve's version is both neater and almost certainly more efficient, and typically very simple to do). If, like me, you look at the sawdust stuck to the tyres and wince inwardly, there is a better way...

https://youtu.be/sAEr8oZfJYA

... meanwhile, I is mostly off to finish the work on my own bandsaw that got put on hold earlier in the year...

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Re: Dust extraction - dos and don'ts video (brief review)

Postby Craig Salisbury » 12 Dec 2020, 10:51

I have been chasing the dust extraction dragon for the latter half of this year, and ended up with 3 extractors for specific purposes....and they are:

Festool midi vac for all the small power tools
Numatic 750 something for small router table, mitre saw and table saw (all have 63mm outlets kind of)
charnwood 791cf for PT, bandsaw and general floor clearing

I have no ducting as my single garage just isnt big enough.

Next thing i want to do is find room for a couple of cyclones, but alas I have a small space :(
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2020, 12:05

csalisbury wrote:I have been chasing the dust extraction dragon for the latter half of this year, and ended up with 3 extractors for specific purposes....and they are:

Festool midi vac for all the small power tools
Numatic 750 something for small router table, mitre saw and table saw (all have 63mm outlets kind of)
charnwood 791cf for PT, bandsaw and general floor clearing

I have no ducting as my single garage just isnt big enough.

Next thing i want to do is find room for a couple of cyclones, but alas I have a small space :(

Spot on! :eusa-clap: That IMO is the best way for dust and chip extraction. Horses for courses. I've tried cyclones and TBH never really saw any benefit.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Dec 2020, 13:38

Eric the Viking wrote: If, like me, you look at the sawdust stuck to the tyres and wince inwardly, there is a better way...

https://youtu.be/sAEr8oZfJYA

... meanwhile, I is mostly off to finish the work on my own bandsaw that got put on hold earlier in the year...

E.

I have a full cyclonic system which is hooked up to the bandsaw and whilst it removes a goodly part of the dust, it doesn't take it all (or the vast majority) away. What is particularly irksome is the build up of 'icky' sawdust on the tyres especially after even a couple of cuts with a slightly resinous timber. I saw up a lot of pine 'ordinaires' for backing veneers and the build-up on the tyres is a complete pita. The shop 'vac for power tool extraction is a twin motor NVD 750 which is 'adequate' :eusa-whistle: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Dec 2020, 14:40

Have you got brushes fitted to help clean the tyres Rob? If not I would suggest you fit some.
Brass bristle suede brushes with wooden handles from the 'bay.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 12 Dec 2020, 15:44

RogerS wrote: I've tried cyclones and TBH never really saw any benefit.

The benefit, IME, is 200 litres of dust and clippings ends up in the dropbox box under the cyclone with nothing going into the vac itself, a twin motor CamVac.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Dec 2020, 15:58

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote: I've tried cyclones and TBH never really saw any benefit.

The benefit, IME, is 200 litres of dust and clippings ends up in the dropbox box under the cyclone with nothing going into the vac itself, a twin motor CamVac.

:text-+1: Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 12 Dec 2020, 16:12

9fingers wrote:Have you got brushes fitted to help clean the tyres Rob? If not I would suggest you fit some.
Brass bristle suede brushes with wooden handles from the 'bay.

Bob

Bob just beat me to it, my startright has an adjustable wooden block with brass bristles fitted as standard, I never have any trouble with sawdust on the wheels, Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Return to Tips & Tutorials