It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:40

Drawknife Making Project

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Drawknife Making Project

Postby Mike G » 25 Dec 2020, 17:50

Very nice Tony. I've just had rather extensive use from my draw knife, roughing out some oak poles for hanging curtains. There is no tool like it for hacking off loads one minute, then just taking a whisker here and there the next.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 01 Dec 2021, 00:05

I was doing an unusual job at the weekend. Making a bat roost. No, not for a real bat, but for a copper one from Michael Kusz at the excellent Graculus sculptures.

Anyway, to get a branch of ash to that stripped, driftwood look I picked up RXH's drawknife. I've used it before, of course, but It occurred to me that I haven't reported back yet

I will admit I've made two slight adjustments. One is to reduce the bevel angle a little, the other, to bend the handles down slightly (viewed witb the bevel up) so that the angle of the handles bisects he bevel angle - this way the drawknife is held at the same angle when used bevel up (for light planing cuts) or bevel down. This was one of the adjustments Mike Abbot had Ray Iles make to his drawknife design. Tweaking a tool to suit your tastes was - should be - quite normal.

Anyway - it is very good in use. The heat treatment must have gone well, it takes - and keeps - a very fine edge. Really a pleasure to use. Thanks again Richard if you are still reading !

I must try to finish my scorp ...
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Raymedullary » 01 Dec 2021, 10:47

I made my drawknife from a leaf spring off of a scrapped Ford transit mini bus with lati handles when I was teaching in West Africa. Ill try to post a pic later.
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby rxh » 05 Dec 2021, 22:01

Sheffield Tony wrote:I was doing an unusual job at the weekend. Making a bat roost. No, not for a real bat, but for a copper one from Michael Kusz at the excellent Graculus sculptures.

Anyway, to get a branch of ash to that stripped, driftwood look I picked up RXH's drawknife. I've used it before, of course, but It occurred to me that I haven't reported back yet

I will admit I've made two slight adjustments. One is to reduce the bevel angle a little, the other, to bend the handles down slightly (viewed witb the bevel up) so that the angle of the handles bisects he bevel angle - this way the drawknife is held at the same angle when used bevel up (for light planing cuts) or bevel down. This was one of the adjustments Mike Abbot had Ray Iles make to his drawknife design. Tweaking a tool to suit your tastes was - should be - quite normal.

Anyway - it is very good in use. The heat treatment must have gone well, it takes - and keeps - a very fine edge. Really a pleasure to use. Thanks again Richard if you are still reading !

I must try to finish my scorp ...

Tony, I'm glad you find it good to use. How did you bend the handles down? I may do the same to my one.
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 05 Dec 2021, 23:00

As it happens, I was using it quite a lot today at a green woodworkers gathering.

To adjust the handles, not knowing what the temper would be like away from the cutting edge, I confess I tapped off the handles. Then I heated it at the bend to a blue colour so I knew I could bend it without breaking anything. To be sure not to affect the temper of the cutting edge, I clamped a big G clamp between the bit I heated and the cutting edge as a heatsink. Then just a matter of slipping a tube over the tangs and tweaking them down by 10-15 degrees. I popped the handles back with a smear of epoxy for good measure.

The size is pretty ideal for most purposes. Today I was working willow, from which you can take really thick cuts. Quite a few knots which presented no problem. Testing the edge with a thumbnail after a day of use, no sign of chipping and still nicely sharp.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby rxh » 05 Dec 2021, 23:26

Sheffield Tony wrote:As it happens, I was using it quite a lot today at a green woodworkers gathering.

To adjust the handles, not knowing what the temper would be like away from the cutting edge, I confess I tapped off the handles. Then I heated it at the bend to a blue colour so I knew I could bend it without breaking anything. To be sure not to affect the temper of the cutting edge, I clamped a big G clamp between the bit I heated and the cutting edge as a heatsink. Then just a matter of slipping a tube over the tangs and tweaking them down by 10-15 degrees. I popped the handles back with a smear of epoxy for good measure.

The size is pretty ideal for most purposes. Today I was working willow, from which you can take really thick cuts. Quite a few knots which presented no problem. Testing the edge with a thumbnail after a day of use, no sign of chipping and still nicely sharp.

Thanks Tony - that seems a good way to do it.
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery