It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:20

Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

Postby thetyreman » 02 Apr 2021, 10:41

originally I was going to get the rosewood ones but they were never in stock, WS heaven also make a satin wood version of the london pattern ones that looks nice, still happy with my richter set, they are amazing.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Apr 2021, 15:40

thetyreman wrote:originally I was going to get the rosewood ones but they were never in stock, WS heaven also make a satin wood version of the london pattern ones that looks nice, still happy with my richter set, they are amazing.

The 'London' pattern ones do look pretty, but I fancy the 'Richter's' are the better chisel. I'm still working my way through the 'cheesy' first mm of the blade, where the steel tends to be a little soft (in common with all Narex chisels) I'be been going through end grain Douglas Fir to cut dovetails and they didn't like that particular timber one little bit. As they were new, the edge was folding fairly rapidly and they needed pretty constant re-honing and stropping - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 13 Apr 2021, 19:13

I know I keep posting about these. I'm not looking for any (honest!) but I stumbled across them on Peter Sefton's Shop. He has some in stock if anyone is still looking/waiting?
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/collections/narex
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Apr 2021, 20:41

Chris101 wrote:I know I keep posting about these. I'm not looking for any (honest!) but I stumbled across them on Peter Sefton's Shop. He has some in stock if anyone is still looking/waiting?
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/collections/narex

:text-bravo: Thanks for that; Peter must have had a recent delivery so I've ordered the 1.5" and 1/8" to complete the set. None in at CHT and WH; even better is that Peter's delivery is free over £40! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 08 Jan 2022, 13:59

So a year has passed since I first got the chisels so I thought I'd do an update on what I think of them now.

In short, they're still excellent, and even with the fair amount of use they've had I've barely had to sharpen them at all as compared to other chisels I own. The tops of the handles have flattened off a fair amount compared to what they were when new, to help keep the tops supple and prevent any cracking I've recently doused them in some boiled linseed oil which I hope will help, but the nice thing with the ash handles is that I don't feel too precious about them compared to say rosewood or satinwood as it's a common domestic hardwood and I have more than enough offcuts laying about to make the set of handles twice over if it's ever needed. Some will despair, but I've had a couple of occasions where the chisels have gained small rust blemishes in the damp weather but nothing too serious that wasn't sorted out with a quick scrape with a stanley knife and some oil, it all adds character to the tools.

A set from Workshop Heaven is now £142 instead of the £136 I paid a year ago, so not much of a price increase all things considered and still well worth the investment in my opinion.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 08 Jan 2022, 15:05

I bought an unused set from Roger last year and and very pleased with them as well Trev.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Jan 2022, 18:27

Lons wrote:I bought an unused set from Roger last year and and very pleased with them as well Trev.

Same here; now that I have the full set of nine, I've been really impressed with them. They take a really good edge, stay sharp for a long time and require next to no initial back flattening. I'm amazed that I used Japanese chisels for so long; the edge from a Narex 'Richter' is easily as good and they're infinitely more comfortable to use - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Bearwoodcraft » 09 Jan 2022, 22:29

I noticed these in your box I have to say when I looked at them I thought spot on I did look at the old onse but these well there another level now and the price can’t be beat if I wasn’t gifted the the vintage onse I’d have gone for these defiantly
Bearwoodcraft
New Shoots

Name: Tom Brill

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery