It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:54

Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

Postby Trevanion » 07 Jan 2021, 02:02

"Trevanion? Talking about hand tools? Has the world gone mad?!

I know, I know... As much as I have a disdain for using manpower instead of horsepower you really can't go without having to use chisels once in a while. I had been eyeing up these Narex Richter chisels for a while as they looked rather nice and had everything going for them on paper, I'm not usually one for extravagant spending without real reason but I had a little helpful push from someone to buy something nice for myself from Workshop Heaven for Christmas so I went for it and bought them. Before you even say it MikeG, I know that I've already have enough chisels! :lol:

Since there seemingly is very little that's been written about these I thought I'd give my fair opinion out of the box.

I bought the five chisel set, which comes in a nice little Birch (I think) box. £136.50 from Workshop Heaven.

I've never seen fittings like these on a box before, they seemed to be hammered into the timber rather than a conventional screwed hinge and catch. I can't see them lasting very long if you're using the box the transport them about daily, but then boxes that usually come with chisels never last particularly long anyway. You could always drill and put small fasteners through the hardware if you want it to last.

Opening the box you're greeted with this...

Sublime. I cannot begin to describe how nice these chisels feel in the hand, the wood finish is silky smooth and the ground surfaces of the steel are near-perfect and feel completely smooth. Everything just flows wonderfully, you can run your finger from the hammering end all the way to the cutting end and it just feels almost all one piece, with no nasty sharp edges or discernable hard steps. I have no idea what they've finished the Ash with, it doesn't seem like a varnish but it is very smooth and quite glossy but according to Narex they are "hand polished". One point to mention is that the handles aren't graduated in size so it's the same sized handle for the 1/4" and the 1" chisels, I know that does bother some people. I'm not 100% sure the reason for the washer, but it was very common on older chisels as shown in catalogues, just seems strange to have a shock dampener to lessen the impact translated to the workpiece through the chisel by the mallet.

My only very minor complaint at this point is that during their trip from the Czech Republic they've obviously jostled around in the box and the wooden divider on the ferrules has dented into the Ash near the ferrules as pictured below. This really is only a minor issue as they're only going to get beaten up with me anyway. There was a rectangular piece of foam in the box to help prevent them from banging around in the box which isn't pictured here.

The Ash handles is actually one of the main things that drew me to these chisels, other companies that produce chisels always seem to be using rare and endangered hardwoods of questionable ethical origin for handles, and to be honest whilst I have used a fair amount of rare, exotic and very endangered species in the past I don't want to continue supporting the wanton destruction of our fragile eco-systems for something as vain and disposable as a chisel handle. Why use Bubinga or Rosewood when domestically grown and sourced Ash or Beech will work just as well?

The stainless steel ferrules are a nice, modern touch and seem to be of good quality. I've had (rather expensive) chisels with very brittle brass ferrules (not all brass is brittle) which cracked with humidity changes, I don't see that happening here.

The steel is VERY nicely ground (as a bit of a metal geek, I can confirm this), it's practically a mirror polish. There are very fine grinding marks visibly present but you cannot feel them whatsoever with a fingernail, in this picture you can make out the clock above my window in the back of the chisel.

Here's the blurb from WSH's website about the steel itself:

"Made from a new type of steel alloyed with chromium for hardenability and vanadium for grain reduction and enhanced toughness, the steel is heat treated using a cryogenic process to maximise the formation of the desirable martensite crystalline microstructure in the finished steel. In laymans terms, it's proven technology mastered to the extent that it can compete with the latest powder metallurgy steels for performance, but at a much keener price point. "

"Chrome Vanadium? You mean the stuff they make Spanners out of?" :lol:

I'm not very clued up on high carbon steel structures and fancy treatments so I'll take him at his word about that. Although I do somewhat disagree with this statement from his listing:

"The fine grinding is so good it's almost a mirror finish - on all surfaces, there is no undesirable rounding off of the underside of the edges."

There is ever so slight rounding of the edges down the length of the chisel on the back, it's not enough to be a serious nuisance in my opinion, but it is there. I hope you can see what I mean from this picture:

For the back of the chisel itself, rubbing it shortly on a stone provided a very pleasant result, they are indeed very flat on the back, or at least a lot flatter than chisels I've tried in the past including some rather expensive ones. You can see the clouding in the picture where the stone has abraded after a few seconds, realistically as the blurb from the site says you could leave the backs alone if you so wished.

They weren't particularly sharp out of the box (they really do not need to be) but they all sharpened up very nicely in short order. I've never personally noticed any difference between certain steels being harder to sharpen than others but these seemed just about the same as any other I've tried, supposedly these are hardened to 62HRc minimum which is a fair bit harder than most conventional chisels which are usually about 58HRc.

Another thing that attracted me to these was the very fine and consistent beveled edges on them, compared to an Ashley Iles Mk2 and a Stanley 5002 these come to a much finer point and stay that fine along their whole length. Ashley Iles on the left, Stanley in the middle and Narex on the right:

In all these have lived up to the expectations I had out of the box, now they just need to start earning their place and get a bit of work done! I'll report back when I've done enough with them that I can comment.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

Postby Mike G » 07 Jan 2021, 08:49

Excellent write up. Good luck with the tools. I share your view on exotic timber for tool handles.

As an aside, I bought a starter carving kit by Narex (also from WH), and they were complete and utter crap. One of them even bent. So Narex obviously produce chisels and gouges across the entire spectrum from top end right down to christmas-cracker-fodder.
Last edited by Mike G on 07 Jan 2021, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jan 2021, 09:59

Good right-up T. The 'slight' rounding on the backs has been done deliberately to stop your hands being sliced to bits when you pare dovetails etc. On my dovetailing chisels I've also passed a small diamond stone down the length to take off the edge - rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 07 Jan 2021, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 Jan 2021, 10:12

they do look rather nice, the only gripe I have is that they'd be 30 quid cheaper without the fancy box. :D

obviously I'm jealous of such lovely tools.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Trevanion » 07 Jan 2021, 10:43

Mike G wrote:As an aside, I bought a starter carving kit by Narex (also from WH), and they were complete and utter crap. One of them even bent. So Narex obviously produce chisels and gouges across the entire spectrum from top end right down to christmas-crtacker-fodder.

Fortunately, I've inherited enough carving chisels (at least fifty) that I reckon that I won't ever need to buy a new one, all kinds of different shapes, sizes and brands such as Marples, Addis, Pfiel, Henry Taylor and so on... I don't do much carving but I do plan on adding more carved features in some work in the future, partially inspired by your own efforts :)

novocaine wrote:they do look rather nice, the only gripe I have is that they'd be 30 quid cheaper without the fancy box. :D

obviously I'm jealous of such lovely tools.

Funnily, If you buy them all separately it works out £6 more expensive, and you don't get the fancy box! :lol:

Woodbloke wrote:Good right up T. The 'slight' rounding on the backs has been done deliberately to stop your hands being sliced to bits when you pare dovetails etc. On my dovetailing chisels I've also passed a small diamond stone down the length to take off the edge - rob

Ah, I've had fish gills before! I used to use a set of Marples Split-proof chisels as my daily users and the corners on those were very sharp, since I swapped over to the Stanley 5002s I never had that problem because the corners were slightly rounded.

As a side note, James Wright of Wood By Wright fame did a very exhaustive and detailed test of most of the chisels available (He didn't test the extraordinarily expensive £100 each IBC or Blue Spruce chisels for example) on the market today and the Richter came out on top of everything else, of course, he could've had one particularly good chisel.

Last edited by Trevanion on 08 Jan 2022, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Jan 2021, 10:54

Trevanion wrote:.......I do plan on adding more carved features in some work in the future, partially inspired by your own efforts.......

Thanks. Look out for something later which should inspire you, and others, to give it a go. You might be surprised.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 07 Jan 2021, 12:28

Nice review, I'll add it to the sticky list of hand tool reviews...Oops, no, scrub that. ;)

If I was in the market for any new chisels I think I would buy those on the strength of your review.

It's pleasing to see that they are proper bevel edged chisels, not just firmer chisels with the corners knocked off. (Someone gave me a current production Irwin Marples which falls into that "why did they bother?" category but I am sure there are plenty more.)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 07 Jan 2021, 13:13

I’ve seen the brand several times at the Yandles show and always thought they looked very nice. Good prices at the show as well.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby billw » 07 Jan 2021, 14:23

Narex certainly seem to have a sweet spot of price and quality. I love mine, to the point where I'm planning to use them as my go-to chisels when I expand my current set.
billw
New Shoots

Name: Bill

Postby Trevanion » 07 Jan 2021, 17:51

AndyT wrote:Nice review, I'll add it to the sticky list of hand tool reviews...Oops, no, scrub that. ;)

Careful now, in some circles the mere mention of a scrub devolves into a long-winded battle of the titans.

AndyT wrote:It's pleasing to see that they are proper bevel edged chisels, not just firmer chisels with the corners knocked off. (Someone gave me a current production Irwin Marples which falls into that "why did they bother?" category but I am sure there are plenty more.)

I've actually got a set of Kirschen chisels which are as you say, just a set of firmers with the corners knocked off. Fine for general second-fix carpentry work where you don't need to be too fussy such as chopping in hinges and locks on doors, but they're definitely not suited to finer woodworking.
Last edited by Trevanion on 07 Jan 2021, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 Jan 2021, 17:52

Narex have really raised their game by the look of it. I looked at them a few years ago and at that time they had horrible, thick lumpy handles. These look superb, especially for the money.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 07 Jan 2021, 18:30

Are Narex chisels with that style of ash handle exclusive to Workshop Heaven? I wouldn't be surprised if they were something that Matthew had specified for Narex to supply. It's the sort of detail that a good tool dealer can add to the mix and I know Matthew is well known for listening to his customers.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Chris101 » 07 Jan 2021, 19:59

AndyT wrote:Are Narex chisels with that style of ash handle exclusive to Workshop Heaven? I wouldn't be surprised if they were something that Matthew had specified for Narex to supply. It's the sort of detail that a good tool dealer can add to the mix and I know Matthew is well known for listening to his customers.

I always got the impression he was driving the Quanshen QC details for the planes. I might be mistaken on this but I suspect you are spot on Andy.
Nice review T.
I've bought all the tools I need (*manic laughter) including 3 of the Iles chisels that you compare too ( I know you are not a huge fan btw), and really tbh, all are well above my pay grade anyway, but I was surprised to see the narex edges/lands being more accurate. No reflection Narex, just on my my expectations.
I also like the ash handles. I have a couple of framing chisels by A Iles and they have ash handles with steel rings. Made for beating. Shame they don't use ash on all their chisels tbh.
Is box renewable?!? :D
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Jan 2021, 20:05

Chris101 wrote:......Is box renewable?!? :D

Yes, but slowly. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 07 Jan 2021, 20:17

no the Richter range is available with ash handle as standard. They are a tribute to the founder of the company and are their signature range of tools
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AndyT » 07 Jan 2021, 20:43

droogs wrote:no the Richter range is available with ash handle as standard. They are a tribute to the founder of the company and are their signature range of tools

:text-thankyouyellow:
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 07 Jan 2021, 20:44

AndyT wrote:Are Narex chisels with that style of ash handle exclusive to Workshop Heaven? I wouldn't be surprised if they were something that Matthew had specified for Narex to supply. It's the sort of detail that a good tool dealer can add to the mix and I know Matthew is well known for listening to his customers.

I don't believe they are, A few other sellers such as Classic Handtools and Woodworker's Workshop also have them but Workshop Heaven is the only one who's actually got any stock beyond one or two chisels at the moment.

Chris101 wrote:I always got the impression he was driving the Quanshen QC details for the planes. I might be mistaken on this but I suspect you are spot on Andy.

Someone else will know better but I did think Quangsheng is exclusive to Workshop Heaven and Ray Iles' Old Tool Shop and the QC is indeed dictated by them. From what I remember Rutlands sell Qiangsheng planes which are from the same manufacturer as Quangsheng but made to a lower standard, I think they also make planes for Wood River in the US/Canada but I may be wrong on that one.

Chris101 wrote:I've bought all the tools I need (*manic laughter) including 3 of the Iles chisels that you compare too ( I know you are not a huge fan btw)

Don't get me started! :lol: They're not a bad chisel and I can appreciate that they're handcrafted in Britain using the old Sheffield ways but for the same price point these Richter Chisels seem pretty much better in every respect.

If you've already bought all the tools you need who am I supposed to sell all my useless jun- I mean precious tools to when I have the grand clear-out this year?
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 07 Jan 2021, 21:14

Well I'm not MikeG. I'll take a look at least! :eusa-doh:
To be fair I bought those chisels, and I don't regret getting them really, when I was first 'setting up' and buying some tools I thought I would need. Would I buy them now, probably not, would I sell them on, no. ;)
(If anyone's after a Record 5 I have one burning a hole in the proverbial mind. Mike? :D )
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 Jan 2021, 21:33

Are they as good as aldi chisels?
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jan 2021, 21:49

Years ago Matthew spent some time out at the Narex production place in China and I believe he did have some custom changes made to the ones he offers. Better grinding, narrower lands, better handles ) the originals had those horrible hexagonal grips) so it’s very possible these are specific to WH.

He’s a very amenable chap, message him and ask... ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Chris101 » 07 Jan 2021, 21:58

WH was the first time I ever bought something (anything) and was stunned by the level of customer service. It 's a bit like what it must be like if you go shopping as a super yacht owner just on a smaller scale. I hope he and his staff continue to grow their business for years to come even if I can't justify shopping there too often. Also. Star-M bits. Thankyou Mathew for those. ;)

On a different tack, a link to some Luban butt chisels for a bullseye.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luban-4-Piec ... 2749.l2649

Just out of interest.
If I can link to an old thread on ukw I will, but only after agreement that I'm not being rude/breaking any rules/ upsetting anyone etc. ;)

There's not even anyone arguing on it. :eusa-shifty:
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 Jan 2021, 22:08

Chris101 wrote:

There's not even anyone arguing on it. :eusa-shifty:

Give me a mo, i can sort that easy enough. :D
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Chris101 » 07 Jan 2021, 22:15

Stop it.
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 07 Jan 2021, 22:19

Chris101 wrote:Stop it.

Yer ok. :cry: walks away mumbling like a scolded teenager.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 07 Jan 2021, 22:20

TrimTheKing wrote:.....He’s a very amenable chap.... ;)

I'll second that. Lovely guy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Hand Toolery