It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:17

Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Narex Richter Chisels: Initial Impressions

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Feb 2021, 14:16

Trevanion wrote:So one month on, what do I think?

They're great.

Oh, you want more detail? Alright then.

Thus far, I have been really impressed with the Richters! I haven't been babying them much at all and they've had a couple of fair wallopings with a mallet (or even a claw hammer lightly on occasion when the mallet was too far) now and stood up very well. One thing I will note is that I feel that the tops of the handles are maybe a little too round initially, as I had a couple of deflections of the mallet when I first started using them as the top is almost a perfect dome rather than a gentle round-over, but this is really a non-issue as the tops began to flatten out a bit as it was being used.

I haven't even felt the need to sharpen them yet after a whole month. I've been using them quite a fair amount and the edge still feels good, not the same as the initial sharpen I did on them, granted, but good enough for my work and they just seem to keep going and going. I'm mostly doing fairly light chopping and paring working in Accoya (Radiata Pine) which is fairly easy on the tools anyway, but the latewood can be very hard on hand tools in particular.

We'll see how they keep going.

I intend to get hold of a set of those bad boys as and when WH get their next shipment delivered. As soon as I've run them in, my Jap chisels will be up for grabs - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Feb 2021, 19:03

They're back in stock again at WH and I've just received a set. Initial impressions are very, very good indeed! Less that 5mins to hone an edge and polish the back; they take an edge easily as good as my Japanese chisels, also from WH - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Feb 2021, 19:15

:o I couldn't resist. Flashed the cash. I've got some of the smaller Narex chisels and I rather like them. Let's hope these new ones last better than my others as I do have a tendency to use them for unorthodox purposes. :oops: Well, only the really duff ones.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 17 Feb 2021, 19:32

Woodbloke wrote:They're back in stock again at WH and I've just received a set. Initial impressions are very, very good indeed! Less that 5mins to hone an edge and polish the back; they take an edge easily as good as my Japanese chisels, also from WH - Rob

That's good praise as you actually know your stuff Rob, I'm just a bodge-job man by comparison :lol:

RogerS wrote::o I couldn't resist. Flashed the cash. I've got some of the smaller Narex chisels and I rather like them. Let's hope these new ones last better than my others as I do have a tendency to use them for unorthodox purposes. :oops: Well, only the really duff ones.

I've actually come to the conclusion that while these seem expensive initially they are actually ridiculously cheap for the quality of them.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 21 Feb 2021, 15:58

Interestingly, this popped up in my feed...

Spolier: "These are hands down the best chisels I've ever used"
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Feb 2021, 16:55

Interesting; just about to use my new set for a bit of drawer shovetailing :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 23 Feb 2021, 13:46

Not sure if this is of interest.

I have had uncle Geoffs chisels and then also my dads for some 30 years ( marples with boxwood handle) so have never needed to buy chisels.
Dad drummed it into me to treat them nicely, and to have a couple of manky ones for hacking jobs,thus avoiding temptation.

I must have bought this from some pound shop like place, I imagine that I paid pennies.
It’s a damn fine tool bearing in mind that it’s function was to misuse it.

I guess I bought it in the 70s
Note the made in Czechoslovakia

Edit: just incase the marking cannot be read it is a narex from the time, I assume, they sold them at cost for the western currency.
Attachments
D833173F-7AAC-47C1-9FFC-8089FD4E7512.jpeg
(405.67 KiB)
0AB0D4EA-6A24-4155-BE0E-0AF0A66BC4BE.jpeg
(432.65 KiB)
Last edited by Lurker on 23 Feb 2021, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Feb 2021, 19:28

My first chisel was a 1/2" Stanley with a black handle. It was the only one I had for years.

Still got it. Not bad steel.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby jimmy s » 23 Feb 2021, 22:34

Lurker wrote:Not sure if this is of interest.

I have had uncle Geoffs chisels and then also my dads for some 30 years ( marples with boxwood handle) so have never needed to buy chisels.
Dad drummed it into me to treat them nicely, and to have a couple of manky ones for hacking jobs,thus avoiding temptation.

I must have bought this from some pound shop like place, I imagine that I paid pennies.
It’s a damn fine tool bearing in mind that it’s function was to misuse it.

I guess I bought it in the 70s
Note the made in Czechoslovakia

I've got a couple like that as well Lurker They get used for some jobs that may or may not involve wood - I'm saying no more :eusa-whistle: . They seem to be the main chisels I'm using at the moment unfortunately, mainly as I'm stripping out one of the rooms in the house back to the stone walls and taking out the floor and ceiling etc, so not much fine woodwork going on.

I had a look at the new Narex ones but have managed to restrain from purchasing - I have enough chisels already - I just need to get time to use them.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Mar 2021, 18:23

Having used one of mine (for the first time) this afternoon to chop through some end grain Douglas Fir, the edge started to crumble after a few hefty wallops. I was a bit confused.com and reverted to a bit of research on the 'pooter; it appears that this is a very common occurrence with new Narex chisels. After a few honings, the softer metal at the edge disappears and you then get into the 'good stuff' - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 05 Mar 2021, 18:52

Woodbloke wrote:Having used one of mine (for the first time) this afternoon to chop through some end grain Douglas Fir, the edge started to crumble after a few hefty wallops. I was a bit confused.com and reverted to a bit of research on the 'pooter; it appears that this is a very common occurrence with new Narex chisels. After a few honings, the softer metal at the edge disappears and you then get into the 'good stuff' - Rob

Strange, I haven't had that issue personally but I did put a pretty generous 30-degree bevel on the front, to begin with.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Mar 2021, 19:04

Trevanion wrote:Strange, I haven't had that issue personally but I did put a pretty generous 30-degree bevel on the front, to begin with.

As did I but it still crumbled, though with repeated use of the strop it was easy to remove the crumbled edge and restore it's sharpness. As the afternoon wore on, the crumbliness seemed to reduce so I reckon that with one or three more honings it'll be gone entirely - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 05 Mar 2021, 20:01

It is well known that the Narex chisels due to the hardening process they use are a little iffy for the first few mm from new but once past that point they are superb at retaining an edge and a joy to use.

This has happened with all my Narex edge tools, but hey who doesn't put their own edge on a new tool
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby RogerS » 05 Mar 2021, 22:47

droogs wrote:... but hey who doesn't put their own edge on a new tool

Um...me ? :oops:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Mar 2021, 23:57

droogs wrote:It is well known that the Narex chisels due to the hardening process they use are a little iffy for the first few mm from new but once past that point they are superb at retaining an edge and a joy to use.

That's useful to know, thanks. Thus far, having used the Richter's a couple of times, I've been pretty impressed with them - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby thetyreman » 06 Mar 2021, 20:23

I might very well get this set at some point! they seem to be universally liked, damn it...must.stop.buying.tools :lol:
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Trevanion » 06 Mar 2021, 20:25

thetyreman wrote:I might very well get this set at some point! they seem to be universally liked, damn it...must.stop.buying.tools :lol:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Mar 2021, 23:41

thetyreman wrote:I might very well get this set at some point! they seem to be universally liked, damn it...must.stop.buying.tools :lol:

You'll have to move very smartly if you want a set of these bad boys. Matt at WH had them in very briefly again for a few days and now they're gorn!
SWIMBO checks every morning to see if the last remaining sizes (1.5'' and the 1/8th") are in stock. Stoney ground thus far :( - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby thetyreman » 10 Mar 2021, 12:32

Woodbloke wrote:

You'll have to move very smartly if you want a set of these bad boys. Matt at WH had them in very briefly again for a few days and now they're gorn!
SWIMBO checks every morning to see if the last remaining sizes (1.5'' and the 1/8th") are in stock. Stoney ground thus far :( - Rob

the 5 piece set are back in stock, just ordered them ;)
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Mar 2021, 12:43

thetyreman wrote:
the 5 piece set are back in stock, just ordered them ;)

I saw that the other day. You won't be disappointed with them; easily one of best chisels I've come across and I've used a few :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby thetyreman » 13 Mar 2021, 16:02

I just made some first cuts with them today and you're not wrong guys! incredible steel, very happy with them indeed. :D
thetyreman
Sapling

Postby Chris101 » 31 Mar 2021, 18:34

Ooooohhh. New site chisels from Workshop Heaven are out. :D (At least I've just seen them).
I have to say, I know I don't need them but they are awful purrty. Only post here because the narex steel. :lol:

https://www.workshopheaven.com/rosewood ... -of-6.html
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 31 Mar 2021, 21:29

Chris101 wrote:Ooooohhh. New site chisels from Workshop Heaven are out. :D (At least I've just seen them).
I have to say, I know I don't need them but they are awful purrty. Only post here because the narex steel. :lol:

I've seen these before. They do look nice but I think the Rosewood lets them down as pretty as it is. He doesn't mention whether the Rosewood is from old stock that had been here for years or is illegally imported new stock, a very grey area.

Handles made from Ash, Beech or even Box would look great and wouldn't have all the ethical issues that go with endangered exotic timbers.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 31 Mar 2021, 21:37

I'd prefer to see ash on the handles too Dan. I fear I'm not the market for these chisels though. :|
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Mar 2021, 22:30

Chris101 wrote:Ooooohhh. New site chisels from Workshop Heaven are out. :D (At least I've just seen them).

https://www.workshopheaven.com/rosewood ... -of-6.html

The blades appear (from Matt's blurb) to be slightly modified Narex steel and they're not cryo treated as are the Richters. I think you pay the extra wonga for the Victorian 'London' pattern style handles and tbh, they're dead easy to turn. I've made them in English Walnut, Ebony and Pink Ivory which I've fitted to assorted odd chisels and gouges - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Hand Toolery