It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:52

Fancy handplanes

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Fancy handplanes

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 13:51

With all this talk of handplanes lately it reminded me about when Waka bought some S&S planes a good few years back so I had to go and have a look if S&S were still going http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/

That also got me to thinking about where Waka went and why he dropped off UKW, do you know Rob (Woodbloke)? I know you were mates with him, I don't remember clearly but he seemed to just drift away from UKW, is he okay?

I remember his tool cabinet which got a lot of derision among the celebration, due to it being deemed 'too fancy' for a workshop. I don't subscribe to that, woodwork is whatever you want it to be and while I completely appreciate the views of those who say "it's a workshop 'thing' and I'd rather spend time making things than making things for the workshop", I'd also argue the other side that if someone wants to make an heirloom grade cabinet in their workshop t house their planes, or build a workbench that is better quality than most home furnishings then bloody well go for it!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Fancy handplanes

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 14:13

disgusting and I'd consider to be of little use or merit, why would you bother going to all that trouble for a hand plane, it's a tool not an ornament, definitely form of function.

there, that's got all that crap out the way, no one else needs to moan about it and I can say what I really thinking.

yummy, not a fan of the dyed wood but still yummy.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 14:17

They're stunning things that's for sure. I don't care that they're expensive, I'm never going to buy one, but there are people who can, will and do, so more power to his elbow.

I remember Waka saying they took ridiculously good shavings which is what a plane should do. Will it be 100 times better at its job than a £40 plane, of course not, but if you've got the cash then do what you want with it.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Trevanion » 04 Mar 2021, 14:21

Karl Holtey just came back out of retirement and is another worth looking at, both have excellent Instagram accounts.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2021, 14:22

See the crinkly shavings stuck in the throat? That means that particular plane isn't working properly. No matter how attractive it looks (infill planes really don't do it for me), unless it actually works then it's not a lot of use to woodworkers. If it works, then fine......I'm all for skilled people earning good money for their efforts.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 14:22

I didn't realise Karl had even retired! :shock:

Yep I love his stuff, again way out of my price range but I love looking at them.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 14:24

Mike G wrote:See the crinkly shavings stuck in the throat? That means that particular plane isn't working properly. No matter how attractive it looks (infill planes really don't do it for me), unless it actually works then it's not a lot of use to woodworkers. If it works, then fine......I'm all for skilled people earning good money for their efforts.

Oh totally agree with that Mike, expensive and not fit for purpose is worse than cheap and useless. Which plane are you talking about though, the one a few pics down? Surely that will happen when a plane is working properly as shavings don't all get magically ejected out of the top of the plane...?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 14:27

TrimTheKing wrote:They're stunning things that's for sure. I don't care that they're expensive, I'm never going to buy one, but there are people who can, will and do, so more power to his elbow.

I remember Waka saying they took ridiculously good shavings which is what a plane should do. Will it be 100 times better at its job than a £40 plane, of course not, but if you've got the cash then do what you want with it.

in completely agreement Mark. if you have worked hard and now have the money, crack on. something like this isn't about it being the very best at what it does (which it very well might be), it's about having something that is a pleasure to use and makes you smile everytime you use it.
Mike, I reckon that crinkle shaving is during testing of the mouth as the next set of pictures is showing him adjusting the throat and leading edge of the wedge, which should eject the shaving to the side.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2021, 14:29

TrimTheKing wrote:......Which plane are you talking about though, the one a few pics down?......

The only image on that page with shavings, that I could see, which has them jammed tightly into the throat. Crinkly shavings mean they are breaking and folding, rather than flowing out.....and they should be flowing out of the side. With a plane worth about the same as a private jet, one would be loathe to take a file to it to sort out the problem!!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 14:31

having said that, I can find no pictures of the plane in use showing the ramped wedge which would push the shaving out.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2021, 14:34

How do you hit that wedge with a hammer to seat it?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 14:37

Mike G wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:......Which plane are you talking about though, the one a few pics down?......

The only image on that page with shavings, that I could see, which has them jammed tightly into the throat. Crinkly shavings mean they are breaking and folding, rather than flowing out.....and they should be flowing out of the side. With a plane worth about the same as a private jet, one would be loathe to take a file to it to sort out the problem!!

I thought you meant this one...

Yeah he does say he's testing it in theat pic but yes I agree with you.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 14:37

Mike G wrote:How do you hit that wedge with a hammer to seat it?

carefully with a custom made purple headed.............. never mind.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 14:38

Maybe he makes a specially shaped hammer to with it it, as an add on... :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 14:40

TrimTheKing wrote:

Maybe he makes a specially shaped hammer to with it it, as an add on... :lol:

ah, the apple approach to marketing. create a problem, sell a solution.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2021, 15:06

novocaine wrote:....ah, the Rob Cosman approach to marketing. create a problem, sell a solution.

Fixed that for you. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 15:57

Mike G wrote:
novocaine wrote:....ah, the Rob Cosman approach to marketing. create a problem, sell a solution.

Fixed that for you. :lol:

you mean I don't need a dedicated plane adjustment driver?
what about an angle training block? (no idea how you train an angle but it takes a block)
or how about a "worlds best spritz bottle"? surely that is a must have at 20 dollars and in no way is it a repurposed dettol spray bottle.
ok, ok, I get it, we don't need those things, I'll stop. I need to anyway, I've just noticed the grip tape for vice handles and I need to get my order in quick before he sells out.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Mar 2021, 16:17

TrimTheKing wrote:With all this talk of handplanes lately it reminded me about when Waka bought some S&S planes a good few years back so I had to go and have a look if S&S were still going http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/

That also got me to thinking about where Waka went and why he dropped off UKW, do you know Rob (Woodbloke)? I know you were mates with him, I don't remember clearly but he seemed to just drift away from UKW, is he okay?

I remember his tool cabinet which got a lot of derision among the celebration, due to it being deemed 'too fancy' for a workshop. I don't subscribe to that, woodwork is whatever you want it to be and while I completely appreciate the views of those who say "it's a workshop 'thing' and I'd rather spend time making things than making things for the workshop", I'd also argue the other side that if someone wants to make an heirloom grade cabinet in their workshop t house their planes, or build a workbench that is better quality than most home furnishings then bloody well go for it!

Dunno what ever happened to Waka but he was (and hopefully still is) a good lad. Philly of this parish (one of the Three Musketeers of early UKW) would probably have more up to date info...I'll PM the boy Philly and find out what the current state of play happens to be.

I went to a couple of Waka's 'bashes' (remember them?) in Weymouth to see the aforementioned Tool Cabinet (very nice too, lots of Birds Eye Maple) and also cast the Mk1 eyeball over a set of three S&S planes he had just purchased...and again, very nice they looked too. Emphasis on the 'looked' 'cos they didn't work very well!

On the very expensive smoother, the front infill bun had warped :shock: so that got kicked into the long grass!

I tested the middle sized panel plane, again, hugely expensive against Waka's LV BU jack plane, a measly £200 or so at the time. I honed both the blades on his system (forget what :eusa-think: ) and set up both planes to take shavings in something loafing around on Waka's bench (again, dunno what it was)

The result was identical. There was no difference 'twixt a vastly expensive, hand made jobbie and a bog standard offering straight out of the Veritas factory in Canada.

From that incident, my view is and has remained, that if you want to spend a shed load of wonga on fancy planes (Holtey's included and I've used a couple of those as well) they don't work any better than a well set up LN, Cliffie or Veritas.

If you choose to spend your hard earned on an heirloom investment for your grandchildren (as Waka did) more power to your elbow, but as user's, you're better off IMO spending the dosh on wood.

Edit: I used an S&S panel plane at one of the show's to plane up a nice, even, smooth bit of maple...nothing gnarly in it! As expected, it took a nice, even shaving...but as I pointed out to the bloke on the stand who made it, you could do exactly the same thing with a well set up, nice sharp Record No.5 He weren't impressed :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Mar 2021, 17:02

Expensive hand planes, expensive cars, expensive watches, expensive food, whatever floats your boat and makes you feel good is ok with me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Philly » 04 Mar 2021, 17:08

I spoke with Waka a few weeks ago on the phone, he's going strong and in good spirits.
My own thoughts on high end planes......for the majority of work a sharp iron makes the most difference regardless of which plane you have. But on extremely gnarly stuff that is almost unplanable, this is where infills like Konrads come into their own - the extremely tight mouth and sheer density of all that metal really shines through.
Fair play to Konrad (S+S) - he has continued to refine and evolve the look of his planes and they have moved on from the Norris repros he started with.
Cheers
Philly
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Mar 2021, 19:03

Philly wrote: But on extremely gnarly stuff that is almost unplanable, this is where infills like Konrads come into their own - the extremely tight mouth and sheer density of all that metal really shines through.
Cheers
Philly

I'm not even sure about that Philly. Does anyone remember the notorious 'Wood from Hell' that did the rounds on a certain forum :eusa-whistle: a few years ago? It's virtually unplanable and I've tried dozens of times. Matt Platt at Workshop Heaven accepted the challenge and I sent him a bit, shown in the pic, but it was twice as thick!

IMG_5451.jpg
(115.78 KiB)

He used a Clifie 4.5 with a York frog (I think) and a steep back bevel on the blade to eventually tame it, but it took him about 8mm of the thickness to do it.

I also took a lump down to a Yandles Show one year and gave it to the LN rep (Denib) doing the demonstrations. On the bench in front of him he had all the LN planes but chose a BU plane with a super high effective pitch to plane it. He mentioned that it wasn't quite the most difficult wood he'd ever been given, but it was 'up there' with the best of them, best in this case being appalling - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Mar 2021, 19:14

I'm not clear why anyone would expect a very expensive hand made plane to work any better than a well manufactured item like say a Veritas. Surly it's mainly about the sharpness (and stay sharp ability) of the iron, coupled with a correctly dimensioned mouth?

The hand made planes do look beautiful though. Stunning workmanship and aesthetics.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 04 Mar 2021, 19:39

I personally have no issues with people buying expensive tools if they want to, provided they know exactly what they're looking at and it's what they actually want. I don't think I'd ever buy a Holtey, S+S, Lazurus, Sparks, or another boutique plane maker's stuff but I can really appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail that goes into them, some people may use them but I imagine a high proportion are sold to collectors who keep them in display cases.

When I posted elsewhere we quite often had inexperienced people who seemed to think they needed to buy the absolute most expensive tool to do the job they wanted, and would get very aggressively defensive if someone suggested that a cheaper alternative may be a better choice, god help you if you suggested that they didn't actually need the tool to do the job :lol:

One that stands out was the "I spent £4000 on woodworking machinery, and I need to spend £4000 more before I can actually make anything" thread, I think he actually had more stuff than me :shock:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Mar 2021, 19:49

Trevanion wrote:I personally have no issues with people buying expensive tools if they want to, provided they know exactly what they're looking at and it's what they actually want. I don't think I'd ever buy a Holtey, S+S, Lazurus, Sparks, or another boutique plane maker's stuff but I can really appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail that goes into them, some people may use them but I imagine a high proportion are sold to collectors who keep them in display cases.

When I posted elsewhere we quite often had inexperienced people who seemed to think they needed to buy the absolute most expensive tool to do the job they wanted, and would get very aggressively defensive if someone suggested that a cheaper alternative may be a better choice, god help you if you suggested that they didn't actually need the tool to do the job :lol:

One that stands out was the "I spent £4000 on woodworking machinery, and I need to spend £4000 more before I can actually make anything" thread, I think he actually had more stuff than me :shock:

Yep totally agree with all of that. There are those who get angry/upset/ridicule people for buying them though (thankfully nobody here) which is just as bad IMO. Either way, like you I am unlikely to ever buy one, but I do like looking at them and appreciate the work that's gone into them. More than that I appreciate and applaud the fact that the makers can get people to part with the sums they do for them. :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Chris101 » 04 Mar 2021, 19:53

Being a noob I have no official opinion, ( :D ) but I've been to 2 little wood shows and I have met Oliver Sparks and his lovely wife and saw his planes first hand twice and they are just objects of beauty. You want to pick them up and hold them and feel the weight. They are the equivalent of steam trains and all that engineering and movement and steam. The perfect fusion of utility and good design like Victorian brickwork.

I met Phil once at the last Essex showand bought a bit of boxwood. He stiffed me. ;) Kidding! His planes were just as beautiful and useful.
Saur and Steiner blog I occasionally look in on just to look.
I don't need one and never will, I certainly won't ever own a plane made by any of the above, but I think the world is a better place because they exist. They are superlative. In a world that is full of grey and black and silver family suvs, I'm glad that someone out there is driving a red Karmen Ghia just because. Not the best beauty/performance analogy to be fair, but you know what I mean. It's good to have choice even if I can't afford it personally. The rich tapestry of life. ;)
1920px-Lavenham,_VW_Cars_And_Camper_Vans_(27863655982).jpg
(1.17 MiB)
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Next

Return to Hand Toolery