It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:36

Narex Chisel backs - an observation

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Narex Chisel backs - an observation

Postby Dr.Al » 10 Apr 2021, 09:01

I've got rather a lot of Narex chisels - probably more than I need if I'm honest, but I really like the big chunky handles and they seem to hold an edge well compared to the (not very many) Marples ones I had before and I love the fact they're in metric sizes. Some I bought because I wanted a particular size, some I bought because they were on offer and I was close to a free delivery threshold and it seemed a good option.

Anyway... at the risk of starting a sharpening discussion, the first thing I do when I first put my hands on a chisel is rub the back on a 300 grit diamond stone until the resulting scratch marks go all the way across the cutting tip. I then worry about higher grits and the bevel, but I've found it slightly interesting how quickly I can get the back flat.

The chisels I've got are a mixture of 8116 bench chisels and 8112 mortice chisels. They came from Workshop Heaven (all the mortice chisels, some of the bench chisels) and Yandles (the rest of the bench chisels). All the ones from Yandles had a shiny polished finish on the back (until I rubbed them on the stone!); all the ones from Workshop Heaven had diagonal grinding marks.

My initial assumption was that the Workshop Heaven ones were ground flat for ease of flattening and the Yandles ones were polished to make them look pretty at the expense of functionality. However, with every single chisel I've bought from Yandles, it's only taken a few seconds of rubbing on the diamond stone to get the tip fully ground (usually with a small unground elliptical area 10 to 15 mm back from the edge, which I don't worry about). Every single chisel I've bought from Workshop Heaven has taken me upwards of half-an-hour to get to the same state (and one I resorted to some 120 grit wet-and-dry on a bit of glass).

Not sure what to conclude from that about the way they're made, I just thought it was an interesting observation.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Re: Narex Chisel backs - an observation

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Apr 2021, 09:44

I can't comment on the rest of the Narex range, but the 'Richter's' I've had for a few weeks require just the barest minimum of a few swipes on some SS films to prepare the back. They're all 'flat' and one or two are just very slightly hollow. They take a really good edge (as good as my former Japanese chisels, also from WH) and I'm currently just working my way through the slightly softer first half mm of the edge; something that's to be expected with all Narex chisels - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Narex Chisel backs - an observation

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Apr 2021, 09:56

I know some people are very focussed on chisel backs - but I am not convinced it makes any real difference. My approach is switch the Sorby on and sharpen the chisel. Possibly let a fine belt take a burr off, but more usually do a quick hone on a diamond plate. Once chisel has been used a bit, all is well. I don't fiddle with the tools much.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery