It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

How does an Ultimatum brace hold the bits?

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

How does an Ultimatum brace hold the bits?

Postby Andy Kev. » 18 Apr 2021, 08:47

I suppose this question is right up Andy T's street, although I bet there are a few others who know as well. My question is as per the title. Ultimatum braces seem to be a combination of a tool and a work of art. I've only ever seen pictures of them. Are they good, functioning tools and how do they hold the bits? Do they need special bits?
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: How does an Ultimatum brace hold the bits?

Postby AndyT » 18 Apr 2021, 09:03

Quick answer: The ends of the bits are square in cross section and tapered. The socket they fit in has a matching taper. They also have a spring loaded latch which locks into a notch on that tapered tip.
It was normal for the user to file a notch into the bits in the right place. For a system which lasted so very long, it's no surprise that there was some variation in the exact sizes of the square tapered ends and exact position of the latch/notch.

I'll add some pics later if nobody else does.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Andy Kev. » 18 Apr 2021, 09:28

I knew you'd know! :D

So does that mean that the bits which fit my Millers Falls and Stanley braces would need notches filed into them to fit an Ultimatum?

(As an aside, my MF is 10" and the Stanley is 8". The commonest size seems to be 10" but I find that the 8" is able to do nearly everything, although I suppose it is nice to know that one has a bit more clout in reserve, if needed.)
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Apr 2021, 10:17

In case there is anyone else who hadn't heard of an ultimatum brace before

https://www.oldtools.co.uk/products/wm- ... rill-brace

Looks gorgeous.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AndyT » 18 Apr 2021, 11:25

In general, most bits fit most braces well enough. If the taper doesn't match there may be a bit of a wobble but it's like you get with some of those drill bits with a quarter inch hex shank. Once the hole is started, it doesn't matter.

With most metal braces, there is some way of externally gripping the tapered shank so everything locks up tight. Earlier arrangements had a thumbscrew or a latch. There were, of course, many variations. Hundreds of thousands of thoughtful use by clever tradesmen were bound to throw up fresh ideas and quite a lot made it into production.

I don't regard myself as a serious collector of these things, but I do have more than I strictly need. (Though no expensive ultimatum.)

My best users are a Spofford, a modernish Stanley and a little wooden brace - the bling free version of the ultimatum.

They are thoroughly practical tools, still capable of the work they were made for.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Andy Kev. » 18 Apr 2021, 13:24

Thanks Andy, that's interesting.

If my calculations are correct (and they rarely are) there's just a chance that the tax man might have to make an error in my favour this year which would cover the cost of an ultimatum. I'll have to wait and see.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 18 Apr 2021, 17:17

Ok, a few more thoughts to help you down the old tools slope, Andy.

There's a simple hierarchy in old wooden or part wooden braces. The basic model is just beechwood. The catch that holds the bits in can be released either with a button or a lever. These are pretty common and sometimes sell on eBay for not very much at all - I probably paid under a tenner for one which I keep with a countersink bit installed. (They are ideal for that - quick, lightweight and relatively compact.

Next step up is the plated brace, which is like the simple brace but with four curved bits of flat brass let in to the surface as decorative reinforcements. Again, usually found with a button or lever.

And then the Ultimatum style, analogous to an infill plane, has a hollow brass body stuffed with wood, often ebony, rosewood or boxwood. The catch is generally an unobtrusive ring at the nose of the tool, which needs to be pulled to release it. Very neat and ingenious. Marples owned the patent for the Ultimatum but there are plenty of other names found on them and a huge variation in materials - and in condition now. They are well established as a desirable collectable, to the extent that even the standard book about them - The Ultimate Brace by Reg Eaton - is a collectable too.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Andy Kev. » 18 Apr 2021, 19:41

Thanks, Andy. Your description of the locking mechanisms completes the jigsaw puzzle for me. I had looked at pictures of the Ultimatum but could see no obvious mechanism.

BTW, I'm not wholly new to old tools. As far as mine go, if it bores holes then its second hand. I've already mentioned my braces. My eggbeaters are from Millers Falls (Nos 2 and 5) and my favourite, which is made by Footprint, because it has a chuck key which means that it grips the bits better than all the others. The MF No 5 was a bit of a bargain from a flea market. I got it for €20 and the bloke didn't know that it had a set of bits in the handle.

Incidentally, I would love it if a modern manufacturer would produce an egg beater and a brace to the highest modern standards. The only firm that I'm aware of that has done that is Bridge City Tools but they command collectors prices. I'd love to have the BC egg beater thought.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Apr 2021, 21:27

Am I the only one who thought ?

braces.png
(936.36 KiB)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 20 Apr 2021, 08:21

Andy Kev. wrote:
BTW, I'm not wholly new to old tools. As far as mine go, if it bores holes then its second hand. I've already mentioned my braces. My eggbeaters are from Millers Falls (Nos 2 and 5) and my favourite, which is made by Footprint, because it has a chuck key which means that it grips the bits better than all the others. The MF No 5 was a bit of a bargain from a flea market. I got it for €20 and the bloke didn't know that it had a set of bits in the handle.

Incidentally, I would love it if a modern manufacturer would produce an egg beater and a brace to the highest modern standards. The only firm that I'm aware of that has done that is Bridge City Tools but they command collectors prices. I'd love to have the BC egg beater thought.

If that Footprint is the blue one with a choice of straight and angled handles, I think you've already got one of the best available. Because they came out relatively late (sixties?) used ones are often in really good nick. Mine runs sweeter than the Stanley equivalent or any other one I own.

As for new alternatives, Dictum and Fine Tools in Germany both list a few, as does Workshop Heaven in the UK. I've not handled any of them but I'm already set up with good old ones so for me there's no point.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Andy Kev. » 20 Apr 2021, 20:01

The braces that Dictum offer are made in France, I believe. Apparently those are the last braces in production. Come to think of it, I've never seen one on display in the Dictum shop in Munich. An American chap reviewed the French ones and declared them to be not bad but not in the same league as a Millers Falls or one of the Bell Systems braces from North Bros.

My Footprint eggbeater is one of the blue ones and it is indeed a cracking bit of kit.

Given that there has been a bit of a hand tool revival going on for some years now and given that the prices of second hand tools are going up (the increases in prices on the Jim Bode website in the USA are alarming), it might end up being worth a manufacturer's while to get a decent brace and eggbeater on the market. It's the sort of thing that Veritas would probably do well.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery