It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:45

Making a mess in the garden, and some chair parts

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Making a mess in the garden, and some chair parts

Postby Sheffield Tony » 09 May 2021, 21:45

It seems like ages since I did some turning. Well actually it is ... In other circumstances this weekend should have been the Bodgers' Ball, and I would have been camping in a field somewhere making shavings. But for the second year it is cancelled, so I thought I do something at home - and getting out my tools I found a few chair bits I started last year this time. It never got finished what with lockdown, my broken ankle etc etc.

Even my block looks a bit worse for wear ...

20210509_181705.jpg
(738.28 KiB)

The down side of working in the garden - I'm going to have to rake up all my mess.

20210509_181737.jpg
(573.11 KiB)

A kit of parts:

20210509_181959.jpg
(753.56 KiB)

These are from a tree which was in my SIL's garden, it is a lot drier than ideal - not really green woodwork ! There's a chair here, but for the back legs - I haven't got anything long enough to hand. But there's a tree I have my eye on ...
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Re: Making a mess in the garden, and some chair parts

Postby Andyp » 10 May 2021, 06:07

Oh that is so cool.
Working outdoors is so much fun with no noise coming from the tools, other than than that of the gouge on the wood.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby clogs » 10 May 2021, 06:54

nice...
I work outside because there's no inside yet...
still waiting on planning P for the barn.......
biggest prob is working in the sun.......26-28 degree's yest......
today much o the same......
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 May 2021, 08:19

Ooooh, that's fun!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 10 May 2021, 12:10

I've decided that I dislike you tremendously. don't take it personally, I don't like anybody really, but I have a special spot for people I'm envious of.

a cracking bit of work, which beats my circular saw, power plane and router work in the front garden yesterday whilst turning old fence posts in to newer fence posts. had to do it in the front so I could keep one eye on the kids playing in the street, it also means I don't have to clean up because the chips all got blown away by the wind and are now someone else's problem. :D
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 10 May 2021, 18:25

Sheffield Tony wrote:.........I'm going to have to rake up all my mess.. ...

I'd be tempted to run the mower over it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 10 May 2021, 20:24

Ah yes, of the many appliances we have had to replace following a mass suicide during lockdown, the mower was one. And the grass collection is effectively by hoovering it up, so it may well do the job. And make a very nice composting mix !

The sun was the other problem working outdoors. Sometimes a bother because it dries out the wood too quickly, but this was already too dry to worry about that. The problem I was having was the sun going in and out - my eyes don't adapt quick enough, and combined with a year of rustiness, if the sun went in at a critical moment in rolling a bead it presented problems. It's a tricky thing moving the skew in so many axes at once, while treadling and backing the tool off from the work in sync with the return stroke - otherwise it lifts the tool off the rest, and usually a catch shortly follows leaving a nice big spiral down your spindle.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Cabinetman » 10 May 2021, 23:45

I had never considered that you would have to lift the tool off each time, not for novices ha ha, it takes me all my time to do something half passible on the lathe as it is!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby MattS » 23 May 2021, 19:08

I’d love to have a go with with a pole lathe. Do a little spoon carving when I have time, working with green wood is so much fun.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery