It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:18

Block Plane

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Block Plane

Postby Woodster » 15 Jul 2021, 12:02

I do very little flat work but I’ve watched quite a few videos recently on YouTube and a block plane looks like something that would come in handy. I rather like the look of these two. If you could only buy one which would you find most useful? Getting one is another matter as no one seems to have them in the UK at present.

882CD841-E714-46E7-A4B2-B1CE1900C6F3.jpeg
(128.76 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Block Plane

Postby Lurker » 15 Jul 2021, 12:34

Have you considered workshop heaven versions, quality control is likely to be better and they seem to be in stock.

Or.... you could look at my for sale thread as there is an old one there. :o
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby spb » 15 Jul 2021, 13:05

You might find it continues to be a challenge - Stanley's UK site doesn't list the Sweetheart range at all, and as far as I can tell it seems to be a US-only thing. As Lurker says, you might be better looking at the Quangsheng versions for reasonably priced new ones, or an old Stanley.

With that said, I'd pick the low angle one nine times out of ten. There are very few typical block plane tasks where the higher angle is in any way better, and modern manufacturing methods have basically eliminated the fragility problems that very low angle planes used to have. That applies whichever manufacturer you end up looking at.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Raymedullary » 15 Jul 2021, 13:07

Go for the low angle one I would say. They are nice to use for small end grain tasks. Although with the angle that the blade is ground at you lose some of this effect but still works out a little lower than a standard Bailey type plane.
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 13:17

Go for the low angle one at Workshop Heaven: virtually indistinguishable from a LN, but with an O1 blade rather than A2 - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jul 2021, 13:19

I regard them as an essential tool. I'm timber framing right now and I have one with me right now that is used to corner chamfer all joints and put a slight chamfer along all edges as an anti splinter measure. I must have done about a kilometre of chamfering by hand. Sharpened twice. It's still cutting fine. I even trim end grain with it on beams, working vertically, and clean up tenons with it.

I've used lots over the last 30 years and hands down the best is the Veritas DX60 with a PM V11 blade. Link here: https://www.classichandtools.com/acatal ... ml#SID=230

It does not drift out of adjustment, the blade stays sharp forever, and is very comfortable to use. A bit spendy now (it was under half when I bought mine) but I would replace it tomorrow if I had to.

I also have a like a great deal a Luberon bronze one, which is a bit smaller, can drift a bit but is also very good.

Block planes need to be low angle to be useful I find. And with fine adjustment to blade and throat.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 14:46

AJB Temple wrote:I regard them as an essential tool. I'm timber framing right now and I have one with me right now that is used to corner chamfer all joints and put a slight chamfer along all edges as an anti splinter measure. I must have done about a kilometre of chamfering by hand. Sharpened twice. It's still cutting fine. I even trim end grain with it on beams, working vertically, and clean up tenons with it.

I've used lots over the last 30 years and hands down the best is the Veritas DX60 with a PM V11 blade. Link here: https://www.classichandtools.com/acatal ... ml#SID=230

It does not drift out of adjustment, the blade stays sharp forever, and is very comfortable to use. A bit spendy now (it was under half when I bought mine) but I would replace it tomorrow if I had to.

I also have a like a great deal a Luberon bronze one, which is a bit smaller, can drift a bit but is also very good.

Block planes need to be low angle to be useful I find. And with fine adjustment to blade and throat.

I reviewed that for F&C when it first came out some years ago; nice but not IMO as good as the LN low angle block plane - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 15 Jul 2021, 15:21

Anoter vote for the LN low angle (60 1/2) fantastic plane.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Jul 2021, 17:29

Find an old Stanley or Record. £15 or £20 for a classic quality item.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 15 Jul 2021, 17:35

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I think I’ll have a look at the Axminster ones next time I’m over that way. They do two of their own versions that look ok. The Rider in particular looks quite nice.

Edit: At the D&M tool show I saw quite a lot of Stanley Sweetheart stuff the last time I went. I wonder if block planes were amongst them?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 17:55

Mike G wrote:Find an old Stanley or Record. £15 or £20 for a classic quality item.

I had one years ago; they work more or less, but nowhere near as good as a LN which is light years ahead. Sorry Mike, it’s just better; end of story - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jul 2021, 19:01

Woodbloke wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:
I reviewed that for F&C when it first came out some years ago; nice but not IMO as good as the LN low angle block plane - Rob

Yes, I am inclined to agree Rob. I've used the LN and it is at least just as good, and made of more premium materials but at the time I needed one they were out of stock. Would be more than happy to have one.

I think both the LN and Veritas are materially better than the Stanley / Record old ones. So happens I have both. Fully fettled. They need selling on. I don't normally say this about planes, but for block planes precision machining and high quality thread cutting etc, plus quality blade, makes a big difference in practical use.

My experience of Rider is helping two friends with them. These were number 4 1/2. Frankly they were shoddy. Axminster have abandoned quality control in my view. I lent Rob (friend) my Clifton (old and £66 on the bay at the time) and he saw the difference and bought a new one the same day. He actually bought LN because there was a fella on another forum selling a bronze one and I acquired it for him. Lovely quality tool in a nice box but wasted on a bodger :lol: (He may read this and chime in, but he is still a bodger).

You only need one block plane and it will last two lifetimes.  Buy a really good one such as LN or Veritas and you will never regret it. Same applies to rebate planes. Clifton are absolutely lovely to use. I will never part with mine and it cost a fortune on eBay at about £100 including unused spare blade. 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 16 Jul 2021, 06:40

I've got the Veritas low angle block plane and it is excellent and it has the advantage of being a few quid cheaper than the LN equivalent. I find that a block plane is one of those tools that I constantly reach for. You can even buy a chamfering attachment for the Veritas which if you are a purist, will almost look like heresy. However, being a heretic, I bought one and was glad of it when I decided that I needed to chamfer the edges of 6 boards in one go.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 16 Jul 2021, 07:58

Does anyone know when LN planes are going to be back in stock in the UK? I don't think Ax nor Classic Handtools have had any for over a year now. Asking for a friend :D
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TomTrees » 16 Jul 2021, 08:31

The LN is heavy, wouldn't be a winter user for me, its like holding a wee lump hammer.

Has anyone ever made a mini Bailey from an old frog?
I've seen some make mini planes, but I mean something like a no.1
I reckon I would prefer to use that one handed, or even two, but more importantly not have to hone steep bevels and ensure they're as sharp as can be for bevelling edges.

Tom
TomTrees
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Jul 2021, 19:03

Trevanion wrote:Does anyone know when LN planes are going to be back in stock in the UK? I don't think Ax nor Classic Handtools have had any for over a year now. Asking for a friend :D

No, but Veritas available here: https://www.toolnut.co.uk/products/veri ... e+shopping
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Jul 2021, 19:25

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:Find an old Stanley or Record. £15 or £20 for a classic quality item.

I had one years ago; they work more or less, but nowhere near as good as a LN which is light years ahead. Sorry Mike, it’s just better; end of story - Rob

Oh righto. Just like that. I've always had a hard time understanding this "my opinion trumps yours" thing. What if I just declare that my opinion trumps yours, end of story?* Frankly Rob, if you can't get a Stanley or Record to do anything other than "more or less work" when mine work like a dream, why would anyone trust your view on the comparison?

* It doesn't.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 16 Jul 2021, 20:36

I know very little about planes but from what I read some time ago one shortcoming on older planes is that the blades were rather thin which can cause unwanted vibration? Can I assume you may be able to get thicker Irons for old Block Planes? To be clear I’m not about to drop £200 + on something like a Block Plane however good it is! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Jul 2021, 21:02

Mike has made a fair point about what works for him. The best of my two old ones is the Record. The reason I don't get on with it, despite fettling, is that it is not comfortable in my hand, it feels unbalanced and the blade is hard to get anywhere near as sharp and resilient as V11.

If I were on a budget, I would buy a Luberon 102 bronze. They are about £70 and I really like mine.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Vann » 17 Jul 2021, 01:11

Woodster wrote:...The Rider in particular looks quite nice...

I believe the quality control on the Rider is very poor - and a low angle block plane NEEDS quality control. If the bed (where the iron sits) is even slightly out of whack it affects setting the iron. I've read of several examples of poorly machined beds (on low angle block planes in general) where the owner has to sharpen on a skew to set the iron square.

Of course you could always buy British (Clifton) and support local industry (instead of buying Chineese thereby supporting repression in Hong Kong). Buying Clifton also means parts are available locally (no need to wait while parts sit sideways in the Suez canal :mrgreen: ).

I bought a Veritas DX-60 when they first came out ~10 years ago. Nice plane, but I find it's weight a problem. As a result I still usually reach for my old Stanley No.110 :shock:. I rejected buying the Veritas Low Angle Block Plane for the same reason (weight). If you think that might be a problem for you, consider a second-hand Stanley or Record.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 17 Jul 2021, 06:04

Vann,

I think that how we view the weight of a plane is very subjective. It's interesting that while you feel that the normal Veritas low angle block plane is too heavy, I like the feel of solidity and heft it has. I don't think I'd want anything much heavier but I also don't think that a lighter plane would be a disadvantage. I certainly don't feel that it weighs enough to make long use tiring.

I reckon that a more significant factor is how it sits in the hand. For instance someone with small hands might find the Veritas to be a touch too big.

Andy.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Jul 2021, 08:18

It had never occurred to me that some people might find the Veritas heavy. It never crossed my mind and I don't even notice it in use. The bronze Luberon 102 (basically a copy of the LN102) is smaller and lighter.

Clifton planes are really good, but the OP has said he is not paying £200 for a block plane, and Clifton is more than that.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TomTrees » 17 Jul 2021, 11:18

I have had first hand experience with the Azimuth error which Vann has mentioned on both an old Stanley 60 1/2 and a wider newer Record/Irwin 60 1/2.
That would need a bit of scraping work with a file/blunt chisel technique to sort.
The sole wasn't flat on both planes either, and it needs to be co-planar with the bed of the shoe, or vice versa.

Messing those up made me spring for a LN which sits in me folks house.
I reckon I'd drop it if I used it much, if your hands sweat that's another reason to dislike the weight, if looking for a one handed plane.
A Bailey no.3 has done all of what I need so far in that regard, for anything freehand that is (very seldom in my case)
Still gonna keep the fancy thing for inlay and make a mini shooting board sometime, so the weight is advantageous in this regard.

Tom
TomTrees
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 17 Jul 2021, 12:26

I just remembered we had a similar conversation 6 months ago if you want to read it:

https://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5145

In that thread, you see that I bought a cheapo new old stock Record 60 1/2 off eBay for under £20, it had its problems (I think with the abundance of new old stocks from the early 2000s that are kicking about, it may have been from a callback batch or something) but it was mostly straight and rectifiable with a couple of hours work. I use it frequently and it works well for how much it cost, I haven't used a boutique block plane such as the LN, Veritas or Clifton so I don't have anything else to compare it to other than the old block planes such as other Records and Stanleys that I've used.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jul 2021, 13:09

TomTrees wrote:.....Still gonna keep the fancy thing for inlay and make a mini shooting board....

My Record block plane is my first-choice shooting plane. I much prefer it over any of the bigger planes for boards under an inch thick.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Hand Toolery