It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:30

Pizza cutter

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Pizza cutter

Postby Woodster » 10 Aug 2021, 16:25

You can’t go to Naples without eating a Pizza - it’s illegal! :lol:

I like Pepperoni on Pizza but I think I read somewhere it’s not popular with the Italians on Pizza?
I didn’t think to take a picture of the menu when I was there, I should have done.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Aug 2021, 16:52

Pizza toppings are up there with bolognaise ingredients for upsetting the food snobs.
Anything goes in this house, mainly left overs.
I bet the restaurant in Naples never had an Hawaiian on their menu, topped off with pineapple, one of our favs from local takeaway.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 10 Aug 2021, 17:55

Woodster wrote:You can’t go to Naples without eating a Pizza - it’s illegal! :lol:

I like Pepperoni on Pizza but I think I read somewhere it’s not popular with the Italians on Pizza?
I didn’t think to take a picture of the menu when I was there, I should have done.

Its preferred in calzone.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Aug 2021, 18:23

sunnybob wrote:Any pizza that is not covered with pepperoni is NOT a pizza. :eusa-naughty: :eusa-naughty: :eusa-naughty:

If you’re in Napoli SB, the only pizza you’re likely to shove in yer cake ‘ole is a Margherita, with tomato base, mozzarella and a handful of chopped basil. The heathen addition of pepperoni or other such ingredients is likely to result in a visit from the Carabinieri :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Aug 2021, 18:33

Margherita named after Queen Margherita of Savoy with the red tomato, white mozzarella and green basil representing the Italian flag. NALOPKT :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 10 Aug 2021, 19:38

I had a Margherita con chipola in Naples. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 10 Aug 2021, 21:44

Don’t know why you’re talking about Italians, the pizza capital of Europe is Grimsby! More pizzas made there than anywhere else in Europe, mind you I didn’t say they were good pizzas.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby sunnybob » 11 Aug 2021, 06:02

Woodbloke wrote:
sunnybob wrote:Any pizza that is not covered with pepperoni is NOT a pizza. :eusa-naughty: :eusa-naughty: :eusa-naughty:

If you’re in Napoli SB, the only pizza you’re likely to shove in yer cake ‘ole is a Margherita, with tomato base, mozzarella and a handful of chopped basil. The heathen addition of pepperoni or other such ingredients is likely to result in a visit from the Carabinieri :lol: - Rob

I'm safe, Wont be going to napoli in this lifetime :eusa-naughty: :lol:

As a further hijack though, on my second and last trip to Italy I have had spaghetti Bolognese in Bologna :eusa-clap: 8-) 8-)

Nowadays I buy a very nice frozen deep pan pepperoni from LIDL, which seems to be made in Greece. :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 11 Aug 2021, 12:32

Heston Bluementhal went to Bologna to do research to perfect his own “Bolognese”. It was a very interesting programme. He went to one of the top restaurants there and they didn't serve spag bog but rather “Tagliatelle Ragú”, at least that’s what he said.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 11 Aug 2021, 13:05

It was a company trip, engineers and middle management learning a new machine our company was taking on the UK dealership of.
A dozen of us, in a vaulted cellar restaurant, wonderful evening, the owner came out and poured us all "100 year old" brandy :eusa-whistle: :eusa-liar:
The bill totalled well over a half million... lire of course :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 11 Aug 2021, 18:51

I found the episode. Heston adds Garlic to his which he says the Italians would find unthinkable. I’m with the Italians on this as I don’t like garlic! :lol:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6s6daq
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Aug 2021, 17:20

Andyp wrote:Margherita named after Queen Margherita of Savoy with the red tomato, white mozzarella and green basil representing the Italian flag. NALOPKT :)

Took my great niece to a pizza establishment at lunchtime and imparted this newly found knowledge on the waitress. Not sure if the look she gave me said "that's interesting " or "are you supposed to be allowed out ".
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Aug 2021, 17:28

Woodster wrote:I found the episode. Heston adds Garlic to his which he says the Italians would find unthinkable. I’m with the Italians on this as I don’t like garlic! :lol:

Garlic pizza!, what garlic on pizza!?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 12 Aug 2021, 17:31

Woodster wrote:I found the episode. Heston adds Garlic to his which he says the Italians would find unthinkable. I’m with the Italians on this as I don’t like garlic! :lol:

Round here we call that garlic bread.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 12 Aug 2021, 17:42

9fingers wrote:For a cheat pizza base I tend to buy large supermarket naan bread and use that. The longest part of the job is chopping up all the various toppings.
We tend to go for a meat feast/ cheese feast type of combination washed down with the aforementioned Malbec!

Bob

:text-goodpost: Thanks for the heads up on the naan bread pizza base Bob. We buy a load when in the UK, as hard to find here, and freeze them. Garlic and coriander from Sainsbury's usually. Tried it last night, just with ham, mushroom and mozzarella. Yummy.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 12 Aug 2021, 18:54

Lurker wrote:

Garlic pizza!, what garlic on pizza!?

No, in Spag Bog!

Having said that I guy I know with a Pizza van who adds Garlic to a lot of his Pizza’s for some strange reason. When I had a look at the menu from Starita in Naples they listed about 30 different Pizza’s and only two had Garlic added.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Aug 2021, 19:23

Andyp wrote:
9fingers wrote:For a cheat pizza base I tend to buy large supermarket naan bread and use that. The longest part of the job is chopping up all the various toppings.
We tend to go for a meat feast/ cheese feast type of combination washed down with the aforementioned Malbec!

Bob

:text-goodpost: Thanks for the heads up on the naan bread pizza base Bob. We buy a load when in the UK, as hard to find here, and freeze them. Garlic and coriander from Sainsbury's usually. Tried it last night, just with ham, mushroom and mozzarella. Yummy.

Glad it worked well for you. Just about the easiest/quickest way
If you like thin crust pizza the cheats way, use ready made wraps. I tend to stick two together with a little tomato ketchup.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby MattS » 13 Aug 2021, 09:32

This will probably be controversial but despite having a selection of good knives, pizza always get cut with scissors :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 13 Aug 2021, 10:53

Are they proper Pizza Scissors?

B7CF2D11-A48C-446F-8F72-4DA799CABA15.jpeg
(35.38 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Aug 2021, 12:09

Thanks for the heads up. I never knew pizza scissors existed. They look easier to clean and less likely to get the cutting edge damaged. I might get a pair.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery