It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:21

Hammer for a child aged 8

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Hammer for a child aged 8

Postby timothyedoran » 11 Dec 2021, 11:10

Tool buying advice sought. My son aged 8 would like a claw hammer for Christmas to add to his tool kit. What would you recommend.

I think a smaller hammer might be more useful right now, but I still have my 16oz claw hammer from a similar age. I'm not looking to spend big money. He said he definitely does not want a panel pin hammer, it must have the nail pulling claw.

This comes as either a 8 or 16oz version
Draper Redline 67661 225 g 8 oz Claw Hammer with Hardwood Shaft https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NCX3GW/ ... 6J4R?psc=1
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Re: Hammer for a child aged 8

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2021, 11:56

I know the short stubby ones will not have the leverage for nail extraction but would they be easier to use in young hands.? I have never tried one BTW.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-11201-S ... B00JITHXRM
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Dec 2021, 12:28

At 8 I was using full sized tools. If he is a big lad get him a full size hammer.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 11 Dec 2021, 13:07

stubby hammers are worthless trinkets, they don't have the shaft length for anything more than brute force.

I'd be looking at a light weight but full sized hammer so he can learn to control a swinging object instead of how to smack stuff in with his own strength. something like an 8 oz from draper (wood handle if you can find one) would be a good option.

I say this coming from a similar boat and it's what I got my 8 year old.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2021, 13:15

Dave, Adrian, makes perfect sense and actually reminds me that I have selected and bought a box full of tools for my 20yr old for Christmas. Not being able to find a wooden handled hammer I included one of those composite ones.
I know how to treat the women in my house don’t I ;)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 12 Dec 2021, 20:56

I’ve got maybe 35-40 hammers including two claw hammers. The claw hammers are the only tools I can think of that includes a part of the design that is there to correct mistakes! :lol:

I had quite a number of nails to pull out a while back and I bought a purpose made single ended puller with a rubber handle. It had better leverage than a hammer so made the job easier.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 27 Apr 2022, 14:38

resurrecting an old thread for completeness. I opted for the 8oz hammer in this variety https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NCX3GW/ ... 6J4R?psc=1
My son was delighted and its the right weight for him.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby novocaine » 27 Apr 2022, 14:55

that should see him right for the rest of his life. obviously he'll need bigger ones (and smaller ones) as he grows up, but it will last him a lifetime, trigger style. :)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby timothyedoran » 27 Apr 2022, 15:01

novocaine wrote:that should see him right for the rest of his life. obviously he'll need bigger ones (and smaller ones) as he grows up, but it will last him a lifetime, trigger style. :)

:lol:

I almost have Trigger's bike. I got it when I was 14, twenty odd years ago. Only the frame is original now.
timothyedoran
Sapling

Postby sunnybob » 28 Apr 2022, 04:39

I'm sure I was using a hammer at 8, helping my dad in his back room workshop, but my son at 8 was only interested in sports and would have barely known what to do with one (despite growing up to be a time served carpenter :lol: ). My grandson at 8 would have been a danger to him and his sister, as despite having a keen interest in tools, was so easily distracted by everything that he wouldnt have been able to concentrate enough to hit the nail.

As in so many things, age is secondary to attitude.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery