It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:08

Out of square square

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Out of square square

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Dec 2021, 19:44

AndyT wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:The very best wooden stocked squares were the one's made by Marples (iIrc) where the stock was riveted onto a dead true 'L' shaped lump of metal and so was virtually impossible to go out of square.
I expect Andy T could give us some more info? - Rob

Sorry Rob, but that's a new one for me - any idea when they were made? Late 20th century? William Marples or Joseph?

The one in RayM's pic is the bad boy; I had a set of three round about that time and they were brilliant - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 18 Dec 2021, 20:29

I have two old 12” ones that are spot on, will have a look for a name tomorrow.

It’s my birthday in January, I thought I might drop hints about one of these

https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/ac ... ml#SID=452
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 20 Dec 2021, 11:57

As said, knock it back to square then hammer the rivets. I had to do this recently with a modern Bahco square.
I definitely wouldn’t put a file anywhere near it, you’ll struggle to get it flat again.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 20 Dec 2021, 12:43

I bought an old 12" square, and filed it. It is probably not square and straight to engineering standards, but it is plenty good enough for regular woodwork. When I got it, it was already worn so that the edges of the blade were kind of dished a bit, so beyond knocking back to shape, and not much to lose.

Actually, it is amazing what can be done by proficient filing. Not that I am claiming to be proficient myself, you understand.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Woodbloke » 20 Dec 2021, 13:43

Sheffield Tony wrote:
Actually, it is amazing what can be done by proficient filing.

Just to go slightly off topic for a moment, but relevant to filing and metal bashing in general, I heard that once upon a time, Rolls Royce apprentices were given a chunk of mild steel, a set of new files and other kit, then simply told to ''make it into a cube''

No idea whether or not it's true, but it's one of those anecdotes associated with RR - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 20 Dec 2021, 13:55

Woodbloke wrote:
Sheffield Tony wrote:
Actually, it is amazing what can be done by proficient filing.

Just to go slightly off topic for a moment, but relevant to filing and metal bashing in general, I heard that once upon a time, Rolls Royce apprentices were given a chunk of mild steel, a set of new files and other kit, then simply told to ''make it into a cube''

No idea whether or not it's true, but it's one of those anecdotes associated with RR - Rob

completely true, they were given dimensions and a tolerance and sent on their way.
those who were given turning qualifications were given a similar exercise.
british atomic energy gave comparable tests to it's group of engineers too.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Raymedullary » 20 Dec 2021, 14:06

I thought it was a sphere!
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 20 Dec 2021, 15:04

I remember seeing a filing test-piece in Penny Farthing Tools. It was two bits of steel, one looking a bit like a mitre template, ie a rectangle with a square bite out of it tilted at 45 degrees. The ends of the gap were at right angles. Another piece of steel had to fit into it, which it did, perfectly. If any of the surfaces had had one stroke of the file too many, the fit would have been loose, but it wasn't. This was the skill which kept the Navy afloat.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 20 Dec 2021, 15:50

During training we were given a 4” length of round bar and told to chisel it square and then file one side flat. Marking blue and blood produces an interesting combination.
I suppose carpenters squares don’t require it but some of my engineers squares have hardened steel blades so “adjusting” it with a file could prove problematic. Even some stainless steels aren’t very nice to file.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 21 Dec 2021, 09:46

Carpenters squares are as hard to file as a saw blade.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 21 Dec 2021, 12:02

Looking through an old Dictum catalogue I noticed maybe half of them in there say they have Hardened steel blades. Obviously not designed to be “corrected” by filing? The Bahco I had to adjust was a bit tricky as the rivets were behind a glued in plastic cover. Once off though it was easy to punch the rivets to fix it.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 21 Dec 2021, 17:45

It depends the type of tool steel and tempering, you can have a super hard chisel/engineering square or a carpenters square that you can file.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery