It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:49

Diamond Plate Extension

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Diamond Plate Extension

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 12:07

Following on from the recent water stone thread, the OP was quite correct IMO that the SS films do wear quite rapidly, which is probably their main disadvantage (apart from being quite flimsy) so I got round to thinking about diamond stones again over the last few days.

One of things that always irritated me was that the excellent DMT stones that I used to use were too short, so that with a honing guide, only a small part of the very expensive diamonds could be used. Now though, there are some much larger plates, one of which goes to XXF which they say is 8000g.

IMG_6423.jpeg
(416.41 KiB)

Wot I did here was to make a runway extension for the roller, so that all the grit could be used and I packed up the Fine stone with some thin card to get it exactly co-planer. This is an old DMT plate and is just a 'lash up' to see if the idea worked.

Did it? Absolutely brilliant :eusa-dance: so I may be changing from SS films and reverting to a couple of large diamond plates - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery