It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:32

Thirteen planes for £12

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Thirteen planes for £12

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 16:55

I picked up a few planes yesterday, mainly with the view of rescuing some of the blades:

Turns out there are one or two in there which interest me, particularly this little thing:

Next to a Record block plane for size comparison:

Does anyone know what it is? It has a couple of problems. One of which is that someone has drilled out oversized holes in the blade to lengthen the slot, and so now it barely sits on the little post thingy that it's supposed to bear onto. Secondly, the screw isn't original, and has a stripped thread. Does anyone know what the plane is? Don't suppose you know what the screw thread will be?

I've never seen a number 2 before, and I've never seen a Guys plane:

Does anyone know if the throwaway blades for a Paramo no. 10 rebate plane are still available?

I'm not particularly interested in keeping any of these, so if anyone wants any of them, or wants additional photos, just shout.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Thirteen planes for £12

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 17:00

Don't think you've picked up any rare Norris planes in that lot Mike :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 17:14

No, it's not a stunning haul. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 17 Jan 2022, 17:25

I think what you've got there are planes for lending to other people, not for using yourself ;)

But to answer one question, I think new old stock replacement blades sometimes show up on eBay but I don't know of a better source. However, I think Stanley RB10 blades are interchangeable with Paramo, if that's any help. And they'll stand being resharpened a few times if you just want to try it out.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2022, 17:42

the blade in the tiddler of block plane looks like it's from something else that's been ground down to fit, but the blade has been turned round so the big hole is at the tip not the tail.
I can't see any evidence of a cross pin so it must have been made to bolt down as it does, which I've never seen done quite so crudely.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Sheffield Tony » 17 Jan 2022, 17:48

I had a tiny little plane (about 1" iron width), from my grandad, which had the blade secured by a tapped in pressed metal wedge. Does that out-crude this one ?
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby droogs » 17 Jan 2022, 17:57

they were located in Dulwich gowley rd
made various things block planes, yankee type screwdrivers, mole grips and house stand lamps. appear to have gone under around 1972 not much more than that out there about them
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AndyT » 17 Jan 2022, 18:46

I've delved into the less salubrious, more embarrassing corners of the workshop and can confirm a bit more detail about disposable plane blades - read that how you will.

IMG_20220117_172017009.jpg
Stanley above, Paramo below
(133.51 KiB)

Stanley RB10 blades were 50mm x 8mm
Paramo Planemaster blades were 51mm x 7.5mm

Both were about .7mm thick.

I reckon Stanley blades fit ok in the Paramo plane.
Paramo blades are probably ok in the Stanley plane but being smaller there is less clearance in front of the slot.

Paramo did offer an optional extra honing device for their more economically minded customers but I don't have one of those.

I have a faint memory of seeing some variant of this design in one of the DIY stores within the last decade or two. And a quick search shows that they do still make an RB5 block plane which uses disposable blades and D&M stock the blades.

But frankly, don't bother. I bought mine out of curiosity and have never really used either of them.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 19:14

droogs wrote:they were located in Dulwich gowley rd
made various things block planes, yankee type screwdrivers, mole grips and house stand lamps. appear to have gone under around 1972 not much more than that out there about them

Is this Guys you're talking about?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 17 Jan 2022, 19:16

Paramo did offer an optional extra honing device ...

Straying into dangerous territory, Andy. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 19:24

novocaine wrote:the blade in the tiddler of block plane looks like it's from something else that's been ground down to fit, but the blade has been turned round so the big hole is at the tip not the tail.

I wondered if this was just a really crude attempt to extend the slot, with a couple of oversized holes. If that's right, then the blade has been sharpened down about as far as it can go. However, it's a really thick blade. It's a lot thicker than my Stanley and Record block plane blades.

I can't see any evidence of a cross pin so it must have been made to bolt down as it does, which I've never seen done quite so crudely.

The bolt is definitely after-market, but as you say, there is no way else this has ever been secured down. So I am looking at replacing this silly little thing with a machine screw with a larger head, and a slot for a screw driver. Having exhausted my assorted bolt collection, and that of my engineering friend, I think we're going to be drilling this out and tapping a new thread. I've taken a bit of a shine to this funny little plane, and am determined to get it working nicely.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 19:25

Phil Pascoe wrote:Paramo did offer an optional extra honing device ....

I'm not faffing about trying to get an edge on something only a quarter of an inch wide! :lol: Or maybe just the once, to get it onto Ebay.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 19:32

AndyT wrote:I think what you've got there are planes for lending to other people, not for using yourself .....

There is a decent number 4 which I might clean up for son-in-law-2. The Guy's block plane looks OK, but obviously cheap, and he can have that as well. But yeah, that aside, I think you're right.

But frankly, don't bother. I bought mine out of curiosity and have never really used either of them.

Yeah, I think "don't bother" is the approach I'll take.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 17 Jan 2022, 22:30

Yes MikeG it is, founded 1944. Still listed with 3 active directors though on the companies list
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Return to Hand Toolery