It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:29

You wait all day for a marking gauge thread...

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

You wait all day for a marking gauge thread...

Postby Tiresias » 21 Feb 2022, 09:43

Well, if people are going to do marking gauge threads…

This is so as not to derail Dr Al’s or Mike G’s threads. And to be honest I can’t remember whether I have posted this before. But I use this:

Marking gauge 1.jpg
(248.38 KiB)

Marking gauge 2.jpg
(222.63 KiB)

It’s made from an old sycamore fire wood log, some fruit wood for the blade wedge, and the blade itself is made from the tip of an old (and previously much valued, I might add) rosewood handled decorator’s scraper, snapped off by my partner. Grumph.

There are, as astute readers will undoubtedly observe, a few key points.

1. It cost nothing.

2. It works.

3. It has a unique design feature at the far end of the shaft that almost looks as though the maker had cut the sloped recess the wrong way round. So the blade could never go closer than the wedge depth to the running surface. And then just reversed the shaft, had another go, and bunged in a tapered piece of pine that fitted so well that it seemed a crime to remove it and replace it with something less obvious.

And, as an aside, its method of operation is readily comprehensible to the meanest intelligence (i.e. me).
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Re: You wait all day for a marking gauge thread...

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Feb 2022, 09:49

^^ Great post. It almost looks....
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 21 Feb 2022, 12:55

Nice one, I have a cutting gauge but I must say it’s a long time since I’ve used it, I shall have to rectify that as of course it will leave a much nicer line across grain, which is really silly of me as the last time I used my normal marking gauge was across grain the other day and I didn’t like the effect it gave Doh!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AndyT » 21 Feb 2022, 14:06

Nice one. I like a simple wedge. Just to encourage you or anyone else to make some more, here are three from an assortment I bought cheap on eBay. All user made by an H.T.Galloway.

You can have the wedge in line with the stem or across the head.

--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 21 Feb 2022, 14:37

I think the last time I used such a tool was possibly 56 years ago at school.
I do very little marking out but when I do it is referenced off another part of the job.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Hand Toolery