It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

mitre trimmer

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

mitre trimmer

Postby sunnybob » 31 Mar 2022, 08:51

Cor, always wondered what it was like inside the HAND TOOLS section :lol: :lol:

Finally got my blades back from the sharpeners, and installed fairly easily. Although I have wound out the 6 adjuster screws on each blade and just used the three per side machine screws and nuts.
Its definitely a finger shortener for the unwary :shock:
Set it all up and shaved off a 2 mm wafer from a piece of Bubinga, although I had to put both shoulders to work. :eusa-doh:
But (there is isnt there? theres always one) The etched angle markings on the base are for general guidelines only, which is a very big disappointment.
I had hoped that by buying a vintage (possibly antique) machine I had bypassed the chinese accuracy problems.
The 45 degree is more than 1 degree out. Multiply that by eight and pictures frames are rubbish.
Of course theres no calibration except by eye so now I have to spend a day or two trialling and erroring before I can mark new degree lines.

Aint nuffink simple, is there?
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: mitre trimmer

Postby Lons » 31 Mar 2022, 09:05

But it keeps you out of mischief Bob. :lol: I spend half my time in the workshop just faffing about with little to show at the end of it. My missus doesn't mind as it keeps me out of her hair.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby AndyT » 31 Mar 2022, 09:33

If you only ever want 45°, isn't it a one time job, getting it set up to your requirements, tightening down and leaving it there?
Better than a built-in detent in the wrong place.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 31 Mar 2022, 09:41

I would be making up setting blocks for the angles that I expect to commonly use and marking them in bold colours/stripes etc to avoid them getting consumed or finding their way into the scrap bin.
45 degrees should be easy enough if you have a combination square.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby NickM » 31 Mar 2022, 09:44

2mm sounds like quite a large cut?
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 31 Mar 2022, 11:05

2 mm bubinga is a really large cut. :o I wont be trying that again :eusa-naughty:

I have already started collecting setting up blocks. The left side took me a half dozen tries to get 45 degrees, but I used a bit of 2 x 2 soft wood and then transferred that to the right side to set that one.

Right now, 45 degrees for picture frames and display boxes are my main push, but I have always been fascinated by "circular" wooden frames of a dozen or more pieces.

The beauty is that it will now cost me nothing in blades or power, or even dust, while I play.

I wish I had room to leave it bolted down somewhere, it takes much more effort than I had thought, even with a whisper cut, and jumps all over the workbench when under pressure.
My next task is to find some way of measuring the forward movement needed, a gentle tap can move the wood anywhere from nowhere to 5 mm. I only need 0.5 mm at most.

After that I have to set up my scary sharp films (NO NO NO< THIS IS NOT A SHARPENING THREAD) because if I can get a secondary bevel on these blades I think I can greatly reduce the amount of puff required.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 31 Mar 2022, 11:19

They usually need some fettling. Don't take the markings on the table as gospel. I have made some very accurate birch ply angle templates to set mine up. Now your shooting board will be gathering a good layer of dust! Happy mitering :D
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 31 Mar 2022, 11:33

sunnybob wrote:
The beauty is that it will now cost me nothing in blades or power, or even dust, while I play.

There you go Bob, you DO appreciate hand tools! ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Lurker » 31 Mar 2022, 11:42

My knee jerk is that a secondary bevel is counter productive in this instance. But that’s just a guess on my part.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 31 Mar 2022, 12:36

AndyT, :eusa-naughty: but I wish I had a cheap way of motorising it :D

Lurker, maybe my choice of word is inappropriate, Theyve just come back from a saw sharpening shop, but I think I can get a finer edge and reduce wear and tear on my shoulder. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 31 Mar 2022, 17:05

Couldn’t you find a length of pipe that would slide over the handle to create a bit of leverage?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 31 Mar 2022, 17:07

I could, but its a wrought iron lever, working on a cast iron base thats an unknown number of years old, but quite possibly a 100. I'm not going to snap that cast iron, oh no oh no oh no. :eusa-naughty:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 31 Mar 2022, 19:05

But that way you could save pressure on your shoulder. I wasn’t suggesting you applied more force on the handle.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 31 Mar 2022, 19:32

sunnybob wrote:AndyT, :eusa-naughty: but I wish I had a cheap way of motorising it :D

You could put an eccentric on it so that the blades oscillate back and forth when powered by a motor, much like a steam engine.

I cannot be held liable for loss of appendages :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 31 Mar 2022, 20:52

All future projects for consideration. Got to get with my current backlog. To think I started this hobby so I could relax after retiring. I never seem to get to the top of the list.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery