It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:11

Drills & dovetails

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Drills & dovetails

Postby AndyT » 08 Aug 2022, 09:00

On the subject of mitred dovetail joints in general, I wonder if everyone knows about this excellent post from professional cabinet maker Custard? He posted it on another forum rather than on here as that's where he was active at the time, but the content is well worth a look.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/ho ... ip.112467/
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Dr.Al » 08 Aug 2022, 09:32

AndyT wrote:On the subject of mitred dovetail joints in general, I wonder if everyone knows about this excellent post from professional cabinet maker Custard? He posted it on another forum rather than on here as that's where he was active at the time, but the content is well worth a look.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/ho ... ip.112467/

I hadn't come across that post, but it looks (as you say) excellent.

I watched a Matt Estlea video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8Ee_wy5D4) and was basing my approach on that (although I'd watched it a month or two ago and didn't go back and was doing it from memory rather than rewatching). The video was very good, but I'd much rather read a well-written description (with photos!) rather than watch a video: it's much easier to spend time on the bits that I want to and skip over the bits that are obvious to me and it's also much easier to go back and check a detail.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Woodbloke » 08 Aug 2022, 09:59

Blackswanwood wrote:Looking good Al.

A quick couple of questions if I may ...

Rob - presumably the first pin down is thicker to compensate for the saw kerf when you make the cut to separate the lid?

When you are using a solid panel for the lid (and base) do you glue it into the groove or is it left floating in case of movement?

I'd have put the tails showing on the front of the box (without thinking rather than as a considered design choice) and a quick Google of images seems to show most (but not all) boxes made that way - do you see pins to the front as more aesthetically pleasing? (For the avoidance of doubt I'm just curious and not looking to open a new version of the cutting tails or pins first debate :lol: )

Cheers

Robert

Yep, the first pin is deliberately left over thick to make allowance for separating the lid and subsequent cleaning up. I usually leave the lid floating in the groove and it's a snug fit so it doesn't slop around too much. To my way of thinking, it doesn't really matter where you put the tails. This was the final result:

IMG_5069.jpeg
(78.83 KiB)

...and the rosewood is so dark the joints are difficult to spot. C'est la guerre :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 14 Aug 2022, 10:38

I hadn't seen that Custard tutorial before. It looks very helpful.

The box I made in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7140) was very closely based on Matt Estlea's toolbox series (the main difference is that I incorporated a flush veneered lid rather than a loose panel).

I think the difference between Custard's and Matt's approach is that the top/bottom pin has one flat side if that makes sense. You can see it on my box here:

IMG_0780.jpeg
(314.83 KiB)

Custard's (and I think it's the same on Rob's box) equivalent pin would be angled on both sides. I think this is why he mentions there is a "compound" angle to be sawn on that pin.

I think Matt's version might be easier to make, but Custard's (and Rob's) looks better. I'll have to give it a try!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery