It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:48

Rust, Inaccuracy and a Combination Square

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Rust, Inaccuracy and a Combination Square

Postby Andy Kev. » 10 Apr 2022, 11:36

I thought I'd mention this short cautionary tale in case anybody else finds themselves in a similar position.

My tools have little chance of getting rusty - I use oil on my sharpening stones and there is no source of water in the workshop. The only time that I seem to end up with spots of rust is through drops of sweat getting onto tools. Obviously I wipe sweat away whenever I see it but sometimes I miss the odd drop.

Yesterday I was checking some mitre angles using a 12" and a 6" combination square on the basis of whichever was nearest to hand. I noticed that I was getting marginally different results. I looked closer at the squares and spotted a patch of rust on the mitre face of the 6" square right up against the ruler. It had "bubbled up" in the way that rust can and this was inducing the inaccuracy. It took no more than 20 secs of gentle rubbing on a diamond stone and then it was bang in order and I was getting the same from both squares.

The point is that I hadn't been aware that it was there and I discovered it by chance. I think I will make a point of visually checking steel reference surfaces for rust from now on.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Rust, Inaccuracy and a Combination Square

Postby AndyT » 10 Apr 2022, 15:56

That's a good tip, Andy, but I will do my best to act on the subtext in your advice, and not go so fast as to work up a dangerous sweat! :D
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Andy Kev. » 10 Apr 2022, 17:10

That made me grin.

Incidentally, I thought of you the other day when I saw this:

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collection ... ior-102558

I was thinking of getting half a dozen. Would you like me to put you down for one? :D
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 10 Apr 2022, 17:18

Andy Kev. wrote:That made me grin.

Incidentally, I thought of you the other day when I saw this:

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collection ... ior-102558

I was thinking of getting half a dozen. Would you like me to put you down for one? :D

Go on then, that's very nice of you - I've got a birthday this year!! :D
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Rezi » 10 Apr 2022, 17:21

Your obviously working too hard! Are you having enough tea breaks?
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Return to Hand Toolery