It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:37

Wynn Timmins Washer cutter query.

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Wynn Timmins Washer cutter query.

Postby Boringgeoff » 27 Jun 2022, 01:04

Hi all,
here I go again, looking for information. I have just been given a Wynn Timmins washer or circle cutter with a very clear Reg No 694232 and the Heart logo stamped on the shank. I have searched for this number, with no success. I think it dates from about 1922.
Wynn Timmins WC.JPG
(343.95 KiB)

I will appreciate any help you can give me.
Cheers,
Geoff.
Boringgeoff
Seedling

Name:

Re: Wynn Timmins Washer cutter query.

Postby Lons » 27 Jun 2022, 08:47

I've just googled it Geoff and there are a few images around so there must be history somewhere out there.
e.g.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1774836470

Wynn & Timmins
NATIONALITY: British
BASED: Birmingham, Borough of Birmingham, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Tool manufacturer from Birmingham who were active from 1908 to 1922.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Lons » 27 Jun 2022, 08:56

This is just a few minutes on the internet Geoff as I'm on my way out, I'm sure Andy can shed some light on the company and your cutter.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Wynn,_Timmins_and_Co

https://archive.org/details/wynn-timmin ... No%201554/

The original company, W. & C. Wynn & Co., had made small steel items including shoe and knee buckles, fire-steels, key rings, netting vices, steel snuffboxes, steel pencil cases, tweezers, bodkins, and so on. They then moved on to the production of light tools. They celebrated their centenary in 1887, naming their relatively new premises "Century Works." The same year, they took over R. Timmins & Sons. According to Grace's Guide, they were acquired in 1969 by Balfour and Darwins, and the Birmingham factory was shuttered. Arthur Balfour had merged with the Darwins Group in 1961. That combined company was metal making firm, so it's hard to say what they intended to do with an old tool-making firm like Wynn, Timmins & Co. Apparently nothing. Sell's National Directory of Large Commercial Houses and Buyers' Guide. London: Business Dictionaries Ltd., 1920.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby AndyT » 27 Jun 2022, 09:16

It looks a pretty standard design to me. A central pivot point and two adjustable cutters to cut the rim and a central hole. If you want to see what the original design registration said, the place to start is

https://www.registered-design.service.gov.uk/find/

However, searching for that number doesn't bring up a result. I'm not certain but I think that the work of digitising historic design registrations has never been completed and is not likely to be done. (Some of the old designs, eg for fabrics, are fragile boxes full of actual samples, so not cheap or easy to process.)

And I don't think it's worth a trip to the National Archives in Kew just for this one!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Jun 2022, 10:52

Looks like a tank cutter to me, I had a more modern one once but I don’t think I ever actually used it to cut a hole in a tank lol.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby droogs » 27 Jun 2022, 12:27

Cabinetman wrote:Looks like a tank cutter to me, I had a more modern one once but I don’t think I ever actually used it to cut a hole in a tank lol.

P'raps Boris can send a load to Ukraine, might be useful
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Boringgeoff » 28 Jun 2022, 01:11

Thanks for your comments. I've got a few washer cutters, various brands, but this is the first Wynn & Timmins with the Registered number on it and I thought I'd have no trouble tracking it down. Yes Andy, it is a very common standard design and interesting to see what would be unique enough about it to warrant a registration.
If I lived near Kew I'd happily take the bus down twice a week and spend the day searching through the archives.

Cheers,
Geoff.
Boringgeoff
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 28 Jun 2022, 08:12

droogs wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:Looks like a tank cutter to me, I had a more modern one once but I don’t think I ever actually used it to cut a hole in a tank lol.

P'raps Boris can send a load to Ukraine, might be useful

They're probably long since on the ancilliaries list for Ukrainain tractors. :D
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery