It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:37

Narex or Sorby

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Re: Narex or Sorby

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Jul 2022, 11:57

AJB Temple wrote:To be fair to me Rob :lol: I have never had a ccc chisel. The Footprints are British I think and made in the 1960s. The LN ones are US. Practically everything else I have bought as WWII Wards etc, or from members on UKW (where most of the Japanese set came from I think) or here. Plus a couple of trial gifts from tool suppliers. I do think it is fair to say that someone who knows how to sharpen can get good work out of most chisels, but I do accept that if the steel is very soft or chippy then that may not apply.

The LN steel is really good and I get a very keen edge. But socket chisels can be a bit of a pain with the blade disengaging from the handle. As it happens I have a 3/8" mortice chisel from both Sorby (red handle) and Narex (octagonal wood handle of some sort - but not a premium wood) and of those two the Sorby sharpens better and holds it's edge better. I almost never use the Narex, as I dislike the feel of the far too chunky handle.

The one's that Mike sent to me were a general selection of those available at the budget end (so Chinese made and for disposable, knockabout trade use) as well as much better made German, Swedish and New World offerings. The original Footprints (red plastic handle I recollect?) were Sheffield made and on a par with the early black handled Stanley ones and the blue handled Marples, one of which I have in my DIY toolbox as a 'house' chisel.
If you ever have the misfortune to come across a real gem of a cCc chisel, there's very little you can do with it apart from spreading butter on your toast! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 29 Jul 2022, 12:28

Not much help in answering the original question but if we're onto Footprints I rather like these. Some of the yellow paint has come off the beech wood handles but the sizing and balance are good.

IMG_20220729_121906951.jpg
(261.37 KiB)

As it happens, I also have the box they were posted to the original owner in. It's postmarked October 1974. I think they were a promotional offer from the Woodworker.

You can see that they were drop forged then finished on a rotary grinder, which would have been more economical than older hand methods, but the Sheffield steel was being made in a predictable, reliable way then.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby johnward » 29 Jul 2022, 15:15

IMG_2805.JPG
(326.95 KiB)

I manage with 2 sets of Sheffield Marples plus a few odds and ends. I don't think I'll be upgrading them.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 29 Jul 2022, 20:13

Nice old Footprints Andy. Mine are the bevelled variety with red handles. They have withstood a lot of abuse.

I was given my toolkit by my dad aged 8. (Me, not him :lol: ). Some toerag quite recently stole my very nice level with my name on in with an engraved brass plate. But I still have the tenon saw, fold out wooden rule, Stanley No 4 plane, hand drill, chisels, hammer, steel rule, nail pulling pliers and a little portable vice. All of them are still used. Oh, and an oil stone and box.

I also have his old Sandvik handsaw and it's still fine.

It is interesting that in those days it was fine for a kid to have proper, sharp, adult tools. These days I suspect many parents would throw up their hands in horror. I can't recall ever having an accident, and I made a lot of stuff as a kid.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 29 Jul 2022, 20:38

Actually, looking at yours Andy, mine are much better finished than this. However, my father was an engineer and had access to precision kit at the time (he was in the design shop for the Coventry Climax engines for the Lotus Climax racing team) and for all I know he might have refined them. do know he valued good quality tools and looked after them.

I went through a phase where I thought modern stuff must be better, which is probably why I bought the Lie Nielson chisels (which are excellent). However, these days I think we made some really good quality stuff back in the day in the UK and I would be very happy with old top quality Sheffield steel. My uncle gave me a set of 8 old Stanley made chisels for cabinet making, branded Everlasting. Long blade and short handles. These are boxed and he never used them except for one, which was used by his brother for opening paint tins (they were painters and decorators mainly).

If I were in the market now, in the absence of Blue Spruce money :shock: , I would be sourcing second hand.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jul 2022, 08:49

AJB Temple wrote:I also have his old Sandvik handsaw and it's still fine.

Thee and me! When my granddad died in the early 90's I asked if I could have his old Sandvik saw (dating from the 60's with a red plastic handle) which I still have and hangs in the 'shop - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 03 Aug 2022, 17:44

Just continuing the digression into red handled Footprints, I spotted these while window shopping early this morning

IMG_20220803_090838641.jpg
(310.81 KiB)

They're out there!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Aug 2022, 18:26

My new Sorby chisels have arrived, haven’t had chance to play with them yet look good, but the smallest one the quarter has a small split in the handle from the ferrule about an inch long with the grain, not sure if I can be fussed to return it or all of them. What do you think, will it get worse?
I think it may have happened as it was left in the post box by the drive in 90° heat for a day whilst I was away.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Previous

Return to Hand Toolery