It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:53

Oh dear, plagerism....

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Oh dear, plagerism....

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 11 Aug 2022, 11:45

https://www.youtube.com/c/jisakukobo/videos

Last three videos posted?

I like this bloke; but he's sailing VERY close to the copyright wind. Can't imagine John Economaki is chuffed.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Re: Oh dear, plagerism....

Postby droogs » 11 Aug 2022, 15:59

I don't think he would be that bothered as the people who copy JSKs plans could never afford BC kit anyway
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Peter F. » 11 Aug 2022, 23:44

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jisakukobo/videos

Last three videos posted?

I like this bloke; but he's sailing VERY close to the copyright wind. Can't imagine John Economaki is chuffed.

I know John Economaki very well - he's a good friend. He's mostly given up worrying about patents and copyrights on his tools - it's the problem of the new owners of Bridge City Tool Works - Harvey Industries - now. The patent/copyright laws are different in China and Korea - it's pretty common to exactly duplicate someone's design and sell it as your own.

I've had long discussions with John about the "I could make that cheaper myself" attitude of a lot of people to BCTW tools. John's response is generally - "Be my guest. Here are the measured drawings." Once people see the time and materials that go into something as simple as a square or a KerfMaker, it becomes a little more clear that the tools really aren't that expensive...
Peter F.
Seedling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 12 Aug 2022, 09:25

The patent/copyright laws are different in China and Korea - it's pretty common to exactly duplicate someone's design and sell it as your own.

That explains it; thanks Peter.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Lurker » 12 Aug 2022, 10:34

Stealing people’s intellectual property is what China does.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 12 Aug 2022, 11:29

Though China of course has an entirely different view.

We have a tendency in the UK or the west generally to project our views, morals and principles onto the rest of the world. This is completely illogical as there is no reason why distant lands should agree with or share our values and culture. I learnt this many years ago working as a consultant for a major British plc doing a fraud investigation (in their eyes) relating to their factories in Argentina and Brazil. They had simply failed to understand that the locals did not share their views of proper business practices at all :lol:

If the west decides to place intellectual property for manufacture in a far jurisdiction, then the IP owners should not be surprised if it is blatantly copied. That is part of the price of transferring jobs out of the UK and US into China, so that companies can save labour costs and make more money for shareholders. This happens even though the "west" knows perfectly well that it is using cheap labour in a communist state. It is surely applying double standards morally to complain about so called IP theft when on the other hand we are aware that the foreign workers are paid subsistence wages and are under state control.

Most of us buy tools and consumer goods from Amazon etc and turn a blind eye to all this in favour of low prices. We can't have it both ways. Copying is the way human kind has always progressed. Good job the wheel inventor did not patent his slice of log.

Just providing a contrary view, not finger pointing at anyone 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 12 Aug 2022, 15:41

AJB Temple wrote:Though China of course has an entirely different view.

We have a tendency in the UK or the west generally to project our views, morals and principles onto the rest of the world. This is completely illogical as there is no reason why distant lands should agree with or share our values and culture. I learnt this many years ago working as a consultant for a major British plc doing a fraud investigation (in their eyes) relating to their factories in Argentina and Brazil. They had simply failed to understand that the locals did not share their views of proper business practices at all :lol:

If the west decides to place intellectual property for manufacture in a far jurisdiction, then the IP owners should not be surprised if it is blatantly copied. That is part of the price of transferring jobs out of the UK and US into China, so that companies can save labour costs and make more money for shareholders. This happens even though the "west" knows perfectly well that it is using cheap labour in a communist state. It is surely applying double standards morally to complain about so called IP theft when on the other hand we are aware that the foreign workers are paid subsistence wages and are under state control.

Most of us buy tools and consumer goods from Amazon etc and turn a blind eye to all this in favour of low prices. We can't have it both ways. Copying is the way human kind has always progressed. Good job the wheel inventor did not patent his slice of log.

Just providing a contrary view, not finger pointing at anyone 8-)

:eusa-clap: Exactly that.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Phil Pascoe » 12 Aug 2022, 21:38

Dr. David Starkey summed it up neatly one day not long ago : we tend to think the Russians and the Chinese think like we think - they don't.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby RogerS » 12 Aug 2022, 22:04

Phil Pascoe wrote:Dr. David Starkey summed it up neatly one day not long ago : we tend to think the Russians and the Chinese think like we think - they don't.

No, they don't. Morality and compassion are not in their dictionary or comprehension. I prefer our mores.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 12 Aug 2022, 22:17

RogerS wrote:
Phil Pascoe wrote:Dr. David Starkey summed it up neatly one day not long ago : we tend to think the Russians and the Chinese think like we think - they don't.

No, they don't. Morality and compassion are not in their dictionary or comprehension. I prefer our mores.

:text-+1:
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Lurker » 13 Aug 2022, 07:24

Spot on Adrian.
Only now, is the penny dropping with our civil servants and politicians.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2022, 07:33

Lurker wrote:Spot on Adrian.

And manufacturers, surely ? After all..they are the ones outsourcing to China for cheaper labour.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 13 Aug 2022, 08:25

RogerS wrote:
And manufacturers, surely ? After all..they are the ones outsourcing to China for cheaper labour.

I think it’s a really tough question for manufacturers as to how to break out of it. The early movers in bringing manufacturing back onshore need to believe the “not made in China” danger will be supported by consumers being willing to pay more. That is a big gamble that may need deep pockets to cover.

We are obviously starting to face into it in the energy market though.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby ScaredyCat » 13 Aug 2022, 10:28

I don't mean to ruffle feathers but I'm not sure I understand your objections.

Every BC tool is based on some other tool that's been made for years and years. Most look identical.

There's a lot that's obvious with the JMP - linear rails and bearings are probably the most common modern method for the a sliding carriage and how else would you think of altering the angle of the blade, other than using the same sort of feature as every table saw out there. Other than the height of the thing, which I suspect is due to comfort and you'd establish quite quickly.

Maybe you're all too close to this to be 100% objective? All seems rather harsh. This guy clearly makes loads of his tools, this is just another one.

In addition, are you all seriously suggesting you've never copied the look of something you've seen?
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby ScaredyCat » 13 Aug 2022, 10:34

Lurker wrote:Stealing people’s intellectual property is what China does.

He's Japanese.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Lurker » 13 Aug 2022, 10:44

RogerS wrote:

Surely it was obvious to anyone that letting the Chinese infiltrate…
Universities
Chip manufacture
Nuclear
Steel
Telecoms

Was against the national interest.

Mind you it’s not as bad as the mess France, Germany etc got themselves into with putins gas.

When I worked in nuclear, I turned down a role in the Wylfa project because it involved getting into bed with the Chinese, I was accused of being racist. I pointed out it was actually xenophobic :D
But with good reason to be.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 13 Aug 2022, 10:49

ScaredyCat wrote:
Lurker wrote:Stealing people’s intellectual property is what China does.

He's Japanese.

Mmm
I worked for Sanyo, who did a Maxwell with my pension fund. Fortunately the government made them repay some £20 million back. My German colleagues were less fortunate.
So I’m not best placed to comment about the Japanese.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Aug 2022, 13:09

Lurker wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Surely it was obvious to anyone that letting the Chinese infiltrate…
Universities
Chip manufacture
Nuclear
Steel
Telecoms

Was against the national interest.

You're right there. As is IMO foreign ownership of our utilities.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery