It is currently 25 Jun 2022, 23:20

New Project

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Re: New Project

Postby CHJ » 18 Jun 2022, 13:21

Fantastic progress Derek, fingers crossed for the fitting of all the rods and free rolling.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
New Shoots

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Dalboy » 19 Jun 2022, 14:09

Have started the coupling rods and have marked where they go on a piece were they will eventually be machined off just there while I do the ends of each one as I need them handed.
Also the note book for some vital measurements which need to be taken from the build rather than direct from the plans(this is stated on the plans).

Just going to set the front pair on the mill to drill the holes used for reference these will then be opened up for various bushes later on

DSCF2553.JPG
(264.05 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jun 2022, 15:32

What some people are able to produce in their sheds still leaves me in awe.
Were you any sort of engineer in a previous life Derek?
cheers
Andy
Andyp
Sequoia

Name: Andy

Postby CHJ » 19 Jun 2022, 18:10

Dalboy wrote:.......
Also the note book for some vital measurements which need to be taken from the build rather than direct from the plans(this is stated on the plans).

Yes in the real world, be it full size or scaled, individual fit inevitably provides the best outcome.
Multiple Zone tolerances have a habit of biting when least expected.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
New Shoots

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Dalboy » 20 Jun 2022, 08:28

Andyp wrote:What some people are able to produce in their sheds still leaves me in awe.
Were you any sort of engineer in a previous life Derek?

Previous life before retirement I was a plant mechanic, I only had to measure in thousands of an inch then now with this I have to make lots of bits to that kind of tolerances.

I am still only learning as well as digging back to school days of trigonometry in some cases.

CHJ wrote:
Yes in the real world, be it full size or scaled, individual fit inevitably provides the best outcome.
Multiple Zone tolerances have a habit of biting when least expected.

They do say that the real world things never measures up :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 21 Jun 2022, 20:29

Started on the centre joint for the coupling rod. All the marking out lines are only there as a sanity check at which parts need cutting away I will be using the DRO for final machining

DSCF2595.JPG
(379.91 KiB)

The two rear coupling rods centre joint shaped and machined to thickness

DSCF2598.JPG
(372.57 KiB)

Still need to slot the two on the left so the ones on the right will fit inside them they will be held in place with a bronze bush. Once they are complete I will then need to do the other end followed by slimming them down both height and width

DSCF2600.JPG
(505.7 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 23 Jun 2022, 08:50

Front coupling rods now slotted. some fine turning as the cutter left the surface a little ridged I think this was because I only had a long cutter of the size I needed. Next will be to open the holes to fit a bush the one on the left needs to be a tight fit where as the right hand needs a sliding fit. Then onto test fitting and final drilling of the holes at either end once I am happy with all that all the waste material will be removed as for now it helps keep the pieces more ridged for working on

DSCF2600.JPG
(505.7 KiB)

DSCF2605.JPG
(422.67 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jun 2022, 09:40

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098