It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:48

Is this knife fixable?

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Re: Is this knife fixable?

Postby NickM » 08 May 2021, 09:41

Andyp wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:One of the best things about this forum, apart from civility, is its randomness. I post about a broken knife repair and in short order we are discussing milk. :lol:

Just make sure you don't fill the knife with butter and spread epoxy on your toast :)

That would be a terrible waste of butter and toast (I wouldn't lose too much sleep about wasting epoxy)!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Alf » 08 May 2021, 12:00

sunnybob wrote:I dont often get a chance to display my knowledge on this forum so I takes it where I finds it :eusa-dance:

10 years delivering 6000 pints a week definitely qualifies me. 8-)

(Have you ever seen green and silver striped top?)

Should we call you Ernie? ;) I recall seeing some unusual colour combos in my yoof, but green and silver eludes me. Do tell.

The old man gets through about 4 litres of whole and 4 of semi a week, milk making up a hefty proportion of his diet. We've just had an enforced change of milkman, and the sunlit uplands of Un-homogenised Gold Top are suddenly spread before him. Negotiations are ongoing about 1l of whole becoming 1pt of Channel Island milk, subject to waistline.

Woodbloke wrote:That said, it took me about three days to get used to it on my bucket of cereal (muesli, bran and extra oats) each morning.

Ooo, Rob, have you tried your muesli (with added cardboard) in the "original", as it were? Soaked in fruit juice with grated apple. No milk involved at all, and quite different.

As to the knife handle (remember that?) it's a pity it's not cutler's cement/resin, as I believe that would have been an easier repair and potentially a lot more fun (for us, anyway)! As 'tis, it's a bit of a Hail Mary and some fountain pen thinking may be creeping in here, but have you tried contacting Villeroy & Boch to see if they might be able to help with a new blade?
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 12:16

Green and silver stripes is an occasional thing, and depends entirely on the area.
Its milk that has been blessed by a Rabbi, therefore making it acceptable for people of jewish faith to drink it during their holy period, the name of which I can no longer remember.

Express dairies in London had to pay a rabbi to stand next to the bottling line saying continuous prayers in order for the striped top to be fitted. The customers had to order it three days in advance and I think it cost a penny a pint extra, at a time when the normal pint cost 7NP
There, that would have won me a million on the telly, wouldnt it? :lol: :lol:

Back to the knife.....
I dont recall seeing the metal named. Is it stainless, EPNS, or chromed iron?
As the dishwasher was mentioned I think we can assume its stainless?
i would spend time digging out the remaining powder and the rest of the tang (very time consuming though) then get a new tang welded on and replace with epoxy.

If its special to her, treat it like Triggers broom. :lol: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 May 2021, 12:31

We have no milkman or woman or milk they. I've just discovered that the Guardian has renamed fishermen "fishers".

Have not seen bottles with foil tops since I stopped seeing milk churns at the side of the road.

Shall investigate cutler's cement. The blade itself is fine (stainless) just the tang has divided. The handle is probably silver plated.

Just did a big shop and bought some Guernsey butter to check it out.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 08 May 2021, 12:37

Isn't Green/Silver stripe unpasturised whole milk direct from the cow to the bottle
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike G » 08 May 2021, 13:01

AJB Temple wrote:We have no milkman or woman or milk they. ....

If you decide to go looking, I can thoroughly recommend you completely ignore Milk 'n More. Go for a local dairy instead. M 'n M are consuming local dairies, then forcing everything online and degrading the service.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2021, 13:16

Alf wrote:
sunnybob wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:That said, it took me about three days to get used to it on my bucket of cereal (muesli, bran and extra oats) each morning.

Ooo, Rob, have you tried your muesli (with added cardboard) in the "original", as it were? Soaked in fruit juice with grated apple. No milk involved at all, and quite different.

No tuity-fruity juice Alf, but I always have a grated apple on top (even better in Sept when I can scrump the neighbour's :D ) and a chopped up Kiwi fruit. Apple with muesli is apparently the Swiss way to chomp through it (according to Mr Oliver) - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alf » 08 May 2021, 13:45

sunnybob wrote:Green and silver stripes...

Kosher, eh? Huh, I was thinking it was going to be a complicated combi of organic sterilised homogenised skimmed or summat. Learn something new every day, if you're lucky.

AJB Temple wrote:The blade itself is fine (stainless) just the tang has divided.

The tang was why I was thinking new blade, but hadn't thought of welding. Not something that comes natural to me, like.

Woodbloke wrote:Apple with muesli is apparently the Swiss way to chomp through it (according to Mr Oliver) - Rob

S'right. According to fact even- "Apfeldiätspeise" is one tongue-twisting term for it. Muesli being a Swiss invention it seems the way to go.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 14:01

droogs wrote:Isn't Green/Silver stripe unpasturised whole milk direct from the cow to the bottle

There are regional variations of colours, as I mentioned, and its now been 35 years since I last delivered a pint to a doorstep (thank the lord) so modern trends might have changed that.
not counting of course that you live in a foreign country anyway :shock: :eusa-doh:

You shouldnt put silver anything in a dishwasher you know. If its had umpteen cycles without tarnshing I suspect its pure stainless.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 May 2021, 14:24

They are not my knives.
I agree with dishwasher point but the knife owner doesn't.
I just have to fix stuff that other persons break.
We do have proper silver flatware (inherited). Never used. Along with fine lead crystal glasses and fine china, no one uses these things anymore. Dishwasher proof is the way to go.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 14:44

:text-+1:
Good grief Adrian, thats 2 posts in 5 minutes that we agree on. We must stop meeting this way. :eusa-naughty:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking