It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:04

Cutting lead for sash windows

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Cutting lead for sash windows

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Sep 2021, 19:20

I decided to have another fiddle about refining my new big sash window today. I am aiming for fingertip lightness on the sashes.

As an aside, I wish I had asked Dan about this before I started. Although the on-line advice was weigh the window sashes in situ on scales (as per my previous thread), his advice was take the sashes out and weight them separately. Lesson: listen to Dan. I learnt as I went along but it has taken time to do this job perfectly.

My in situ method gave a weight that certainly worked. However, to get fingertip lightness, with a full clean out and application of non-silicon lube, required an additional 4.22 kg on the lower sash. I was amazed, but you can now practically blow it up and down. The upper sash is the same size but needed far less lead.

Had plenty of spare lead as I bought extra just in case, having sold the load that came with the window (too damaged) and had to cut it. What a performance! There must be a better way. This was 50mm square section lead and I cut it with a large rigid frame hacksaw. It took ages. I scored all round, and turned the block regularly, and used a new blade in my old eclipse large (12" I think) hacksaw, but the cut clogged constantly and both lead and blade got quite warm. It took me almost 2 hours to cut 4 pieces neatly, file up and fit.

The factory cuts looked like a circular saw was used. Is there a method for hand cutting that I should be aware of?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Cutting lead for sash windows

Postby sunnybob » 20 Sep 2021, 20:29

Large teeth. If you used an 18 or more TPI blade, theres your problem.
A tree saw might be a better option next time 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 20 Sep 2021, 20:31

AJB Temple wrote:Lesson: listen to Dan.

AJB Temple wrote:The factory cuts looked like a circular saw was used. Is there a method for hand cutting that I should be aware of?

I tend to just use the powered mitre saw, lead won't do it any harm even if it's a new blade, just clean it up thoroughly and try to prevent lead from shooting out all over the place (ideally, do it in a cardboard box or something similar!).

I haven't tried it, but a coarse disposable handsaw for wood might've been a good option.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Sep 2021, 22:09

Ahem....I refer the Honourable Member to my post on the first page of the "Making a sash window work" . :eusa-whistle: thread.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Sep 2021, 22:31

Yes. You get credit too Roger. Sorry. Dan was just firmer in telling me to be sensible. :oops:

It's a funny thing. Ignorance is inhibiting. I knew I was ignorant but didn't want to believe the solutions were simple as they looked, to me, anything but. Now I know better, but it's a case of learning.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking