It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:25

Evolution of a tool. "me"

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Evolution of a tool. "me"

Postby phill05 » 26 Dec 2021, 13:29

A few years ago I built a manual dividing head for the milling machine and hoped that I could make similar for the lathe, In the middle of working on this I found an old cnc machine and rebuilt it to use to make parts then a year or two ago I designed and built an electronic indexing unit that could be moved between machines I found electronic parts online and started building the controller box to power a stepper motor, I needed 240v supply in and 12v - 24v - 68v out in one box that could be taken with the control box to where ever I needed to use it. So the power box was made.

Then I started on the control box I found a board ( made by Steve Ward) that would give Jog: Divide: Degree: or Constant: working around that I used a plastic box to hold a Stepper driver, the card, a fan and a keyboard, one input 24v and 68v then a step down to 12v, on the opposite side power out to motor, I designed and cut the keys/pad with the cnc the window for the screen and the cut outs for the fan at the back of the box, I connected a motor all works as it should.

controller.JPG
(160.12 KiB)
conected.jpg
(88.22 KiB)

I then moved on to the indexer, plain aluminium frame to hold a ER32 collets plain bored shaft and the stepper motor with 3 to 1 reduction for holding position.

ER 32.jpg
(132.32 KiB)

Once complete put power to box - box to stepper indexer in now working as it should be with a complete range of collets, then started thinking what if it had a 4 jaw chuck on it, so made two back plates to fit the nose thread of the ER32, one for a 125mm 4 jaw and one for a 80mm 3 jaw this now gives me many options.
Chuck fittings.jpg
(164.99 KiB)

Next I made a tailstock to suite.
Tailstock.jpg
(487.25 KiB)

I have used it in making/repairing old clock wheels and parts and in the future I want to use it to finish building a Turret clock that I started but could not take it any further at the time do to ill health.
A few months ago I came across a post on here by Dr Al that gave me the inspiration of another tool I was missing a slow rpm diamond grinding/honing plate, I had been looking online at different machines for doing it, but mostly based on a std grinder to me that was too fast, then Dr Al hit me, not in a bad way, I read his online website of the different tools he has made and I emailed him and out of the information I gleaned this was what I wanted to add to my indexer as I could have low speed.
So thanks to Dr Al this is where I started the honing plate, the disk is the same design as Al's (thank you Al) but fixed the disk to a 20mm back plate to fit in ER32 collet.

20mm fitting.jpg
(184.62 KiB)
Mags fitted.jpg
(169.81 KiB)

I was given two diamond disks 400 grit and a 2000 grit from a friend but both had different mounting holes, made a reversible centre plate that has different sized spigots this is now done and it works really well.

WIP:

I now have to decide how I want the table to be.
To be continued:

Phill
phill05
Seedling

Name:

Re: Evolution of a tool. "me"

Postby Dr.Al » 26 Dec 2021, 14:58

Wow, that indexing set-up looks awesome and the idea to add your flat plate onto that is great. I've got a DivisionMaster and a small and not-very-good-quality rotary table/dividing head thing, which I modified to add a stepper motor, but yours looks in a different league.

:text-bravo:
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby 9fingers » 26 Dec 2021, 15:02

Excellent work!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 26 Dec 2021, 15:41

Yes, very nice.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 26 Dec 2021, 15:52

Do you find that your dividing head had sufficient holding power to resist machining forces between indexing points?
Especially if your are using micro-stepping to interpolate between the 200(?) steps on the motor.
Never having tried anything like this, it has been one of the doubts in the back of my mind.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby phill05 » 26 Dec 2021, 16:28

Hello Bob,
Yes the stepper holding torque of 3Nm and a 3: to 1: reduction has not been a problem I have cut metal and wood rotary and divisional and so far no problems.

Edit: forgot to say I did pick up an electronic brake that fits on the motor shaft at the rear but I never got round to fitting it I just started using it

Phill
phill05
Seedling

Name:

Postby Peri » 26 Dec 2021, 16:56

That's brilliant.

I wish my electronics knowledge extended further than "push switch up, machine goes".
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby 9fingers » 26 Dec 2021, 17:33

phill05 wrote:Hello Bob,
Yes the stepper holding torque of 3Nm and a 3: to 1: reduction has not been a problem I have cut metal and wood rotary and divisional and so far no problems.

Edit: forgot to say I did pick up an electronic brake that fits on the motor shaft at the rear but I never got round to fitting it I just started using it

Phill

Thanks Phill. Very useful that not only is holding torque adequate but also that a supplementary brake is not needed.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jan 2022, 17:02

Brilliant! We’ll beyond my current spree of knowledge, but I can tell it’s good!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 09 Jan 2022, 23:16

Nice job Phil. I don’t know if it helps, it has me, but you can get oversize collets in ER32 up to 1”. Not cheap at £20 each but I’ve found them very handy. I have a 1” a 23mm and a 22mm. Have a look on the auction site for “Gloster ER32 collet” if it’s of interest. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby phill05 » 10 Jan 2022, 09:57

Thanks everyone It takes me a while now to make the parts but at least it keeps the old grey matter working, good call on the ER32 collets I could find a use for the 22mm and 1" will be sure to get them.

Been thinking on the table design and I am going with this for the brackets:

image_2022-01-10_084752.png
(5.61 KiB)

This will have a form of slotted table so you can say hold down a plane blade or chisel and could also be used to machine angles on the miller if needs be.

Phill
phill05
Seedling

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking