It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:32

Power line men - tree surgery in the dark

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Power line men - tree surgery in the dark

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Feb 2022, 23:32

Mrs AJB T has been without power whilst I have been in hospital this last few days. Apparently it has been a bit blowy. She fetched me home tonight and we expected one more night at least without power. In the od days this is when babies were made.

Anyway, we are driving down our pitch black lane and realise there are a bunch of vans in our driveway and at the roadside. 5 guys (none of them named Mo) were replacing overhead power lines. This included tree surgery with a couple of big chain saws, and climbing gear, at night. And making off cable joints at the top of wooden poles by climbing up them with gripper shoes and a bit of rope. They had a bucket lift too but couldn't get the van near enough.

They had our power back on 5 minutes after we got home, so we made them all tea as a reward. Then they gradually got the houses nearby back on.

I must say I was super impressed. They were doing a difficult job in the dark, and they expected to be at it all night after they finished our lane. I would not fancy taking heavy branches down high up from big trees in daylight, let alone in darkness. We have much more respect for powerline workers now having met this team and seen them in action. Not at all an easy job, especially at night, and in cold, wind and rain.

They said they will come back in daylight and check it. Top blokes.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Power line men - tree surgery in the dark

Postby Mike G » 21 Feb 2022, 23:50

Good to know you're back home, Adrian. And yes, no matter what you hear, there are plenty of people who do an honest days work (or nights work, for that matter).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 22 Feb 2022, 00:18

If they were working on live cables then the bit of rope and climbing spikes used to be considered much safer than using a ladder or cherry picker. If you should catch a belt then you slid down the pole instead of being held on the live cable.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 22 Feb 2022, 07:46

Home is the best place to be for RnR. Take it easy and slow.

Don't forget that those noodles will need a lot of flavouring ;) .
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Feb 2022, 10:15

Well Andy, it turns out that noodles are not allowed until after week 4, unless they are liquidised.

This is a very simple diet: unless its too runny to eat with a fork, it's not allowed :lol: Everything else is allowed as long as it is not fizzy, does not contain sugar or alcohol or acidic juice or tomato or caffeine.

Basically I can eat milk 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 Feb 2022, 12:59

Jeez, that’s tough Adrian.
It will be worth it though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 22 Feb 2022, 13:17

It's OK. The internal investigations have explained why I had substantial weight gain, mainly in my midriff. Correcting it will allow me to get back to normal. I have lots of internal pictures from during the op. It looks very gruesome but is also rather interesting. One interesting thing identified is that there is hardly any visceral fat around my organs. The liver was very clear. The whole thing has been a good call.

Glad to be home and in receipt of proper nursing. If anyone has ever encountered a German nurse you will know what I mean. 8-)

The power men came back this morning. I think they liked our tea. Anyway they tidied up the trees a bit and fixed some stringers to the wires. It's much better than it was before, with thicker cable that appears to be insulated this time, instead of the two twisted copper cables that were there before.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking