It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:52

HDMI/USB memory stick/flashdrives etc advice needed

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

HDMI/USB memory stick/flashdrives etc advice needed

Postby tracerman » 10 Apr 2022, 11:51

I currently have a digital projector , the InFocus IN 114XA . I am using it to take an image from the internet , or my own photos , via an HDMI cable , to the projector , and thence to use the projected image onto a suface to get the basic drawing . So I am turning a photo image into a painting . Simples . My problem is I would prefer , when necessary , to put the chosen photo onto a stick and plug that into the projector . There are only 2 HDMI ( female) sockets on the projector so is it possible to use a memory stick/flashdrive/phptostick with a converter ? . There is no USB socket . Or is there such a thing as an HDMI photo/or other stick which I could plug straight in ? . There are numerous sites on the internet but with so much info my brain hurts .

If anyone can clarify this it would be appreciated .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: HDMI/USB memory stick/flashdrives etc advice needed

Postby Hawkeyefxr » 10 Apr 2022, 12:25

There are multi port adapters, see link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Alumini ... 1323733232

Everything but the kitchen sink goes into this. Can't get my head around what your asking so don't know if it will work for you.
Hawkeyefxr
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 10 Apr 2022, 13:05

A projector or TV expects a HDMI input from a media player device so I'd be looking for something that is capable of playing things to a TV (or projector). If it had its own operating system it would have USB sockets on the projector.

I use a couple of google TV with chromecast devices with TV's because they work so much better than the TV apps. They run Android TV and you can install all sorts of apps to show your pictures.

They are about £50. I don't use any amazon devices but I'd expect the firestick to have a way of doing it and it is cheaper.

Obviously if you have a laptop with hdmi out just use that.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 10 Apr 2022, 13:10

I suspect your projector is only designed to take serial HDMI data stream whereas the USB stick is designed to hold a directory of files in a fairly dumb way and need intelligence eg your laptop in the middle to create a serial data stream.
If your project were smart enough to do that by itself then surely they would have supplied it with a USB capability.

Scouring the internet and the documentation for your specific projector might turn up a solution but I think your will need more than a physical dumb adaptor.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 10 Apr 2022, 14:03

Afterthought...

What do you plug in to the projector to use it now? If it is a DVD player then the player may have USB and be capable of displaying pictures from a thumb drive.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2022, 14:11

Hmm. Trying some lateral thinking.

I'm exhibiting my ukuleles and guitars at the Bristol Guitar Show in a couple of weeks as a hobbyist luthier.

I've created slideshows of the different stages of construction of an instrument. I'll have an HD monitor on my stand and will have the mpg files on my iPad.

I then use the HDMI lead from the iPad to the monitor.

I don't think the projector, like my monitor, could play something from a usb file. Of course, I don't need the iPad, I could connect my iPhone and play the files via the HDMI lead.

Do the projectors operate on bluetooth?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby tracerman » 10 Apr 2022, 14:34

Thanks people for your thought thus far - I omitted to mention that I am taking images ( or my own photos ) from my PC , via an HDMI cable , to the projector , but I wondered whether I could skip the cable and have the images in a stick capable of plugging straight into the projector . .
The PC is upstairs in bedroom 3 / The Office / general dumping ground . I usually run the HDMI cable down the stairs into the living room , or even , with a cable extension ( total 12 metres - and it works ) into the kitchen diner to get the right focal length depending on size of painting required . This is sometimes a problem , if I could the reach the garage ( I can but its a faff ) it would probably be OK but only in warm weather . Her Indoors has a laptop , maybe I could send my images from that to the projector .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Apr 2022, 14:41

Can you copy the images to your mobile phone and connect that to your projector with an HDMI lead?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby tracerman » 10 Apr 2022, 14:54

Malc - I dont have a smart phone , its a little clockwork Doro so probably not . I suspect that my projector is just a little too old or " previous generation " . I will consider my options , many thanks for all your comments.
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby spb » 10 Apr 2022, 15:54

There are any number of possible things that could be rigged up to do what you suggest, but honestly if there's a laptop available to use then that'll be by far the simplest solution. I'd probably suggest that even if you didn't have a laptop available, then the cost of buying an old second hand one would probably be less than the time/effort spent fiddling around with any of the alternatives.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking