It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:41

Oh no, I've turned into Steptoe!!

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Oh no, I've turned into Steptoe!!

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 09:43

OK, what would you have done?

I was taking the Outlaws for a day out during their visit from Germany, esteemed land of my wife's birth, and we were at Chiddingstone castle (which is dull apart from the orangery roof). Round the back was a skip. And in it, on the top were 13 of these:

IMG_3004.JPG
(320.28 KiB)

These are the first three where I just snipped the wire off. All had manky wire attached. Some new looking, some weathered. All German made and all with cast aluminium backs. Plus a box of unused brand new bulbs, plus a 50m roll of Doncaster twin and earth 1.5mm, brand new (old box but you get my drift) and unused - just slung on the skip. I asked the nearest person if it was OK to have them out of the skip. The builders couldn't care less. So they came home. I am not phased by electrical stuff :lol:

Obviously I don't actually need 13 bulkhead lights. And no one can afford electrickery any more. But I increasingly find it hard to see such senseless waste. Would you have done the skip dive of left them?

(My in-laws think I am strange :? )
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Oh no, I've turned into Steptoe!!

Postby novocaine » 26 May 2022, 09:49

they would have come home with me, I am not afraid of a bit of skip diving and get rather fed up of the throw away society that we have become. :(
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2022, 10:08

’AROLD!
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby droogs » 26 May 2022, 10:20

defo would have put on the wetsuit as I currently need 1 of those bulbs for my wksp :lol:
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 10:54

Andy!!

What I found bizarre was chucking away the unused T&E. There was half a reel of 2.5mm as well and about 20 m of 4 core 25mm armoured that my father in law found a bit heavy to carry, but he managed. :lol: Also a big roll of galv fence tensioning wire (I think it is).

There was a lot more stuff, but with only three assistants and all in nice clothes, I was limited to how much I could get.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 May 2022, 12:42

Oooooooh, if you don't need them all I wonder how much postage would be to get 2 to me... They're exactly the kind of thing I've been looking at for the outside of my horsebox bar conversion... :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 12:47

I would think they are a bit light duty for that Mark. I do have some that might look super cool that came out of a submarine if you are keen on the industrial look.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 26 May 2022, 12:56

AJB Temple wrote:I would think they are a bit light duty for that Mark. I do have some that might look super cool that came out of a submarine if you are keen on the industrial look.

If you are sending two up to Mark, let me know, I might be interested in 1 too. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 26 May 2022, 13:12

Nice find, I agree we are a throw away society. I am just the same the wife hates it if I am near a skip.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 26 May 2022, 13:19

I'd have been very tempted as well. Isn't that sort of "industrial chic" still fashionable?

You could just sell them on as they are, use them yourself or design your own lighting range.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 May 2022, 13:20

AJB Temple wrote:I would think they are a bit light duty for that Mark. I do have some that might look super cool that came out of a submarine if you are keen on the industrial look.

Oooooh yes very interested. The new ones I've been looking at come in at around £75 each...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Cabinetman » 26 May 2022, 13:23

I would put that in the category of criminal waste so well done! A few years ago guy I was talking to told me about skip loads of perfectly good fluorescent tubes and fittings all replaced at the hospital because it was nearly end of year time and they have the money to spend and wouldn’t get the money again the next year if they didn’t spend it this year which I have always considered to be absolutely barking mad economics.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 22:27

Mark, I will send a picture of the ex submarine ones when I get chance. They are not free though and they are both big and very robust. I suspect they might be waterproof....

I bought them from a naval scrapper, to use, but since then I got quite a lot more industrial ones that are not as good but prettier.

The big lights over my kitchen work surface came out of Gaydon aircraft hanger. They were being skipped (these are original top quality holophane) and a guy saved them and I bought them from him. I love old lights so I have a bit of a stock of them. Most require a bit of work: mostly new fittings that take LED bulbs and new wire ingress grommets.

BTW guys - I did not start this thread in an effort to get rid of my stuff!
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking