It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:06

Developement of the Wadkin RB Surface Planer.

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Developement of the Wadkin RB Surface Planer.

Postby Vann » 21 Jan 2021, 09:08

The purpose of this thread is to document the development of Wadkin's RB 9" surface planers.

But first a little background:
To the best of my knowledge, the first Wadkin and Co. 9" surface planer was the RC. It came in various widths: 9", 12", 16" and 22". I've not seen a 9" RC, but a few 12" or larger models have shown up on the internet over the past several years.

RC 376.jpg
RC 376 (New Plymouth, New Zealand)
(309.66 KiB)

I assume the 9" RC is simply a narrower version of the above.

There was a KT surface planer before the RC but I don't have any information on it, and don't know if there was a 9" wide option. It was very similar to the RC and I suspect it is the same machine, reclassified.

RC2.jpg
KT or RC catalogue pages.
(785.29 KiB)
RC3.jpg
(1022.03 KiB)

I don't know when the RC was first manufactured, but it was still in pamphlets and catalogues up to 1928.

The first RB surface planers were made in 1926, but didn't make it into catalogues until late 1928. Presumably this was to ensure the last of the old model sold, while allowing the company to build up stocks of the new model.

The RB only came in a 9" version (the replacement for the 12" and 16" RC was the 12" and 16" RD) - but it did come in two lengths.

The last RB's were made (or at least last Tested) in 1954, and the model was replaced that year by the 9" RV surface planer (another model that came in only a 9" width). The RV was short lived, a victim of the merger/takeover/buyout of the Bursgreen-Sagar conglomerate. I haven't found it for a while, but I believe it was Scrit who wrote of the situation when after Wadkin merged with Sagar-Bursgreen they ended up with three models of 8"/9" surface planer - all of which were replaced within a year or two by the Wadkin-Bursgreen BFT.

Enough for now (more to come in a day or two).

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

My Interest in the Wadkin RB.

Postby Vann » 21 Jan 2021, 11:49

How did I become interested in the RB? I have a Makita 2030 thicknesser, with a 6" surface planer attachment that fits on the side. It has sheetmetal surfaces and is a PITA to put on and take off and store. and I wanted something more solid (like the machines I'd used during my apprenticeship).

The following is an adaption of posts I made on the Australian forum back in March 2017:

Space is limited in my garage come workshop. A Wadkin RD or RZ, with their 6’ tables, although very nice machines, are just too big. So I decided the next size down – an RB or RV (9” wide & 5’ long tables) would be about as big as I can manage, and an RB became my quest machine.

RB 51.jpg
Pikkie stolen from a post on the Canadian forum by Melbourne Matty.
(560.97 KiB)

So I was delighted when one showed up on Trademe (New Zealand's ebay). Unfortunately the auction finish clashed with work. I put on a token bid – that was soon passed. A second token bid just before work (just to test the waters) showed an auto-bid in place. Then during my meal break, I put on a serious bid – a round figure, plus 5 cents. Huh, for two hours I was the lead bidder by that 5 cents.

I was on a train home when the auction finished. I’m not much good with a smart phone (the damned thing is smarter than me ), but I managed to figure out how to follow the auction on my phone. I was soon outbid, but I figured out how to place a bid. Outbid again and another bid from me, Outbid again but I thought I might be wearing down the other bidder – when we went into a tunnel and I lost the connection.

By the time we emerged and I re-established a connection, the auction had ended – I’d lost ! Curses.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

An Oddity?

Postby Vann » 21 Jan 2021, 12:12

That RB was unusual. It is missing it’s base stand; the main casting is different, and it has a fence that slides in a dovetail groove (a bit like the rip fence on my Wadkin PK saw) in the infeed table. There's a distinct arch at the bottom of the main casting; and the table adjustment handles are machined and knurled (like the knobs on the earliest PK saws).

RB 52.jpg
(969.75 KiB)
RB 53.jpg
(1.11 MiB)
RB 59.jpg
(932.85 KiB)

Okay, so some PO had damaged the original stand (or something) and had to make a replacement. Or not?

The buzzer is RB 117 (test 4375) a pre-1937 machine. As most Wadkin serial numbers start at 105, then this is only the 13th RB made.

RB 117 NZ.jpg
(362.74 KiB)

Going through the records of the machines in the pattern shop that my Preston bandsaw came from, there was an RB in the shop - RB 109 (test 4359) - making it the 5th RB ever built. It's interesting that it is described as "Planer, Bench Type". Does this mean that some early Wadkin RBs were supplied without bases?

RB 117 had been converted to single phase, but the seller had retained the original motor and a few other pieces.

RB 54.jpg
(1.34 MiB)

There are a few pieces in the picture that just did not fit my understanding of RB parts. Of interest is the gear case and gear wheel. Assuming these are original (and the gear case looks to be professionally made and to have Wadkin-type pattern numbers visible) then the motor would have had to be mounted much closer to the cutterhead than a stand-mounted motor would allow.

The record for RB 109 states it was scrapped in 1987 upon the closure of the pattern shop.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Another Oddity.

Postby Vann » 21 Jan 2021, 12:46

In May, 2017, I had a holiday in the South Island (and had a rough crossing of Cook Strait on the way back ).

At the Ferrymead Historic Park in Christchurch I came across another Wadkin RB.

RB 113a.jpg
(541.48 KiB)
RB 117t.jpg
RB 113, test 4367, pre-1937.
(387.54 KiB)

Vann wrote:...It's interesting that it is described as "Planer, Bench Type". Does this mean that some early Wadkin RBs were supplied without bases?...

It sure looks like it. This one certainly is "Bench Type".

RB 113b.jpg
(463.92 KiB)
RB 113c.jpg
(428.8 KiB)
RB 113d.jpg
(448.84 KiB)
RB 113e.jpg
(549.1 KiB)

Vann wrote:...but the seller had retained the original motor and a few other pieces.

RB 54.jpg
(1.34 MiB)

The motor bracket in the picture is different to those fitted to later RBs. But of interest is the gear case and gear wheel...
Looking more closely at that last picture you can see the motor shelf and how it bolts onto the back of the main casting; the gearbox; and of course the motor itself.

RB 113g.jpg
(314.72 KiB)

The motor is rated at 1½ hp, whereas later Wadkin RB buzzers have 2 hp motors.

RB 113mt.jpg
(512.83 KiB)

This machine is not an exhibit, it's used in the restoration of rolling stock at the Ferrymead Railway (located in the Park).

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Another Oddity.

Postby Vann » 22 Jan 2021, 08:23

Vann wrote:In May, 2017, I had a holiday in the South Island...

While there, visiting my brother in Dunedin, I called in at the pattern shop of Bradken, an Australian firm who purchased the Foundry and Pattern Shop when KiwiRail closed the Hillside Railway Workshops in 2013. I asked if I could have a look around, and oohed and aahed at the old woodworking machinery there.

A couple of days later the Pattern Shop foreman emailed me some photos of other machinery they'd sold when Bradken merged their previous pattern shop with the Hillside one. A Wadkin PK, a Robinson recessor, and a Wadkin bandsaw. Also a Wadkin surface planer that had failed to sell and was now sitting outside in all weathers - was I interested in it?

RB 121.jpg.jpg
(265.59 KiB)
RB 122.jpg.jpg
(449.68 KiB)

Was I interested!! I made an offer and it was mine.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Developement of the Wadkin RB Surface Planer.

Postby MattS » 22 Jan 2021, 16:02

That is one rusty planer! Have you completed the restoration yet? Have you got more pictures to come? Enjoyed reading the history.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Vann » 22 Jan 2021, 17:19

MattS wrote:That is one rusty planer...

Yes. But it's not too bad.

MattS wrote:...Have you completed the restoration yet?...

No. :oops: :oops:

MattS wrote:...Have you got more pictures to come?...

Yes, lots.

MattS wrote:...Enjoyed reading the history.

Good, 'cause there's heaps more to come :D

But I was intending to make this thread more about Wadkin RBs in general, than mine specifically.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Robert » 23 Jan 2021, 00:08

Do please keep it going :)

I've no interest in owning a lump of well engineered old cast iron but happy to read all about them and look at pictures.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

What Have We Got So Far?

Postby Vann » 23 Jan 2021, 01:54

Okay. So by this time (still 2017) I'd found (or found reference to) four "odd" Wadkin RBs:
RB 109, test 4359;
RB 113, test 4367;
RB 116, test 4374; and
RB 117, test 4375.

One thing they all had in common was they were in New Zealand.
Three, RB 109, RB 113 and RB 116 had come from New Zealand Railways (now KiwiRail).
Three, RB 113, RB 116 and RB 117 had non-Wadkin cutter guards - similar to the "Surty" guards often spoken about on American forums - something all New Zealand Railways surface planers were fitted with (someone must have lost a enough fingers to cause railways management to mandate these).

So chances were that all four had come from New Zealand Railways workshops.

So putting aside the development of these for a bit, at that point my efforts went in a number of directions: restoration of the one I'd bought; searching the web and particularly forums for photos of RB restorations so as to pick up other variations; and I carried out some research into railway workshops.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Research.

Postby Vann » 23 Jan 2021, 02:36

During the second half of the 1920s New Zealand Railways embarked on a major reorganisation of their mechanical workshops. The four major workshops (small by UK comparison no doubt) were rebuilt - either on their original sites (Addington in Christchurch, and Hillside in Dunedin) or completely rebuilt at new sites (Otahuhu in Auckland, and Hutt in Wellington). I speculated that these early Wadkin RBs may relate to that period.

In order to try to confirm my theory, I spent a lot of time going through official government records relating to the re-equipping of these workshops, located at Archives NZ in Mulgrave Street, Wellington. The files I found are in regard to Workshops Machinery (for anyone wishing to verify or follow up this research, the files are NZR files 1916/1666 – and the best information I’ve found so far is in part 2 (1924-27) & part 3 (1927-31). These files are at a high level and mostly consist of communications between the Chief Mechanical Engineer, the Secretary of the Railway Board, and the Minister of Railways office – so there is plenty of interesting detail missing.

During the second half of 1925 the railway requested tenders for specifications 3 to 60 for the supply of mostly metalworking machinery. These tenders closed on 15 January 1926. Later in 1925 they requested tenders for specifications 61 to 99. Several of these specifications were for woodworking machinery. Then on 2nd September, 1925, they added a late specification, No.101, for the supply of 12 Bench Planers - High Speed. For some reason the Prime Minister specifically requested that The Luton Tool Company (Luton, UK) be asked to tender.

RB 1666a.jpg
This appears to have been signed by the New Zealand Prime Minister :shock:
(220.86 KiB)
These tenders closed on 15th February 1926, and the tender for Specification 101 for 12 Bench Planers - High Speed was won by Wadkin & Coy. With the exception of 1 further Bench Planer (ordered in September 1928) Wadkin did not win any other orders for planers.

Other orders for Machines, planning & jointing (spec. 247) went to Preston, while most orders for combined planers and thicknessers went to Thos. Robinson.

So I conclude that the 12 Bench Planers - High Speed supplied by Wadkin would have all been the same model.

And with the knowledge that Hutt, Addington and Hillside workshops each had at least one RB that date back to around that period – I felt it was likely that the 12 (yes twelve) buzzers Wadkin & Co. supplied to NZ Railways at that time were all RBs.

A summary of winning tenders was published in July, 1926.

RB 1666c.jpg
(240.64 KiB)
RB 1666b.jpg
2nd to last listing on this page.
(251 KiB)
I couldn’t find any further correspondence advising when the RB buzzers arrived. My Preston bandsaw was installed at Hutt workshops in February, 1929, so it would not be unreasonable to expect that the Wadkin buzzers were to hand about the same period. This suggested that Wadkin were producing the RB buzzer from around 1926-28.

However a further document dated 17th September, 1930, summarises all new machinery received.

RB 1666d.jpg
(227.62 KiB)
Included is that the 12 Bench Planers - High Speed were shipped as follows:
- 3 to Auckland (nearest port to Otahuhu workshops) – value £176 6s 9d;
- 3 to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £176 6s 9d;
- 3 to Lyttleton (nearest port to Addington workshops) – value £176 6s 5d;
- 3 to Port Chalmers (nearest port to Hillside workshops) – value £176 6s 5d.
an average value of £58 15s 6d each.

The thirteenth planer supplied by Wadkin went to Wellington and had a value of £59 3s 3d. With the value being so similar to the previous 12, it's likely that this machine is also an RB.

Anyways - for the tender from Wadkin & Coy. to have arrived in New Zealand by 15th February, 1926, it would have had to have been in the post by about 1st January, 1926 (there was some correspondence about 6 weeks being required for mail in each direction). This means that Wadkin's RB planer must have been ready to go, at least in concept (if not already in production) by the end of 1925.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Research - WR 6064.

Postby Vann » 23 Jan 2021, 03:00

While stripping down my own RB, I found this cast tag on one side.

RB 236.jpg
(243.83 KiB)
"WR 6064" - I've been trying to figure out what it means/meant?

Vann wrote:...These tenders closed on 15th February 1926, and the tender for Specification 101 for 12 Bench Planers - High Speed was won by Wadkin & Coy. With the exception of 1 further Bench Planer (ordered in September 1928) Wadkin did not win any other orders for planers...

And with the knowledge that Hutt, Addington and Hillside workshops each had at least one RB that date back to around that period – I also conclude that the 12 buzzers Wadkin supplied to NZ Railways at that time were all RBs...

In doing this research, conclusions are all very well, but I prefer actual evidence. I believe I've finally found proof that these RBs, and the twelve machines supplied in the 1926-30 period, really are the same machines (i.e. that it's not just a coincidence).

Vann wrote:...A further document dated 17th September, 1930, summarises all new machinery supplied.

RB 1666d.jpg
(227.62 KiB)
Included is that the 12 Bench Planers - High Speed were shipped as follows:
- 3 to Auckland (nearest port to Otahuhu workshops) – value £176 6s 9d;
- 3 to Wellington (nearest port to Hutt workshops) – value £176 6s 9d;
- 3 to Lyttleton (nearest port to Addington workshops) – value £176 6s 5d;
- 3 to Port Chalmers (nearest port to Hillside workshops) – value £176 6s 5d.
an average value of £58 15s 6d each...

The penny finally dropped: taking a closer look at this document of 17th September, 1930, you can see that the Order No. for the 12 "Bench Planers H.S." was "W.R. 6064" - same as the "WR 6064" on the tag screwed on mine.

RB 237.jpg
(51.8 KiB)
I think that pretty much confirms that my Wadkin RB 116, along with RB 109 and RB 113, are from the batch of 12 - and therefore confirms that these (and by association RB 117) are indeed the machines ordered in 1926 and delivered by 1930.

Edit: Kindly note that here in New Zealand (& Aus.) surface planers are commonly referred to as buzzers (and I keep forgetting to change the vernacular for this British forum).

Cheers, Vann.
Last edited by Vann on 20 Mar 2021, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 23 Jan 2021, 13:55

Enjoying the thread Vann! Very interesting history behind your machine, I wonder what the "614" painted on the side is about, an identification number for items within the railyard? :eusa-think:

I've got a couple of Wadkin catalogues I think the RB is in if you want a couple of photos of the pages, but you may already have them.

Robert wrote:I've no interest in owning a lump of well engineered old cast iron

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Vann » 23 Jan 2021, 23:43

Trevanion wrote:...I wonder what the "614" painted on the side is about, an identification number for items within the railyard? :eusa-think: ...
That number (actually "1614") is an identification number as you suggest. Each workshop had it's own number series for maintenance and record keeping purposes. In addition the motor has the number "1615" - and some machines had an additional number for the electrical starter (some of that early industrial switchgear was quite large).

If you look back at the first machine, RB 117, you'll see it's shop number was "463". And the second machine, RB 113, has shop number "925" on it (and "926" on the motor)

Trevanion wrote:...I've got a couple of Wadkin catalogues I think the RB is in if you want a couple of photos of the pages, but you may already have them.
I believe your catalogues may be more recent (1950s?). Yes, please post any RB pages in this thread.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 24 Jan 2021, 01:11

Vann wrote:I believe your catalogues may be more recent (1950s?). Yes, please post any RB pages in this thread.

Cheers, Vann.

I more recently picked up one from 1936, here's what I've got:

Also a couple more of the RD and RA for interest:

The other catalogues I have are later and don't feature the RB.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MartinF » 24 Jan 2021, 13:28

Going off topic slightly, my thanks to Vann for mentioning the Ferrymead Heritage Park. This has caused me to admonish my younger daughter who lives near Christchurch and who we have visited 3 times in the last 5 years. Prior to her moving to Christchurch, we had visited the city twice as tourists. Never once has this place been mentioned. On our trips to NZ, we’ve visited heritage parks in Auckland and Nelson as well as aircraft museums in Christchurch, Gore and Ashburton but never Ferrymead.

When I went to the museum in Gore, the Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre,

https://www.croydonaviation.co.nz/

I wandered round their workshop and noticed several items of Wadkin machinery. One of their specialities is repairing and conserving historic aircraft which were built primarily of wood hence all the woodworking machinery. I find it interesting that NZ has so many historic aircraft collections many of them with otherwise rare aircraft such as Mosquitos.
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jan 2021, 14:33

Martin,
You might also want to try https://www.tokomarusteam.com/the-museum and MOTAT

There is also a diesel powerstation in Palmerston that is being restored by enthusiasts and open about once a month I think. Years ago their open day did not fit our itinerary and I contacted them and they welcomed us on a Sunday when they were just there working on it. One of the guys there was also working with another outfit looking at electrically powered waste collection vehicles. This was 2012 so quite advanced thinking.
I could possibly dig out a contact if a Palmerston visit might be of interest to you.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Vann » 24 Jan 2021, 22:41

MartinF wrote:…When I went to the museum in Gore, the Croydon Aviation Heritage Centre,

https://www.croydonaviation.co.nz/

I wandered round their workshop and noticed several items of Wadkin machinery. One of their specialities is repairing and conserving historic aircraft which were built primarily of wood hence all the woodworking machinery...

Thanks for that. I've checked out a lot of museum sites in NZ looking for old woodworking machinery (especially Wadkin), but that's one place I haven't been yet.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Known Wadkin RB Surface Planers

Postby Vann » 25 Jan 2021, 09:06

Here's a list of all known Wadkin RB surface planers (actually I know of a lot more, but I'll expand this list as I go):
RB 109, test 4359 - New Zealand;
RB 113, test 4367 - New Zealand - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 116, test 4374 - New Zealand - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 117, test 4375 - New Zealand - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RBA 158, test 8623, of Sept., 1930, - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RBA 183, test 9335, of May, 1931, - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 190, test 9407, of June, 1931, - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 193, test 9452, of July, 1931, - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RBD 212, test 700, of July, 1932 - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag.
RBV 231, test 1041, of 1932 - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 256, test 2360, of 1934 - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag;
RB 409, test 9969, of 1938 - United Kingdom - Wadkin Ltd. tin tag;
RBA 497, test 25435, of 1945 - United Kingdom - Wadkin Ltd. tin tag;

Cheers, Vann.
Last edited by Vann on 17 Apr 2021, 13:19, edited 5 times in total.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Herringbone Gear Drive.

Postby Vann » 25 Jan 2021, 09:43

Right from when I first saw RB 117 advertised on Trademe I've wondered about that drive - so different from the vee belt drive on the later RB (and just about every other surface planer out there). So here it is close up

Three photos with the gearcase assembled:
RB 116c.jpg
(334.06 KiB)
RB 116d.jpg
(384.73 KiB)
RB 116e.jpg
(420.13 KiB)
Note the inspection cover in the top of the gearcase.

Three photos with the top half of the gearcase removed:
RB 116f.jpg
(310.49 KiB)
RB 116g.jpg
(353.45 KiB)
RB 116h.jpg
(405.65 KiB)
Cool gear teeth .

And two photos with the drive gear fully exposed:
RB 116i.jpg
(273.17 KiB)
RB 116j.jpg
(360.62 KiB)

A little while later, stripped of table slides and motor, it looks like it could be bench or stand mounted...
RB 116m.jpg
(395.7 KiB)
...until you look around the back and see it's a very different casting.

RB 116k.jpg
(360.87 KiB)
The motor shelf is attached by four bolts - two above deck and two that can only be accessed from below.

RB 116l.jpg
(364.16 KiB)
With shelf removed there's a cavity that may not have seen daylight since the 1920s (I used that to select the paint colour).

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Guineafowl21 » 25 Jan 2021, 15:45

A very interesting read, Vann. As you may remember, I have an RBD (DC machine, but with a replacement 3ph AC motor) that is in regular use in my shop:

F79253BC-CBF1-4273-8EE2-D9552C45C56F.jpeg
(271.45 KiB)

It shows a test number of 700, which you told me is 1932.
Guineafowl21
Sapling

Name:

Postby Vann » 25 Jan 2021, 22:43

Guineafowl21 wrote:...
The attachment F79253BC-CBF1-4273-8EE2-D9552C45C56F.jpeg is no longer available

It shows a test number of 700, which you told me is 1932.

Hi Gf. Yes, RBD 212, test 700, of July, 1932 - United Kingdom - Wadkin & Co. cast tag.

wRBD 212 700 UK.jpg
(1.31 MiB)
I've added it to the post three above (and will add each RB to that list as I work through them).

Thanks for the nudge.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 25 Jan 2021, 23:07

The gear drive is a very clever idea for making the machine compact enough to mount on a flat bench. I wonder if it's noisier than a belt-driven machine at all, the power transmission should be pretty much flawless with the gears though!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 25 Jan 2021, 23:12

Trevanion wrote:The gear drive is a very clever idea for making the machine compact enough to mount on a flat bench. I wonder if it's noisier than a belt-driven machine at all, the power transmission should be pretty much flawless with the gears though!

Agreed that the gearing permits a compact machine but must have been very costly and totally intolerant of any misalignment. There does not appear to be oil seals so must have been daily maintenance with oil or grease gun.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Vann » 26 Jan 2021, 07:21

9fingers wrote:...There does not appear to be oil seals so must have been daily maintenance with oil or grease gun.
You're right, there are no oil seals. IIRC the inspection cover says "oil". I have no instruction manual so not sure what sort of oil to put in there (it's not up and running yet). I'm assuming there should be a pool of oil in the gearcase, deep enough for the large gear to pick up. I guess a top up would be required every day.

The large herringbone gear I think is cast iron. The small gear is made of something like bakelite or micaboard. I'm dead scared of getting the alignment slightly wrong and shredding the small gear.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Vann » 26 Jan 2021, 07:38

Trevanion wrote:...I wonder if it's noisier than a belt-driven machine at all...
While I haven't run mine yet, I have returned to the Ferrymead Historical Park and left a sheet of paper giving a little history with the guys there. We also lubricated theirs (RB 113) and ran it (didn't plane any timber). That was a year or two ago - if I remember correctly it was a little noisy - but not excessively so.

Edit: Some brain scratching revealed a memory of videoing the RB (RB 113) running, and after some searching I found the video clip on my old cellphone. Now I have to wait for my daughter to load it to Youtube (actually I've been waiting at least 25 hours but she's always off somewhere... :eusa-naughty: )

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery