It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:50

Domino depth issue

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Domino depth issue

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2021, 16:32

I’ve not had my domino long, and only used on a few projects. I’ve just gone round and made all the cuts on a unit I’m making and then gone to try fit but seem to have an issue. I’m sure I’m reading it correctly but when set on 15mm I actually get about 11mm, and set on 20mm I get about 16mm, so about 4mm out. Looking at the mechanism for setting the depth there doesn’t seem to be any adjustment. Am I doing something wrong?

8C838B0A-F2E7-4CE6-B8D9-E739F1E30941.jpeg
(504.15 KiB)

1ACC6D3E-32D3-4282-8AAC-A33773DB27BA.jpeg
(285.94 KiB)
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Domino depth issue

Postby Custard » 28 Mar 2021, 17:05

Some possibilities,

-Dust extraction inadequate. You need really good dust extraction for a Domino to function properly, there's an awful lot of waste that needs to be quickly evacuated or else the bit overheats, blunts and fails to cut.

-You're not pushing the tool correctly, a slow steady push, taking maybe two or three seconds for a 15-20mm plunge. If you feel the machine "chatter" it means you're pushing too fast.

-There's an obstruction on one of the slide shafts. A common workaround to achieve non-standard plunge depths is to fit shop made collars on the shafts, sometimes you can forget to remove them.
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2021, 17:19

Thanks, tip about speed is a good one, I’m definitely pushing too hard. However if I measure the tool against the face of the domino it doesn’t stick out 15mm. I bought it new so can’t have anything on the shaft.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Nelsun » 28 Mar 2021, 17:32

IIRC, when new, they come with some kind of plastic clip on one of the plunge rods. This would certainly limit your depth of plunge if it was still there.
Nelsun
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Custard » 28 Mar 2021, 17:36

To build on Nelson's post, if you have that clip don't throw it away. It's really useful for adapting for non standard plunge depths!
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2021, 18:46

Checked, no plastic collar :( think I might need to contact festool on Monday.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Mar 2021, 19:34

Matt - which Domino is it? Custard is spot on. The usual culprits are insufficient or no extraction, and pushing too hard.

I see you are in Kent Weald. So not far from me. If you want to compare tool set up and plunge depth, you are welcome to pop round and try mine. Mine is dead on accurate.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 28 Mar 2021, 21:12

AJB Temple wrote:Matt - which Domino is it? Custard is spot on. The usual culprits are insufficient or no extraction, and pushing too hard.

I see you are in Kent Weald. So not far from me. If you want to compare tool set up and plunge depth, you are welcome to pop round and try mine. Mine is dead on accurate.

Thanks Adrian, very kind offer! It’s the DF500, and I’m in Staplehurst so if you’re near Tunbridge Wells not far away at all. I’ll see how I get on with Festool when I contact them but might take you up on the offer of a comparison to work out the issue!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Mar 2021, 21:40

OK. I have a 500. Staplehurst is not far. I expect Festool will sort you out though.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 30 Mar 2021, 08:05

Spoke to Festool - didn’t get into the issue just told me to complete the form online and it’ll be picked up the next day and returned in 48hours! I’ll leave it till after the bank holiday weekend so I can use it then.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Mar 2021, 09:45

Good. Festool service is excellent. They know that we all discuss their tools and service on FOG and elsewhere and in my experience they just crack on and fix stuff. I know some people with the Kapex saw motors burning out think differently, but that is a historic issue and current service and customer responsiveness is far better than most.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug71 » 30 Mar 2021, 13:22

Do you have another cutter you can try, how easy is it to plunge and do the Dominos fit in the hole for width and thickness?

I have heard of this problem when the tip of the cutter is damaged, I presume it would be difficult to plunge with the tip missing though!
Doug71
New Shoots

Name:

Postby MattS » 30 Mar 2021, 13:31

Only have the one cutter, but it definitely has the tip still. They do fit width and thickness wise although they're fairly tight. Difficult as a first time user to know how tight they should be. I put the tightness down to dominos having higher moisture content than is idea. Anyhow given the Festool response after this weekend it'll be going back for them to look at and work out the problem
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Mar 2021, 20:16

Dominos are supposed to be tight. I have (and use) all the cutter sizes and the dominos are always tight. They need to bottom out in the hole too so that you get equal depth both ways. I suspect you may well find that your machine is operating to spec. If you can make a joint that closes with the cutter and machine, then surely that is all that is needed?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2021, 22:51

AJB Temple wrote:....They need to bottom out in the hole too so that you get equal depth both ways. ...

Are you sure? Whenever I've measured them, there's always been a little slack on the length.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Mar 2021, 22:56

Yes - a little. As in weeny amount. Enough space for glue.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Apr 2021, 12:24

Just checked my domino

Not all cutters the same length. Cutters that are 49 mm cut to the marked depth

Another one only 45 mm long naturally cuts less than marked.

Just wondered if this is your problem ?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby HOJ » 02 Apr 2021, 18:19

The depth of cut/length is relevant to domino size you are intending to use, 4,5,6,8 or 10mm, can't see mention of which ones you are using.

As Bob outlined the cutters are different lengths to suit Domino sizes available.
HOJ
Sapling

Name: Paul

Postby HOJ » 03 Apr 2021, 07:36

Have to edit my post, its only the 4mm cutter that's short, but the available cutting depth is slightly different through the other sizes, to the depth of shoulder, so probably not a cutter issue.
HOJ
Sapling

Name: Paul

Postby Custard » 02 May 2021, 19:04

That explains it. The 4mm cutter (and the corresponding tiny 4mm domino biscuits) are a very recent addition to the Domino range. They're so thin that they couldn't support themselves without breaking if they were full length cutters, plus they're only really designed for drawer boxes made from relatively thin stock, so they'll never need a deep plunge or they'd punch right through the material.
Custard
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Jun 2021, 15:05

Where did we get to with this one Matt?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Return to Machines & Power Toolery