It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:11

ROS go faster bits

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

ROS go faster bits

Postby sunnybob » 30 Apr 2021, 08:02

I have a new toy... UMMMMM tool! I meant tool :lol:
I really like it, but now I want to expand its useage
Its an AEG 150 mm random orbital sander, switchable between 6 mm and 3 mm circles.
But I think I need something called a pad saver.
What is that and how much?
and I would like to use it as a wool mop polisher, so what do I need for that and how long do they last? 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: ROS go faster bits

Postby sunnybob » 30 Apr 2021, 15:24

Seriously? 42 views and nobody has an opinion?
Thats not like the ragamuffins i know around here
I know a lot of you are hand tool groupies, but surely someone knows about these. I want to know how long a wool buffer lasts. Is it only good for one application? If so I shant bother.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Apr 2021, 15:29

I know Axminster’s search engine does not always come up trumps but a quick foray using Pad Saver as the search term brings up a whole selection of Mirka items that should suit.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby greeno » 30 Apr 2021, 15:35

I can do pad saver, this is a secondary pad that velcros to the base. You then velcro the abrasive to that so the velcro lasts longer.

Think I should have got one as spent 5 mins sanding something without an abrasive on and wondered why I hadn't got anywhere :eusa-whistle:

There's probably a more sensible answer or there.

Quick Google comes up with discussions about soft and hard, the former good for curves.

Not sure about mops though.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby spb » 30 Apr 2021, 15:36

sunnybob wrote: But I think I need something called a pad saver.
What is that and how much?

Your ROS has a pad, which is replaceable but specific to the sander model and so can be a pain to source. The sanding discs stick to the pad using velcro, and are pretty much universal for a given diameter. What the pad saver does is sit in between the two - it's as universal as a sanding disc, as it just sticks on, and it protects the (more expensive and harder to find) pad from wear by being a sacrificial piece in front of it.

As Andy said, Axminster have a variety of them. They're about a fiver and up, depending on the size and hole pattern you need.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby sunnybob » 30 Apr 2021, 15:51

One question answered. Ta.
Must admit I have a30 year old (possibly that and a bit) B&D flat iron sander that is just now losing its grip. If the AEG lasts that long, it will see me out.
The wool polishing mop I would really like to hear the longevity of. If its one use throw away then that seems a bit expensive.
I'm truly a know nothing when it comes to finishing and polishing :?
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 30 Apr 2021, 15:56

careful near the edges of things as the pad saver is more compliant and will tend to take the edge of of the sharpness of details (no pun intended)
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Apr 2021, 16:41

I hesitated to comment as I have a Mirka Deros, not your tool.

The pad saver is sacrificial, as it is much cheaper to replace them than to replace the actual pad. The Mirka has two different sized pads and first class extraction, but is a powerful tool and will still wear out Velcro between the saver and the abrasive. I tend to use mesh abrasive. Once the Velcro on the pad itself has gone, it is toast. Have a spare pad in stock. Your pad saver MUST match the holes on your pad. If you buy third party ones, be careful of this. I've been caught out on that.

I especially use fine mesh if I am working towards a high gloss or super smooth finish. This is because the extraction through mesh is noticeably a lot better and will not dump grit particles on your work.

Polishing - it depends what you are trying to do. You can buy superfine nylon abrasives up to about 6000. I have used this to work on my sons car paint and also used this type of pad to polish out a scratch in glass (with jewellers polishing fluid). A lambswool mop and foam pad will polish wax etc but can leave swirls and you need to be 100% grit free. They last ages and ages if you wash them and are not crazily heavy handed.

As I said I don't have your tool. The Mirka is a paddle control and hence almost infinite speed control. A good ROS is a very useful bit of kit.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Apr 2021, 17:09

Watch out for thickness of the pad savers as well. See here .

As an aside we had a discussion about Velcro vs abrasive wear also here.

Forum's got a good search engine, Bob ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 30 Apr 2021, 18:10

My AEG has what seems to be a very common 8 hole circular pattern. I know that my local DIY shop only sells that type of pad so it must be the most common here.
The machine has a soft rubber skirt which hits any obstructions before the pad reaches it.

It also has a 6 speed electronic adjustment, of which the book tells me that fastest is best for wood. Is that correct?
I really like this tool, its already saved me hours of mind numbing hand sanding just on two items.

I might get a pad saver as they seem to be pretty cheap. Of course thats UK cheap. I havent found any here yet. There is a very big tool shop in Nicosia that most likely will have it, but we are under another 2 week lockdown and run the risk of very large fines if caught out of local post codes, and their web site isnt good for small items.
Sounds like I dont need the wool mop. I dont have nice paint on my car and I dont need glass finish on any of my wood projects. I'm happy with 320 grit finish under shellac or wax or even wipe on poly.
Ta muchly :eusa-clap: 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 30 Apr 2021, 19:28

Wool mops. Depends how they attach. I have a proper mop that slips round the former. Its washable and lasts a fair bit. If they velcro on to a ros I'd imagine they wouldnt like being washed.

A ros is also a bit quick for using a mop in my opinion.
Last edited by novocaine on 30 Apr 2021, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Apr 2021, 19:35

^^....a bit quick

Yes, I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned the almost infinitely variable speed control. It needs to be slow and let the mop do the work in my experience (ie don't press down). Zero experience with that AEG tool.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 30 Apr 2021, 20:24

As I said, it actually has a six speed gearbox (in a manner of speaking :lol: ) but i dont think the wool mop is for me.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 May 2021, 07:44

I didn't realize there were any such things as these pad saver thingies :eusa-doh: that stick 'twixt the abrasive and the machine surface. I just used some strips of 50mm wide velcro that I stuck onto the sole of the machine and I made the holes in the right places with an 8mm leather punch. I've done it twice now on my little Festool sander and it works a treat. Cheap as chips as well :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 01 May 2021, 14:34

Bob,

Car body refinishers use these ros machines with mirka pads.
Maybe one near you can tell you where he gets his supplies

I assume that there are a at least a few folks in Cyprus that want their cars to look nice after a prang so refinishers are not hard to find.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 01 May 2021, 14:50

I dont expect a problem getting a saver pad, apart from the fact the island is in a another 2 week lockdown, and the big tool shops are over an hour away in Nicosia.
Small items like that are either not on their websites or the whole thing is in Greek (damn unhelpful of them I think) so a personal visit is required.
I'm not desperate now, I actually have an empty order book :shock: .
But I cant abide doing nothing so I will have to come up with something else to build PDQ. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 02 May 2021, 07:45

Woodbloke wrote: I just used some strips of 50mm wide velcro that I stuck onto the sole of the machine and I made the holes in the right places with an 8mm leather punch. I've done it twice now on my little Festool sander and it works a treat. Cheap as chips as well :D - Rob

Good idea, will try it on the small Skil sander.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Machines & Power Toolery