It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:07

The importance of a straight arbour.

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

The importance of a straight arbour.

Postby heimlaga » 03 May 2021, 21:48

Some 10 or 12 years ago I did some repairs to the saw arbour on my Stenberg KEV 600 combination machine. Welded up the damage and filed it smooth to 0,05mm tolerance. Everything was straight and I enjoyed using it.

Little by little over the years I have come to hate the table saw because it just didn't work properly. The arbour nut came loose now and then and the sawn surface got progressively worse. I bough a new Edessö blade and tried to use it instead of my old many times resharpened blades but it didn't help. No blade did cut straight whatever I tried. It just seemed to get worse.
Then before christmas it suddenly struck me. What if the arbour is warped.
A quick check with a dial indicator showed that was the case and the bend was at the old repair. Apparently some residual stresses in the metal after welding had released themselves and as vibrations got worse more stresses were released and the arbour got even more bent.
Fortunately Åkesson Engineering in Frillesås, Sweden could supply a new old stock arbour for this 1957 Stenberg machine........ and suddenly I have a new table saw.
I also shifted the bearings in the motor and on the arbour once I was at it.

So....what did I learn:
A tiny bend in the arbour may be the difference between a good and an awful table saw. Even if it is too small to be visible by eye. Worth checking if your saw fights you!
Last edited by heimlaga on 04 May 2021, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
heimlaga
New Shoots

Name:

Re: The importance of a straight arbour.

Postby Trevanion » 03 May 2021, 22:52

Interesting that it took so many years to manifest itself, I wonder if that would be because the weld was weaker than the base metal of the arbour and so bent more readily in that area under load? Or as you say, stresses got released over time.

Nice that you've got the machine running like new again, I imagine a few owners would've simply brought in the scrap dealer to take it away.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: The importance of a straight arbour.

Postby Alf » 04 May 2021, 09:23

heimlaga wrote:Fortunately Åkesson Engineering in Frillesås, Sweden could supply a new old stock arbour for this 1957 Stenberg machine........

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Mind you, I just looked up the Stenberg KEV 600, and so is that! Well worth the effort to get running smoothly again.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery