It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:15

‘Smaller’ machines

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

‘Smaller’ machines

Postby Stuart » 04 Jun 2021, 17:58

A downsize means the old machines (separate planer and thicknesser) have been sold and I’m now in the market for some new but smaller stuff.

I’ve been keeping an eye on ebay but it would appear that silly prices are the order of the day. It’ll have to be a combination maxhine as no room for separates. Thinking about the smaller record which appears to have a reasonable recommendation but nothing currently in stock.

Are there any recommendations from the assembled masses on the better machines (and as importantly those to avoid). Budget is around the £800 mark but could be massaged upwards for the right machine.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Re: ‘Smaller’ machines

Postby spb » 04 Jun 2021, 19:52

The smaller Record being the PT260? If so, that's what I have. It works well, as long as you're realistic about what you expect from it - I don't generally use it for a finished surface, for example, and it does need careful setup.

For around that budget you've got a few options which are all basically the same design from different manufacturers (all based on the old Electra Beckum model); the Record or Metabo versions are the ones I settled on, getting the Record because it was in stock and slightly cheaper at the time.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Trevanion » 04 Jun 2021, 20:16

With the uptick of people getting into home woodworking and DIY, tools and machinery prices seem to be at an all-time high, as well as there being a big shortage of new gear across the board to the point where secondhand machines are fetching a higher value on eBay than they actually cost new, as there is no stock. Planer Thicknessers and Bandsaws are very popular as they are the essential machines for woodworking (Yes, I know it can all be done with a handsaw and smoothing plane, cut me a break will ya!) and so they command a premium. The Screwfix Titan P/T was a good example, since Screwfix aren't carrying at the moment because it is technically on paper a two-man lift which means that social distancing could not be followed if they sold the item, so they don't stock it at the moment, this machine is only £150 with Screwfix, but I've seen it sell for well over £200 on eBay a few times recently (Not that I'm looking for one :lol:)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb579pln-204mm-electric-planer-thicknesser-230v/15774

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titan-Planer-Thicknesser-Jointer-TTB579PLN-/265162345964?hash=item3dbce84dec%3Ag%3AL-0AAOSw0CdgoTJv&nma=true&si=40bWmnoafPWxkEuoeAXJq8Go7cs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There are a plethora of hobbyist-level planer thicknessers out there, but I think new equipment is either very scarce or just simply isn't in stock. You look on Axminster, Charnwood, Record Power, Scott and Sargeant, or practically anyone's website who deals in Planer Thicknessers, you will find that not one of them have a single planer thicknesser in stock for under £3000 which at that point you're getting into industrial-grade equipment.

The best bet would be to keep an eye on eBay, Facebook, Gumtree, and other places for a secondhand machine, but be aware that it's a seller's market at the moment and bargains are very few and far between, and if there is one it will be scoffed up in minutes so you have to be quick, no umming or ahhing.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stuart » 05 Jun 2021, 07:35

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is the 260 I’m looking at and should have said. Good to hear from someone who has one. My expectations aren’t massively high but as long as it’s accurate then I’ll be content with it.

I have had a look at those smaller machines but worry that they haven’t got the longevity even though they’re a lot cheaper. I don’t know anyone who’s had longer term experience with one either.

Stuff on ebay seems to be fetching what to me is silly money, obviously a reflection of the current market which is bereft of new kit. I’ll keep looking but also a bit concerned that you can end up buying a pup with little come back.

The good news is that I’m not in a rush so happy to wait for stock to arrive.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery