It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:34

replacement router.....le sigh

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: replacement router.....le sigh

Postby Craig Salisbury » 31 Aug 2021, 18:31

aww i had a 177 in the late 90's-early 00's, it was bloody marvelous. the final decision is in and rather than try and battle the minefield of quality used or buying something thats a bit of a lemon, im just going to get a
new Makita. hopefully i shouldn't have any issues.

cheers
Craig
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby Eric the Viking » 01 Sep 2021, 07:27

Jonathan wrote:
Eric the Viking wrote:Thanks for the graphite tip - I will seek some out (we have a locksmith in the village - worth a try).

E.
Soft pencil also works

Thanks! I did wonder about that.I have a 6B somewhere...
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 03 Sep 2021, 11:03

Late to this.

I have a Dewalt 625e, and, just recently, a Makita RP2301FCXK/2. The Makita is a generation better in holding and handling than the DeWalt. Obviously, I have no longevity data to offer on the Makita, but it simply is a superlative bit of kit. My arthritis does not kick off so much when using it too, so 'I persoom wot dey put in dampening, like'. The built-in L.E.D.'s make an astonishing difference to clarity on the cutting point too.

Just sayin'.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Trevanion » 03 Sep 2021, 11:38

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Late to this.

I have a Dewalt 625e, and, just recently, a Makita RP2301FCXK/2. The Makita is a generation better in holding and handling than the DeWalt. Obviously, I have no longevity data to offer on the Makita, but it simply is a superlative bit of kit. My arthritis does not kick off so much when using it too, so 'I persoom wot dey put in dampening, like'. The built-in L.E.D.'s make an astonishing difference to clarity on the cutting point too.

Just sayin'.

Yes, The Makita is a great bit of kit! The linear ball bearing guides on the plunge rods means you can plunge it with only a single finger so it’s super easy in operation and it doesn’t jam up and require lubricating all the time, I do think it isn’t quite as accurate as the traditional slide rod and bushes design as there does appear to be a tiny amount of play side-to-side as you plunge, but it is negligible. The soft start is nice because you don’t get the kick on start up like you used to get on older machines, I do find the brake a bit harsh though and it can kick if you haven’t got a firm hold of it. The LED lights are very good for following lines free-hand on timber. My only issue with mine was that the handles were rather sloppy and moved quite freely (that may have been a vibration dampening design, I don’t know) so I just put a couple of metal shims inside the handle mounting to prevent the movement.

It’s a good machine.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 04 Sep 2021, 08:58

....there does appear to be a tiny amount of play side-to-side as you plunge, but it is negligible...I do find the brake a bit harsh though and it can kick if you haven’t got a firm hold of it.

Thanks for the observations re plunging Dan; I hadn't copped that, will check next time out.

I have tended to lift any router off, or away from, the work face before switching off and that "kick" in open space can be a little surprising. With the Makita, I've learned to angle the cutter away from the cut face, but still rest it on the work where possible.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery