It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:15

Pallet Delivery Companies

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Pallet Delivery Companies

Postby AJE78 » 30 Sep 2021, 11:12

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or general advice to me on the subject of using pallet delivery companies (e.g Shipply) for the collection and delivery of machines. In particular I'm looking at a 10" Sedgwick PT, which is some distance from me at least 12 hours round trip I reckon. As I don't have a van I'm looking at van hire and fuel costs and although I've not had delivery quotes I reckon that pallet delivery will be the same if not cheaper than me self driving.

There's a big but and a massive worry though that I have never used a company for picking up heavy goods. I am also unsure of how careful these companies are and whether they'd just sling a strop under the tables, winch it in the van and leave me with a machine completely out of kilter?

Thanks in advance of any advice

Andy
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Re: Pallet Delivery Companies

Postby 9fingers » 30 Sep 2021, 11:53

No personal experience but Wallace (aka Mark) of this parish has had considerable experience including stuff falling off and insurance issues and I'm sure will be willing to advise.

Another method is to use Landy_Lift. Very good service and he tries to match up deliveries and collections to save on costs. Very good reputation for looking after your machines.
Last reference I have said Call Steve Cox on 07836 736496

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Cabinetman » 30 Sep 2021, 13:17

Hi, I once used a company called Palletline who are part of a national group, it wasn’t a big piece of equipment but lots of bits that I had lashed together on a pallet, they arrived with a tailgate lorry the guy used one of those hand pushed pallet trucks, on the lorry and away, 200 miles for £50, it all arrived safely. I can’t see much that could go wrong as long as you use ratchet straps and lots of packing around it.
Perhaps drive over and supervise the packaging of it on its pallet? Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Trevanion » 30 Sep 2021, 13:32

I’ve had good fortune with pallets but there are a lot of horror stories, Wallace has had a couple of really bad experiences with machines and even ones he’s just restored. I use Palletline as one of the local hauliers is contracted with them and has very tidy drivers and usually it’s them that drop it off. A lot of it is how the item is affixed to the pallet.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 30 Sep 2021, 13:59

No personal experience but there's a user on the mig-welding forum called fizzy who runs a pallet shipping company. I've seen him offering lots of advice on how to get stuff palletised well/safely and also lots of comments from people who have used his service saying how good it was.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby RogerS » 30 Sep 2021, 14:04

I used Palletline when I got my Sedgwick MB. I felt that shipping it assembled was stretching things especially if it wasn't tied down or bolted down properly and so the beds were taken off and put on a second smaller pallet. Happy to use them again.

The advantage of a pallet IMO is that a forklift truck will be used and not someone lifting it up by the tables. But having said that I'd stick a nice chunky bit of timber slightly shorter than pallet size and place it underneath the ables and wind the thicknesser bed up to secure it.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJE78 » 30 Sep 2021, 16:51

Cheers all that's a lot of really useful and helpful info for me to get into and work things out. I'm keen not to be one of the horror stories. So there's plenty of stuff there to help try and keep me the right side of disaster!

On a similar theme, can anyone recommend a trolley/dolley I'm not sure of the right name for it. But that is sold for plonking heavy machinery on in the workshop so it can be moved about? I saw Malc had a super duper up down one but I'd just be looking for one that is static and I could use to push the PT to middle of the workshop. Where's a place I could get something like that from?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Sep 2021, 17:58

Well, usual approach is to use one of those wheeled frame gizmos if the weight isn't too much. Or get some lockable castoring wheels and some ply and make your own.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Artiglio » 30 Sep 2021, 23:29

I’ve received quite a few pallet deliveries over the last 18 months and as mentioned in a coouple of the posts above, the condition of what arrives is largely a reflection of the quality/size of pallet and packaging onto the pallet.
The other differentiator netween pallet deliveries is the pallet truck they have , some have just a basic pump truck with lots of associated huffing and puffing from a stressed driver and those with electric driven trucks that move stuff with zero effort and so seem to be gentler on the deliveries.
Artiglio
New Shoots

Name: Phil

Postby AJE78 » 01 Oct 2021, 11:45

Cheers All, really good help as always.

Dr Al - I followed up your advice about Fizzy. Absolutely superb guy so I've got a price and advice from him. Its always interesting when you speak to folks who do this thing all the time because it helps you stop worrying and also realise that what you thought was actually a big deal isn't. When I said I the machinary I was looking at weighed around 260Kg...."oh that's featherweight!" he said!

Rog - I'll likely build my own, wasn't sure if that was the done thing for machines. Will make sure I get some heavy rated castors!
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Oct 2021, 12:07

AJE78 wrote:Cheers All, really good help as always.

Dr Al - I followed up your advice about Fizzy. Absolutely superb guy so I've got a price and advice from him. Its always interesting when you speak to folks who do this thing all the time because it helps you stop worrying and also realise that what you thought was actually a big deal isn't. When I said I the machinary I was looking at weighed around 260Kg...."oh that's featherweight!" he said!

Rog - I'll likely build my own, wasn't sure if that was the done thing for machines. Will make sure I get some heavy rated castors!

And with brakes !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJE78 » 01 Oct 2021, 12:28

An extremely good point! Or else it could go like this....

I've got some good news and some bad news......the good news is I got the machinery the workshop. The bad news there were no brakes on the castors and its gone out the other side and into next doors garden! :shock:
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby AJE78 » 30 Oct 2021, 09:44

I thought I'd update and also say thanks to all who helped advise me on this.

The pallet delivery all went fine. I used Speedshift in the end who did a good job in getting it through the pallet network. The chap on the welding forum was very helpful with advice. They had powered pallet trucks and were able to pick up from the seller and drop off at my end without any issue. My main concern being they wouldn't turn up in time or perhaps be a bit difficult about it were unfounded. Pallet firms don't get good reviews and I ended up worrying about whether everything was going to be ok.

I guess my top tips are (and I guess this is probably well known to folks who do this a lot) and I am definitely not an expert in these matters! Probably more stuff that I thought seemed useful so in case it helps:

1. Securing the machine is key. I sent the seller four ratchet straps and he also bolted it to the pallet. Make sure it's solid fix.
2. The insurance rate they offer as standard basically covers you for the scrap metal rate. They usually offer an upgrade fee so that you can get covered above the basic rate. Double check what the terms are and pay an upgrade if needed.
3.Take a few good photos of the machine when you've palleted it to show it's been properly secured and fixed. If the machine is damaged and there is a dispute you will want these to show that damage is not a result of poor palleting.

Thanks again for the good advice

Andy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery